OT - C&R License is due again...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

OT - C&R License is due again...

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I think I'm going to let this go. Let it expire. I like having it and its only $30 for 3 years and earns its worth with one purchase but I've gotten to the point that I don't want or need any more C&R guns (until I see one for sale :lol: ).

The other thing is that while I've never been audited, I don't like the fact that this can be called in at any time. I have nothing to hide, but I just don't like the idea of being audited - just like a tax audit - you have nothing to hide but who wants one? When this expires, they can no longer get an audit and my record book becomes my personal property to do with what I want.

So, I think after having one for many years I'm going to let it go.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
allhands
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT - C&R License is due again...

Post by allhands »

I tend to agree with you. I was going to get my C&R license, mainly because It's relatively easy and not very expensive. But I didn't like having to submit to an audit. I do have a question for you though. If I were to get a C&R, what do I do with my "private sale" guns that I bought years ago? Do all your guns end up on your license?
Bill Nowicki
Headed "upta camp"
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

allhands,

There is a lot of confusion over this, but to be completely safe, it's generally recommended that C&R eligible guns whether bought under the license or not should be recorded in your bound book when you sell them. The law doesn't specify that you have to - it's vague on this point and it's an ongoing debate on the C&R forum.

Hey, if it's off paper, why start a record?? For what it's worth, I know a lot of C&R licensees and none have ever been audited. I know it's a possibility, but so is having an airplane fall on my head.
Well done is better than well said.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Between the Midway, Brownells and Graf and Sons discounts, I get my $30 back about 100 times over in 3 years. :lol:
Slow is just slow.
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

If you think about it, every year that C&R license gets a little better. You now have a whole decade of the first Rugers that are eligible for C&R with the 50 year old rule. In another 10 years, basically all Ruger Old Models will be eligible (give or take 3 years worth of guns). It makes me wonder how long until the C&R license is canceled by the feds. In 50 years, do you think you'll be allowed to have these current AR-15s shipped to your door?
abcollector
Levergunner 2.0

Post by abcollector »

cas wrote:Between the Midway, Brownells and Graf and Sons discounts, I get my $30 back about 100 times over in 3 years. :lol:

cas- can you confirm that Graf & Sons offer a discount for someone with a C&R license?
Yance
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Yance »

abcollector wrote:
cas wrote:Between the Midway, Brownells and Graf and Sons discounts, I get my $30 back about 100 times over in 3 years. :lol:

cas- can you confirm that Graf & Sons offer a discount for someone with a C&R license?
Not CAS but I've gotten "dealer price" on a couple of orders from Graf's. Unfortunately "dealers" pay full price shipping which petty much offsets the savings. Midsouth, Midway, and Brownell's are the main ones I deal with, but there are quite a few others. If you "comparison shop" you'll find the Midway's "dealer price" is usually about what Midsouth's "regular" price is, so the "discount' is better. If they both have the items I need, I usually buy from the guys in Tennessee.
Yance

There's a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".

outawaysforge.wordpress.com

"Gun control" isn't about guns, it's about "control".
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

That's why I renew my C&R. I've saved $30 in just ONE order more than once.

As for audits, the guys with a lot of acquisitions and sales get the visit. One friend acquired over 30 C&R firearms and disposed of almost 40% of them in one three-year period. He got a visit. In the almost six years I've had mine, I've acquired 17 and disposed of three. Not a peep from the issuing agency.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .