22 Magnum discussion

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

22 Magnum discussion

Post by SJPrice »

I think it is time for a lever action 22 magnum. I would like to hear the wisdom here on the best 22 magnum lever action and why? I like the idea of a 22 Magnum for varmints and using 22 WRF for small game.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: 22 Magnum discussion

Post by Blaine »

Well, I have a 9422M that is not overly accruate, mostly because of a poor trigger, but it shoots into minute of varmit at 100yds. Boy, they hit hard. Crows kind of go poof. In a pinch, it would do for most shooting/hunting....well, up to deer size, anyway.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Winchester 9422M Great rifle for Foxes and as BlaineG says Crows just go poof!
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

Play around with bullets-an 'inaccurate' 22 magnum can often benefit from those new 'pointed bullets' (nb you can use them in a rim fire because the point is in the centre).

At one stage I used to favour my 9417 because my 9422M was inaccurate, however, these new bullets put them on par (other than trajectory).
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

A 9422M is arguably "best" - IF it's within your budget, as they hard to find under $600.

A "pretty darn good" replacement, for less than half the $$$$ is a Henry H001M, or a Henry H001TM (octagon) for about half the $$$ of a 9422.

Those are "traditional" leverguns, however - with two-piece stocks, etc.

Another option, VERY viable, is a Ruger 96/22M levergun - which has a style reminiscent of a Winchester 88/Savage 99 and a one-piece stock - for about $350.

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

My .22M isn't a lever but it's an outstanding little rifle.

I bought a CZ 452 with a mannlicher stock about two years ago.
Mine likes the heavy bullets. Especially the Winchester .45 grain Dynapoint.
And they're cheap too.
Almost bought the brass framed Henry for the same price but the
CZ just fit me better. It's been an outstanding squirel gun and the
first gun I've ener had with a tangent sight that actually works. Set it at
75 yds and it shoots POA at 75 yds!

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Pete44ru wrote:Another option, VERY viable, is a Ruger 96/22M levergun - which has a style reminiscent of a Winchester 88/Savage 99 and a one-piece stock - for about $350..
I like the Ruger:
  • Stock is one-piece = easy to disassemble if you're caught in the rain or whatever, and clean the entire gun quickly (beats having to take a forend off and mop water off a magazine tube, or find rust because you thought it wouldn't happen...)

Detachable magazine holds 9 rounds (do you really need more than that at one time...?) and makes for faster unloading if you come home without shooting all your ammo, or in/out of cars, crossing roads, etc. Plus, you can always carry a spare magazine if you need more 'firepower' quickly - even keep HP's in one and cheaper ammo in the other.

Easy to mount a scope on if you want, or a Williams WGRS, which is what I prefer.
The TOP one is my Ruger 96/22M (the bottom one is a Ruger .22LR 77/22)...

One of a set (the others are a .22LR and a .44 Mag - they also make a .17 HMR )...

The WGRS sight...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

9422m
9422m.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I would like to have a lever 22 magnum but in a good time of looking for one I just couldn't find one. I got a Stevens 305. It is accurate and very serviceable. I scoped it and for the function I think it is great - quite accurate. I will spend my lever dollars on something else - probably a single action.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have owned a few .22mag pistols, but never had a 22mag rifle until a few years ago, when I finally purchased a Winchester 92/22mag leveraction. I installed a Williams receiver sight, and a taller front sight. Mine has been very accurate.

I have also been very impressed with the killing power of that little gun. It has pretty much just plain flattened every thing I have ever shot with it. I highly recommend it.
NRA Life Member, Patron
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Lastmohecken wrote:I have owned a few .22mag pistols, but never had a 22mag rifle until a few years ago, when I finally purchased a Winchester 92/22mag leveraction. I installed a Williams receiver sight, and a taller front sight. Mine has been very accurate.

I have also been very impressed with the killing power of that little gun. It has pretty much just plain flattened every thing I have ever shot with it. I highly recommend it.
Curious which pistols? With the slow burning powder do they shoot flames out? I don't think they really make a suitable "pistol" round do they? I was thinking about the pmr-30 it sounds real interesting but I suspect it's only a 1300 fps vs a 2000 (rounding / swaging here I dont know exact numbers) in a pistol vs a rifle because of the powder.
It's like some factory 45/70 ammo in a pistol you can actually pour the unburnt powder out.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

David wrote:
Lastmohecken wrote:I have owned a few .22mag pistols, but never had a 22mag rifle until a few years ago, when I finally purchased a Winchester 92/22mag leveraction. I installed a Williams receiver sight, and a taller front sight. Mine has been very accurate.

Curious which pistols? With the slow burning powder do they shoot flames out? I don't think they really make a suitable "pistol" round do they? I was thinking about the pmr-30 it sounds real interesting but I suspect it's only a 1300 fps vs a 2000 (rounding / swaging here I dont know exact numbers) in a pistol vs a rifle because of the powder.
It's like some factory 45/70 ammo in a pistol you can actually pour the unburnt powder out.
I never shot them much in my Ruger singlesixes, usually staying with the .22 longrifle, because of economy, and the fact that I usually shot the singlesixes to much to afford it. However I think the .22mag has merrit in the Ruger Single Six.

I have used the .22mag quite a bit in the little NAA mini revolvers, I don't know how much more powerful they are vs a .22 longrifle in those little guns, but they are difinately louder, and I can still hit with them. Maybe someone else will come up with some data.

I have never tested it, but I believe I have read that a .22mag leaves the barrel of a 6 inch pistol as fast or faster then a 22 longrifle leaves the muzzle of a rifle.
NRA Life Member, Patron
FF1063
Levergunner 1.0

Post by FF1063 »

My 9422M shot OK, but was prone to misfires from weak primer strikes. I didn't care too much for the Winchester tube magazine, it likes to fall out too easily.
My CZ 452 Lux bolt action, now that's straight shooting, reliable gun with excellent open sights.
Just ask 3leggedturtle.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I had a CZ 452 American before the price of 22mag went through the roof. Once I floated the barrel it would easily shoot 5 shot, sub moa groups, at 100 yds, 50% of the time, with Winchester Supremes. I still haven't found any 22mag ammo that shot as well as the Supremes.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

jdad wrote:I had a CZ 452 American before the price of 22mag went through the roof. Once I floated the barrel it would easily shoot 5 shot, sub moa groups, at 100 yds, 50% of the time, with Winchester Supremes. I still haven't found any 22mag ammo that shot as well as the Supremes.
i bought some 22mag ammo at a show a while back, made by bitterroot valley ammo co.
shoots like the 40 gr winchesters, and they were [comparatively] cheap @ 8.00/50. :lol:
there is a place in hillsboro, called little bear gun shop, that is supposed to be a stocking
dealer.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Lastmohecken wrote:I never shot them much in my Ruger singlesixes, usually staying with the .22 longrifle, because of economy, and the fact that I usually shot the singlesixes to much to afford it. However I think the .22mag has merrit in the Ruger Single Six.

I have used the .22mag quite a bit in the little NAA mini revolvers, I don't know how much more powerful they are vs a .22 longrifle in those little guns, but they are difinately louder, and I can still hit with them. Maybe someone else will come up with some data.

I have never tested it, but I believe I have read that a .22mag leaves the barrel of a 6 inch pistol as fast or faster then a 22 longrifle leaves the muzzle of a rifle.
Remember they make 9-inch Single Sixes, which do pretty well performance-wise with the .22 WMR; I've not chronographed mine, though.

How about a Contender Pistol in .22 WMR... 8) I always thought that would be nice.

My 96/22m appears to be capable of 1-inch groups at 75 yards, which is fine for me. Need to shoot it (and many others) more...

On the North American Arms website, they do publish ballistics for the .22 WMR in their various guns, and unless they're just making the data up, it looks substantially 'potent' vs. the .22 LR.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

that's what this thread needed - photos of pretty rifles - very nice, guys.
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

I have a Marlin 25N, Ruger 9622M, Marlin 922M and a Winchester 9422M XTR 22 Magnum rifle. Love them all and would not like missing a single one. But my all time favorite is the Winchester 9422M XTR. This little rifle is great and shoots perfect with different kind of ammo as you can see on following pictures. Groups are at 100 Meter from a sandbag rest. All groups are from the same day with nearly same weather conditions. The gun has a Leupold scope 2-7x duplex.

