Tumbler Additives?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Tumbler Additives?

Post by El Chivo »

Recently Tutt was showing us some tumbler additive that put a factory sheen on brass cases.

I got to thinking about it and, since I don't have enough for a Midway order, decided to try things that were around the house.

I put in 1/4 cup of dry laundry detergent, 1 tablespoon of baking soda, and a small squirt of silver polish. So far, after two cycles (two hours or so) the cases look much brighter than normal, and the residue around the case mouth is nearly gone. Plus my bedroom smells as fresh as a daisy.

I usually run them three cycles and just accept the remaining residue, so I'm thrilled that these are cleaner than normal. I'm even starting to think it might be possible to pre-lube the cases in the tumbler somehow - that would be great.

What have you tried in your tumbler?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Re: Tumbler Additives?

Post by firefuzz »

El Chivo wrote: I'm even starting to think it might be possible to pre-lube the cases in the tumbler somehow - that would be great.
Are you using a true "tumbler" or a viberating tub? I'd be concerned with getting lube inside the cases.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Guncase
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Guncase »

I just add a little Mother's polish paste to the media in my vibrating tub.
" I never went to college, but I sure paid for my education."
A favorite quote from my Grandfather.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Ok so your tumbler is in the ....bedroom? Do ya sleep well?
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I use a goodly dollop of Brasso with the corncob media. Brass looks nice and new after a couple of hours.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I use Brasso as well, but have heard that isn't good on the cases. Something about making them brittle? I dunno, I've never verified it causes any damage so I reckon I'll keep using it.
NRA Life Member
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Bullard4075 wrote:Ok so your tumbler is in the ....bedroom? Do ya sleep well?
it's set for 10 am, and I have cursed it aloud on occasion.

After the third cycle I examined all the cases. The silver polish I put in is probably similar to Brasso, and some had lumps sticking to some cases leaving tarnished spots. It was a cream and it wetted some of the media, on occasion making it clump inside cases. But I didn't use all that much of it.

I don't think the baking soda did much, I'm giving a lot of credit to the laundry detergent. The cases are clean and feel slick. Some cases still had soot on the mouths which wiped right off with a napkin. However I was wrong about it smelling like a daisy. It's more like fresh as the morning dew.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I have tried several types of additive and quit all of them, it seems to leave chunks of additive mixed with media in the primer pockets and inside the cases, a real mess.

Best thing I have found so far is to give each case a little twist with 0000 steel wool before you throw in the polisher. Only takes about 2 seconds per case, cuts down the time needed to polish by about 2/3, especially with cases that may have some carbon blackening on the necks.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I have been using Mother's Mag Polish in pet store crushed walnut shell bird beding for years with no complaints.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Had to dig and find this thread: Heard a guy today talking about putting plain Comet in his case cleaning viberating tub along with the media. Have any of you ever heard of this or done it?

Rob

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

I've used the pretreated media from Midway, the Frankford Arsenal additive, Flitz and a cap full or two of Color Back car polish. All work well with no clumping or residue in primer pockets. Generally, though, I run the vibratory tumbler for a minute or two with no brass in it after putting in the additive. That ensures it mixes well with the media and prevents clumping.

I avoid Brasso or other metal polishes. I have also read about them making the brass brittle.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I use IOSSO. Following the directions I have had zero problems and great results.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

I just use corncob with a little Lyman Turbo charger, followed by a few minutes of dry corncob. I have never had really dark range brass, though.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I've tried a bunch of different ones from Flitz to Mothers and I've settled upon the cheapest liquid wax that WalMart has on sale. For me, they all work about the same so I go for cost now. Currently I've been using Turtlewax in my lizard litter and I can get my cases looking new in under 2 hrs as long as I keep the litter fresh. When it gets really dirty I bag it up and throw it out. Clean litter cleans the brass better.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

COSteve wrote: lizard litter
Okay, I'll bite...where do you get lizard litter?

Rob

Because I can!

mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I have tried all kinds of media and additives for tumbling and vibrating (I am a confirmed tinkerer!). I tried, dried coffee grounds, kitty litter (diotomacious earth), beach sand, dried beans (and I've heard rice works well), brass nuts 10-32, a new cat litter Good Mews (made from recycled paper), lizzard litter, and corn cob. That's just what I can remember. Most work to some degree but I settled on Lizzard Litter (Crushed Walnut) and corn cob. http://www.drillspot.com/products/49976 ... last_media is the best deal I've found yet.

I don't like to use any additives in my media and am satisfied with a satiny sheen (walnut) or a low gloss shine (corn cob). No clumps, no residue, no probs. with flash holes, easy...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

firefuzz wrote:
COSteve wrote: lizard litter
Okay, I'll bite...where do you get lizard litter?

Rob
I get mine from PetSmart. It's crushed Walnut shells sold for pet lizzard cages.
Mike
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I get lizzard litter from Petsmart. I use a dryer sheet to remove the dust from the litter.
I use Dillon case polish additive.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

So what do ya do with the lizard while your cases are tumblin??

No, no never mind I don't want to know.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

Dont use no additive, just tumble with brown or white rice. Wipe cases before tumbling with methylated spirit. Gets rid of any external powder fouling that you get with straight walled cases. Also gets rid of the wax residue if using conventional lubed projectiles.

Dont use no lizards goannas or crocs, they wont fit in the tumbler. ha ha ha!!!
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Bullard4075 wrote:So what do ya do with the lizard while your cases are tumblin??

No, no never mind I don't want to know.
It's best to staple them to a wall, tail up. If you are out of staples, good old Duct Tape will do ok, just make sure their tail is above their head.
Mike
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I finally got around to trying Comet in the tumbler with regular corn media (got to try the rice idea next time).

After an hour and a half (about half the time I normally do it) the cases look really bright. I did wipe the necks with a scouring pad first, that leaves a lot of soot on the pad before going in.

Well, here's a pic:

brass.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Did you use powder or liquid Comet?

Rob

Because I can!

savagefan
Levergunner

Post by savagefan »

I use a 50/50 mix of Lyman Green cob and Tuff nut. I always use a couple of old dryer sheets to take out the grime and every second buzzin' I add a TBSP of Nu Finish.
I hate seagulls.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Flitz has a polishing additive which seems to work real well with walnut media.
Have you hugged your rifle today?