Bullets--Expanding and Penetrating

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Bullets--Expanding and Penetrating

Post by getitdone1 »

Had a little experience in the past and recently with bullet performance through 1 gallon plastic milk jugs filled with water and capped tightly.

Penetration about 5 jugs with typical centerfire rifle cartridges of various calibers.

9 jugs with Hornady 375 H&H mag 300 gr solid. Soon try this one on 15 jugs after 2 by 6 lengthening for more "jug room."

300 gr HP Remington 45-70 bullet stopped in the 3rd jug and flattened completely out. Loaded hot.

55 gr BlitzKing, .243 Winchester penetrates 1 jug and few fragments in 2nd. Maybe 3800 fps.

405 gr 45-70, Remington factory cartridge penetrated 7 jugs but last two were still left on the board both leaking considerably from fragments. Only 13-1400 fps and what a performance for such a slow and large bullet. Couldn't find this bullet. Very pleased to see this.

I know some of you read this in more detail before but every post can reap new responses with additional bullet performing experiences.

My main reason for this post is to, hopefully, learn of others experiences with fast expanding and penetrating bullets.

I recall seeing on the internet where a guy shot a 45-70 with heavy cast bullets through 12 jugs filled with water. Will say, don't think those jugs were quite as wide as my plastic milk jugs.

Next up will be various loads for 22 magnum rimfire, 9mm Luger, 45 Colt, .348 Winchester, .243 Winchester. First will be the 375 H&H again with the 300 gr FMJ Hornady bullet with 15 jugs lined-up on the board. I turn the jugs all in the same position with handles to left side and lined-up as perfectly as possible. Distance about 25 ft from muzzle and gun lined-up as perfectly as possible with ALL the jugs. Both vertically and horizontally. Trying to go through the center of all the jugs.

I'm curious about the 30-30 but don't have a gun for it at this time. Plenty of ammo now and a gun in near future. Especially curious about the 170 gr Nosler Partition--which I have loaded. Also a fast 125 gr load. Well...fast for the 30-30.

I'm often told when talking about penetration in media other than animals: "Just no comparison, of little practical value, etc." I disagree and that should be good for a few more responses.

Believe me, when you do this--also shooting at vegetables--it's a lot more fun when you record it with your camcorder for future viewing. You can hook-up camcorder to big screen TV and also transfer from camcorder to DVD and mail'em out to gun loving friends.

Don McCullough
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Bullets--Expanding and Penetrating

Post by J Miller »

getitdone1 wrote:<snip>

I'm curious about the 30-30 but don't have a gun for it at this time. Plenty of ammo now and a gun in near future. Especially curious about the 170 gr Nosler Partition--which I have loaded. Also a fast 125 gr load. Well...fast for the 30-30.

<snip>

Don McCullough
Don,
I'm right next door in IL and I got two 30-30s. Maybe we should try to set up a get together and shoot some of your jugs. I think that would be a blast. Pardon the pun.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Shooting water jugs like you describe is a great way to compare bullets neck and neck. You'll learn how they perform at a certain velocity, which one's lose weight, which one's have jacket/core seperation, the overall expansion at different velocities, etc. If you are picking a bullet to load for hunting an excersise like this is great to pick a bullet that performs within your own criteria to you expectations. NOTE: a 300 gr 375H&H is probably yawing at 25 feet. If you backed up to 25 yds or 50 yds you would probably see twice as much penetration. I think it would be useful to use a layer of material, wood or newspaper up front to simulate a different resistance and elasticity that animal hide would impart on the bullet. That would likely change the results a bit and make there more similar to actual performance on game. Have fun - it sounds like a great test and I'd love to see your results.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

I've done some gel testing primarily of .357 magnum and 12 ga slug loads. I also tested some .22 mag loads from my single six, which did not expand at all, and cruised right through 15" of 10% gel.

While expensive, I like test media with a memory so I can see the "wound" channel afterward.
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com