You can't go wrong with a good 22 Magnum rifle :wink:
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

That is very impressive Ravenman :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I love shooting the 22 mag in my Single Six. What I'd really like to find is an 1894 Marlin 22 mag. A friend of mine had one that I was drooling over but he wouldn't turn loose of it. Then one day I found out he traded it off to someone else. :roll:
NRA Life Member
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

TedH wrote:I love shooting the 22 mag in my Single Six. What I'd really like to find is an 1894 Marlin 22 mag. A friend of mine had one that I was drooling over but he wouldn't turn loose of it. Then one day I found out he traded it off to someone else. :roll:
Nice friend.
Old Law Dawg
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Ravenman wrote:I have a Marlin 25N, Ruger 9622M, Marlin 922M and a Winchester 9422M XTR 22 Magnum rifle. Love them all and would not like missing a single one. But my all time favorite is the Winchester 9422M XTR. This little rifle is great and shoots perfect with different kind of ammo as you can see on following pictures. Groups are at 100 Meter from a sandbag rest. All groups are from the same day with nearly same weather conditions. The gun has a Leupold scope 2-7x duplex.

You can't go wrong with a good 22 Magnum rifle :wink:

that range sure looks like its in a pretty location Ravenman ! Very nice looking rifle too
----- Doug
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Rossi 22 mag with aimpoint works good in bad light or at night on predators so does the ruger up close . danny
Last edited by BigSky56 on Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Interesting discussion, and timely also.

I have two Ruger SS three screws, older models one a 1966 the other a 1970. Both are dual cylinder models. Both shoot The Winchester Super X Supreme 22 Mag's the best of all Mfgrs.

I recently became the owner of a New Model short barrel 4 3/4" dual cylinder piece. This prompted a return to load testing of 22 mag's with this short barreled RSS. Also because Federal is again producing the 50 gr. HP mag, this sparked my interest as a possible round for general purpose carry for all around use as a small light weight piece. And BTW; it packs light and nice.

So Tuesday I was at the range with the RSS-NM with my chronograph and various 22 mag rounds. I thought Y'all might like to see just what the 22 mag. can do from a short barrel. My chronograph is the Competition Electronics device. Remember the results are from a 4 3/4" barrel. Tests was with five shot groups. I have listed only the average, extreme spread, & the standard diviation.

Federal 50 gr. HP, first string: average 1147fps, extreme spread 45fps, SD 17

Federal 50 gr. HP, second string: average 1163fps, extreme spread 29fps, SD 11

CCI maxi-mag 40 gr. HP : average 1363fps, extreme spread 76fps, SD 32

Winchester Supreme Super X 34 gr. HP : average 1500 fps, extreme spread 97fps, SD 43

Winchester Super X 40 gr. HP : average 1457fps, extreme spread 88fps, SD 39

I tested on 22LR load as it seems to shoot very nice in the RSS. Below are the results, also shot with the RSS 4 3/4". BTW; I pick up a bulk brick of these at Dicks Sporting goods for bulk they preform very nice.

Winchester Dynapoint target 40 gr. HP 22LR copper washed: Average 990fps, ES 37fps, SD 14

The next test will be a penetration test using wet phone books and see how the 50 gr. federal preforms.
I also own a Cobra 22 mag 4" barrel Derringer, I will be using the Derringer for this peneration test.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Well I found this because I was trying to understand the 22 mag vs the 5.7 which frankly I think is just to darn expensive to consider. Without the handguns/rifles/ammunition becoming widely accepted everything just became wildly expensive. The handguns aren't junk but they are built cheaply have very cheap parts, some of which have been corrected, some not. Ammo costs for a hour at the range can easily exceed the cost of the gun!

Another interesting item which was with this report was

"5.7x28 27-grain lead-free load penetrated only about 7" and the bullet showed no deformation at all. It did deflect nearly 3" to the side, so a properly aimed shot would always miss the intended target."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

i have a 22 WMR in the form of the CZ 452-2E ZKM; it's a wonderful rifle. it was very accurate but I've floated the barrel and pillar mounted it in the stock and haven't gone to the range yet to check how it affected accuracy.
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

AJMD429 wrote:
Lastmohecken wrote:I never shot them much in my Ruger singlesixes, usually staying with the .22 longrifle, because of economy, and the fact that I usually shot the singlesixes to much to afford it. However I think the .22mag has merrit in the Ruger Single Six.

Remember they make 9-inch Single Sixes, which do pretty well performance-wise with the .22 WMR; I've not chronographed mine, though.

How about a Contender Pistol in .22 WMR... 8) I always thought that would be nice.

My 96/22m appears to be capable of 1-inch groups at 75 yards, which is fine for me. Need to shoot it (and many others) more...

On the North American Arms website, they do publish ballistics for the .22 WMR in their various guns, and unless they're just making the data up, it looks substantially 'potent' vs. the .22 LR.
I almost forgot, I did own a Contender barrel in .22mag back in my competition days, and I gave up on it, after a while, because it was not very accurate with any ammo I could get at the time.
NRA Life Member, Patron
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

I own the Marlin 1894M and 9422M and I've shot the Henry version, too. All three were equally accurate and fun to shoot. Haven't had any problems whatsoever.

