Bad Boy Today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Bad Boy Today

Post by Beaker »

Went to purchase a full choke for my Remington model 1100 today. I purchased a Carlsons extended choke then I started looking around. To make a long story short, I ended up bringing home a new Marlin model 60SS .22 autoloader too. This will take over for my Remington model 550-1 that has bolt issues. The Remington .22 will be retired to a wall hanger status.

Since my wife is out visiting family in Seattle now, I was just too overwhelmed with temptation to replace my .22 auto. You know a man can only stand so much, resistance is futile I guess. I am sure you will all understand.

Beaker
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Bad Boy Today

Post by rjohns94 »

oh yeah, we understand. how bout some pictures??
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Same thing happened to me about 2 weeks ago, I went in for a pound of Blue Dot, wound up costing me about $ 450.00, a pesky TC Contender 14" .30-30 grabbed me by the ankle and wouldnt let go. :shock: :D
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I am trying to figure out the "bad boy" reference in the topic title... :?:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

The bad boy refers to the instructions from my wife for no more firearms for a while. Also, I cannot post any pictures because my wife took the digital camera with her.
:roll:
Beaker
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I guess the "clever" icon was needed... :lol: Sorry 'bout that. To make up let me help you with the photo thing...

Of course the photo IS missing some bare feet but maybe Y2K can photoshop his into the photo for you.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

The Remington 550 was one of the finest rimfire auto's made. What sort of bolt problems are you having? I know someone that specializes in them.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

The bolt has a chip of metal broken off on the front and I cannot find a replacement bolt for it. :x
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

you're not so bad.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Timothy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Timothy »

I really hope it works out for you, but a buddy of mine bought two last year and neither would feed reliably. You might start with copper coated bullets in nickle cases. Good luck
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Google: Bob's Gunshop, Arkansas, he has a model 550 bolt.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I think you will find better pricing and service from these guys.

www.dickwilliamsgunshop.com
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Beaker wrote:The bad boy refers to the instructions from my wife for no more firearms for a while. Also, I cannot post any pictures because my wife took the digital camera with her.
:roll:
Beaker
You're in TROOOOUUUBLE now. :lol:

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Beaker wrote:Since my wife is out visiting family in Seattle now, I was just too overwhelmed with temptation to replace my .22 auto. You know a man can only stand so much, resistance is futile I guess. I am sure you will all understand.

Beaker
Hey, this is Leverguns.com, not Autoloader.com so while she's still in Seattle, march yourself down to the shop and pick up a proper 22lr levergun. You can't go wrong with a little Henry carbine (H001) or Frontier (H001T) model (sans the scope). I have Marlin 60, a couple of 10-22s, a High Std pump, and a Henry and to tell the truth, the Henry is the only one I shoot anymore. The action is smooth as glass and it's accurate as heck too. Best of all, it's just a hoot to shoot!
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

Hey, this is Leverguns.com, not Autoloader.com so while she's still in Seattle, march yourself down to the shop and pick up a proper 22lr levergun. You can't go wrong with a little Henry carbine (H001) or Frontier (H001T) model (sans the scope). I have Marlin 60, a couple of 10-22s, a High Std pump, and a Henry and to tell the truth, the Henry is the only one I shoot anymore. The action is smooth as glass and it's accurate as heck too. Best of all, it's just a hoot to shoot!
Beaker wrote:Since my wife is out visiting family in Seattle now, I was just too overwhelmed with temptation to replace my .22 auto. You know a man can only stand so much, resistance is futile I guess. I am sure you will all understand.

Beaker
CO Steve,

Yes, I am a big Henry fan, I have 2 .22lr Golden Boys and .22.lr Accu-bolt along with a brass and octogon .30-30.

The Remington 550-1 was purchased used by my Father in 1976 and given to me for Christmas that year thus it is my first and was for many years my only fire arm. I would like to keep it in good shape as it is a very accurate rifle and some day pass it on to my Son, and or grand children.

However there are a couple of issues with the Remington. First, the bolt is apparantly the week link in the 550-1 design and I cannot find a replacement bolt, although the rifle currently shoots fine with the chip in the bolt. I would like to find a replacement bolt for safety and to prevent possible further damage to the rifle. If fired rapidly the action likes to jam and I think the jamming is what damaged the bolt.

Second, I am very much left handed and cannot shoot at all right handed ( this is a major reason why I prefer leverguns like my Henrys). The design of the 550-1 with the deflector shield guide the spent cases, gas and powder residue on to my right arm which is not really something I enjoy, thus I really do not like to shoot the rifle. Its also a pain to clean.

I still like to have a semi auto in my collection for an extra rifle for plinking and my sons to use while we are out together and have an auto loader that I enjoy shooting. My autoloader Remington 1100 12ga. is a joy to shoot and does not bother me at all because the spent shells deflect up and away from my arm.

With that all being said though, my Henry lever actions are my favorite to shoot and bolt actions are awkward for me to shoot.

Beaker
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Good on ya then. I know what you mean about bolt guns. I just can't get comfortable with them any more.

BTW, why haven't you shown us a picture of your new toy and also where is the range report on it??
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Congrats Beaker! You may find that after some more time in collecting, that your collection will grow to the point that the wife won't know what's new and old... :wink:

And great job locating that part Gunsmith!
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Stash at friends house. Leave with empty gun case to go shooting...have beer, come back with new gun in case. Shut up and stick to your story. :twisted:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I think the 550-1 is probably the best .22 rifle ever built. My dad bought one for me in the spring of 1953. About 15 years ago I had to replace a broken firing pin. I can't even think how many billion rounds I have put through that rifle, not counting all the grand kids learning to shoot with it.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15