ON TOPIC!!!! Browning BLR

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

ON TOPIC!!!! Browning BLR

Post by rjohns94 »

I'm sure we have been down this road before, but what are your thoughts of the BLR? What are your favorite calibers? How about some pics? I happen to be the new owner of a 1971, NIB never fired, belgium made, .308 with really nice light wood. Can't post pictures yet of it but I will. If you have a .308, what is your preferred ammo? I have never much appreciated these because of their non-94 look, but this one was love at first sight. :D Mine came with rings and mount and I'm considering mounting the rest of the handle to it, what are your recommendations for the .308 out of this baby? I was thinking one of those low powered variables from leopold.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Don McDowell

Re: ON TOPIC!!!! Browning BLR

Post by Don McDowell »

Both the BLR's that live here prefer Remington factory loads and brass. One is an original 308, the other is an 81 steel recievered 243. I know of another pair of 308 and 243, both FN's that prefer remington factory..

Forgot to mention the 308's are pretty amiable as to bullet, and powder but for hunting do show a real preference for the Hornady 165 bt interloc shoved out the barrel with 45.2 grs or 748.
Also the rem bulk 125's with a case full of 4064 or RL 15 will shoot minute of prairie dog a loooonnggg ways out.
Last edited by Don McDowell on Thu May 20, 2010 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

2x7 power will give you all you will ever need!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I thought the "regular" length scope (about 11 inches) seemed to throw off the balance and just looked out of place. The Burris compact is 8.75" in 3X9 power and fits and looks great. This is not my own rifle but a good friends that I have used several times and I helped him buy it and set it up. I experimented quite a bit with 308 out of 20 and 22 inch barrels to find a game load. What I found was that a velocity less than the factory loads gave more consistent bullet performance. We tried different bullet weights and velocities and shot a few exotics with each load to measure performance. We settled on the 165gr weight. I shoot this exclusively out of my Sav 99 and Mike uses it out of his BLR. I loaded 165 gr Nosler Partions to 2550 fps for hunting medium game and loaded the Remington Core-lokt in the same weight for paper practice (same load -same point of impact with these 2 bullets). We shot Impala, Gemsbok, Waterbuck, Blesbok in Africa and good sized Whitetail and a Scimitar Horned Oryx in the USA. All were one shot kills with excellent bullet performance and all exits but the Waterbuck where the bullet lodged in the neck bone after penetrating around 24". I hope this gives you some reference points to work with.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

IMO, the Browning BLR is arguably the best hunting lever-gun ever to hit the market.

My favorite caliber is .358 Win of course, with the .308 not far behind.

BLR's often exhibit downright spooky accuracy with their favorite loads.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I've got one in .222 Rem which was custom built on one of the old steel receiver models using a Remington barrel.
On a few occasions I've threatened to use it as a tomato stake and not long ago I offered to sell it to the first club member who would offer me more than a $1 for it. :lol: ( maybe BLR stands for Bloody Lousy Rifle :? )
They can be frustrating as hell till you get the kinks sorted out and after that they can still be a bit finicky, and lord help you if you drop the magazine on concrete or any hard surface because if it isn't right it just will not feed.
In our open lever action competition at clubs throughout Oz the BLR is the dominant force and here in the west many of them have been converted to .222 by a smithy who is a club member.
The reason they dominate is because they are as accurate as a good bolt action and the high velocity calibers and pointy bullets make them very effective on windy days and also for shooting at the running targets because you don't need to lead when a pig runs 7 meters in 3 seconds on the 50 meter range.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

My 243 81 is very accurate and smooth. 4x or 1.5-5x would be my idea of ideal.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Nice acquisition. I would recommend nothing more than a good fixed wide angle four power scope for it. I would also recommend that you start looking for an extra magazine. They are no longer made (the early ones), very scarce and expensive. The (early BLR) .243 and the.358 magazines are the same and interchangable.

I submitted a 15 page article to Paul just yesterday for posting on this site. It covers a complete years worth on research on the BLR's. Hope it helps! It should be posted soon.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Bruce wrote:Nice acquisition. I would recommend nothing more than a good fixed wide angle four power scope for it. I would also recommend that you start looking for an extra magazine. They are no longer made (the early ones), very scarce and expensive. The (early BLR) .243 and the.358 magazines are the same and interchangable.