Can't go wrong either way.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

I rather shoot my .22 Hornet If I keep the loads at factory level, brass life is great and it is still better and cheaper to shoot than a .22 mag. I will still get good life out of my brass, if I hot rod it and have alot more jam than any .22 mag. Now in a lever I bet the Bee is a much better choice problem is in finding a Bee lever?( I have been looking) The 17 HMR or .22Mag just cost's to much to shoot. If things keep going the way they are I will be able to reload and shoot 45 colt with my own cast bullets and free WW lead for cheaper than I can .22 LR .
Something to think about the Hornet kicks the .22 Mag and if you Reload it is cheaper to shoot.But ya gota Stuff your own, mild hornet loads are still better than the .22 mag. A Bee would be even better!
But yet I always think of a Bee (the name) as a slow flying bug and a Hornet as the mean fast one. But in real life the Bee is better but I rather have a 25/20 with the 60gr bullet.
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Buy a HENRY, you can't go wrong for the money. Oh, and Lawyer Daggit I want your 9417 please! :lol:
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

brno602 wrote:I rather shoot my .22 Hornet If I keep the loads at factory level, brass life is great and it is still better and cheaper to shoot than a .22 mag. I will still get good life out of my brass, if I hot rod it and have alot more jam than any .22 mag. Now in a lever I bet the Bee is a much better choice problem is in finding a Bee lever?( I have been looking) The 17 HMR or .22Mag just cost's to much to shoot. If things keep going the way they are I will be able to reload and shoot 45 colt with my own cast bullets and free WW lead for cheaper than I can .22 LR .
Something to think about the Hornet kicks the .22 Mag and if you Reload it is cheaper to shoot.But ya gota Stuff your own, mild hornet loads are still better than the .22 mag. A Bee would be even better!
But yet I always think of a Bee (the name) as a slow flying bug and a Hornet as the mean fast one. But in real life the Bee is better but I rather have a 25/20 with the 60gr bullet.
The Hornet when stuffed with your surplus powders of most types can duplicate 22lr and mag vels.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I like the Hornet also and have a TC contender rifle barrel 24". I load down to 22 mag velocity for Squirrel and very small game, and have loads for Yote's and such.
However the hornet is not chambered in a Handgun/Revolver.

I have taken lots of tree Rats from Arizona Pine trees in Northern Arizona with my TC Hornet/rifle barrel. I do not own a 22 mag. Rifle other than the TC, only Ruger Single Sixes with the dual cylinders and I own three. Two three Screws & one new model 4 3/4".
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I can't help with a rifle selection since I don't have a 22 Mag myself. I will re-tell this story as it is one of my favorites.

My friend Rob Swanson from Old Saybrook, CT invited me deer hunting at his grandpas farm. When we got there he got out his "deer rifle" from the den. It was an old bolt action 22 Magnum. He then got the original boxes of ammo from the 50's or 60's. I "explained" to him it wasn't really a deer rifle. He didn't know any better and didn't care. He gets a deer every year with it from the same spot. We went out and sure enough he shot an 8 point buck with that 22 Magnum like he does every year. He put the gun up and the ammo away and still thinks I'm nuts and his deer rifle works just fine!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Great story. Good thing he does not read all the gun magazines. :D
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

brno602 wrote:I rather shoot my .22 Hornet If I keep the loads at factory level, brass life is great and it is still better and cheaper to shoot than a .22 mag. I will still get good life out of my brass, if I hot rod it and have alot more jam than any .22 mag. Now in a lever I bet the Bee is a much better choice problem is in finding a Bee lever?( I have been looking) The 17 HMR or .22Mag just cost's to much to shoot. If things keep going the way they are I will be able to reload and shoot 45 colt with my own cast bullets and free WW lead for cheaper than I can .22 LR .
All this 22 magnum talk has got me thinking about getting a 22 cal mold and trying to duplicate some 22 mag loads with my Marlin 218 Bee. What is the standard twist in a 22 mag barrel?
NRA Life Member
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Ted 1in14, though I have seen 1in16 too. danny
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I just found out Ranch Dog has designed a 50 gr. 22 cal mold for the Marlin 218 Bee and 219 Zipper. Group Buy starting next month! Should be a good one.
NRA Life Member