I submitted a 15 page article to Paul just yesterday for posting on this site. It covers a complete years worth on research on the BLR's. Hope it helps! It should be posted soon.
I was going to mention your article. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Can't say much more than has already been said. I used my BLR 308 throughout the 90's as my main deer rifle. Factory Remington 150 gr was all I needed for whitetail. I started reloading and moved on to other calibers , but will never sell the BLR. I have a straight 4 power weaver on my which I've always wanted to change out with a 2x7 . If you hunt in any wooded area I would go with the new Redfield 2x7.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

"ON TOPIC!!!! "
:lol: So that's what they look like :lol:

BLR = great acquisition Mike :)
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

A couple of things that seem to help these rifles shooting clover leaf groups.
If you shoot over 3 shot groups give those thin littl barrels plenty of time to cool. They will most generally put the first three almost in the same hole, then as the barrel heats the groups will open up.
Tightening the bolt in the front of the forearm just as tight as you can get it without damaging it , seems to help a great deal.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

thanks for the info. I needed this one like I need a hole in my head (besides the ones there) but it felt light and fast to the shoulder and in a pretty much universal caliber for whitetail, may get to see some shooting time. I heard before they were accurate. I like the idea of looking for an extra magazine. thats a good idea. Any difference in the mags for the various versions of the BLR out there? thanks again
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Lots of luck finding a spare magazine for that one, and be sure and have your checkbook ready when you do....
Seems like every time they changed something the magazines got a revamp as well... :o
Fiddler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Fiddler »

Love everything about my BLR except the trigger.
Too bad it takes an act of Congress to improve the trigger pull on these things. :(
Just send it (and a wad of money) to Timbuktu and wait.
edsguns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edsguns »

The BLR is a fine rifle and I especially like the old steel receiver guns. I think a low powered variable looks the best atop the short BLR action and a 1-4x20 Leupold (on my BLR/.358) or even a 1-3x20 V3 Weaver would make a nice set-up for that rifle. I also think a gloss finish scope looks a bit better too. All three of my BLRs wear two piece Weaver bases.
We are responsible for leaving the same legacy of freedom and rights given to us for our children and grandchildren.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Mike,

I had one just like yours ( the Ice Queen got that one in the divorce :evil: ).

Fantastic rifle and deadly accurate. Even with a rather heavy trigger pull.
I had an old Weaver K4 on that seemed like it was just made for it(managed to sneak the scope off
before she picked it up).
Liked 150 gr bullets the best.

Hang on to this one. Your gonna like it :D
I'd love to pick up anoter.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

If you go light bullets Mike my Remmy 700 loves Hornady 110grn V-max and 50grns (case full) of H4895 and a cci BR primer. Seems real quick and I think they would work on small sub 100lb deer between the ribs square on (not tested yet).

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

My BLR is chambered for the 358 Win so I can't offer any load advice. The first load I tried through mine consistently went into 1.5" groups so I declared a halt to load development, removed the scope and called it good. It's done well on a couple of hunts since. Now, I'm looking at putting a scope back on because the sights aren't as user friendly as they once were. I picked up a used Leupold 4x28 and sent it back to Leupold for a heavy duplex reticle. I think that will be a good combo.
Well done is better than well said.
Goat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Goat »

Can't comment on the 308 but I do have a steel framed 358. As others have said the trigger is not the best but is certainly usable for a hunting gun. Mine has had acceptable accuracy with everything I ever tried but really likes 200gr Hornady RN. My current load is with IMR 4895 and the 225 Nosler Partition. I have always had a Leupold 2.5-8x on my BLR and like it. A smaller scope would doubtless look better but the 2.5-8 is outstanding. I think you will find that the BLR is one great hunting rifle. Enjoy your new toy.
Goat
"To know HIM and make HIM known"
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

I had one in 308 which was a great shooter. I found out just this week that they made them in 257 Roberts, that sounds cool.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

close as you ever get to .308 chambered in a winchester 94. fast handleling in the brush, flat enough for those 300+ yard shots on elk. my old steel frame is as accurate as a lot of bolt-actions. it's a hunting rifle. 8) 8) 8)
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

I've had a couple. One is just like yours. Steel frame, made in Belgium. Horrible trigger on it sometimes though. Off the bench it shoots tight, little groups with RL 15 and 165 Hornady spire points. Really a good load for everything. I gave this rifle to my nephew, who is extremely deadly with that gun.
The other one I have is my 358. I really like this rifle. It has a very decent trigger and shoots great. It' prefers the 200 grain Hornady spire points over everything else. Who cares, that load will kill an elk within this cartriges range anyway.
I have only seen one that was inaccurate and it's a 284. I'm fairly certain this fellow who owns it doesn't make the best reloads though. I did run into one in 270 that shot great, but wouldn't chamber a reload so I didn't go after it.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I bought my first BLR about 20 yrs ago. It's a steel framed .308 win. It's my favorite deer rifle, bar none. I did have a gunsmith do a trigger job on it. And I have shot it so much that, I believe the trigger has gotten better with age. I am quite happy with my trigger, for general hunting.

Many years ago, I bought a large quantity of Winchester 180gr silvertips, and my rifle shoots them into about 2.5 to 3 inches at 200yds. That's good enough for me, and the 180gr silvertips have always been very reliable killers on everything, so I have not even experiemented since then, with different bullets. If it ain't broke, why fix it.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

rjohns94 wrote: Any difference in the mags for the various versions of the BLR out there? thanks again
Yep. The one best for yours has a fairly tall follower.

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=27486
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
stinson
Levergunner

Post by stinson »

Stainless/laminated/takedown in .325 WSM, shooting Barnes 200 grain TSX handloads. Good for anything on the continent. Amazingly accurate, despite the trigger. You can't do better for an all-around big game rifle.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Mike, I have a Weaver V7 (2x-7x) if you want it. Might be just the thing for brush out to 300 yards.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

alnitak, I might take that off your hands for the right price. Tried calling you a couple of times to let you know about this one and discuss it with you. give me a call some time.
Mike Johnson,

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

My buddy has a straight gripped BLR in 7mm Rem Mag.(what a gun!)The wood/bluing is unreal!
He teases me all the time because he knows I would love to have that gem!
7mm mag in a sweet Lever----------priceless! :wink:
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

I went out fri and shot mine in 243.sweet rifle and accurate.mine has a 2x7 redfield on it.I had no problems with the fed fac. ammo.the 100 gr sp was printing 1 - 1 1/2 groups at 100 yards. :D plinking soda cans got boring :lol: .the trigger on mine id great compared to the other stuff I was shooting :mrgreen:
pete

DAV life member.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

rjohns94 wrote:alnitak, I might take that off your hands for the right price. Tried calling you a couple of times to let you know about this one and discuss it with you. give me a call some time.
The right price is free. Just keep me in mind if you decide to get rid of the scope in the future. It comes with Burris rings.

Hmmm...had my cell with me all day. Will have to check it.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
edsguns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edsguns »

stinson wrote:Stainless/laminated/takedown in .325 WSM, shooting Barnes 200 grain TSX handloads. Good for anything on the continent. Amazingly accurate, despite the trigger. You can't do better for an all-around big game rifle.
One of my BLRs is a blue/walnut pistol grip .325WSM. Mine is also a good shooter and I like the weight and length for such a powerful cartridge. Very nice carrying rifle. :mrgreen:
We are responsible for leaving the same legacy of freedom and rights given to us for our children and grandchildren.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

alnitak wrote:
rjohns94 wrote:alnitak, I might take that off your hands for the right price. Tried calling you a couple of times to let you know about this one and discuss it with you. give me a call some time.
The right price is free. Just keep me in mind if you decide to get rid of the scope in the future. It comes with Burris rings.

Hmmm...had my cell with me all day. Will have to check it.

Awesome group of people in this forum. :D
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I hope we get a link to Bruce's article soon.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Rusty,

I sent an email to Hobie this morning inquiring about the status of the article. Just for information, my article is more in the line of historical information. When, what, how and why would be the closest description. I don't get into the shooting them aspect in the article. But, I have a fairly good background with shooting, accuracy and performance and I will throw you a hint. I only collect and shoot Brownings now (for the most part). I actually do own one Smith Corona 03-A3 (mint and original) and I may give in to one mint and original Garand. :D

I don't know exactly how to describe my transition because the performance and feel of a Winchester Model 94 can not be argued with. A Marlin can not be set aside either. The plant closings had a lot to do with me finally going all Browning though.

However, if pressed, I would take the BLR over the others in a heart beat. They do have two drawbacks in my opinion. One is they do not have the history and I can live with that. The other is they are not easy to take completely apart and reassemble correctly. I have trained myself in that area and feel OK.

The good things are: Magazine fed, which allows for caliber and bullet selection like we are not normally used to. Bolt to barrel lockup (newer models) which is almost unique for a lever action. Short throw lever. Smoother action than it should be. IMHO, one of the best iron sight systems currently available on a factory iron sighted rifle other than the Garand, M14, AR15 types or other positive click adjustable peep sights.

Just my opinion. It is a good rifle.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum