OT Farewell Babe

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Don McDowell

OT Farewell Babe

Post by Don McDowell »

You weren't the best cow dog, but you were a darn good companion and friend for these past 15 years. Farewell for now, hopefully we'll meet again on the other side.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT Farewell Babe

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Good buds will always be there...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

My condolences on the loss of your old friend.

Doc

Rainbow Bridge
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Don,

Sorry to hear of your loss. I know the pain, just remember the good times and it will be a wee bit easier.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Sorry to hear your sad news, you have my condolences sir.

Game keeper.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Sorry to hear about you buddy....
they really are mans best friend....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Don,

My condolences. Many of us have been there. We understand. A good dog is an unbounded blessing...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Sorry to hear that Don. Funny how an animal can grow on ya like that.
NRA Life Member
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Sorry Don...

jason
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Don, I'm sorry for your loss... :(
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Very Sorry, My last dog a Beagle has been gone about three years now. I liked that girl more than most any people I know.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Heal well friend.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Thanks guys. She'll be missed that's for sure. Zippy the new pup, is sorta rattled this morning, finally figuring out Babe is gone.
So we just close one adventure and start off on another......
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Sorry to hear of losing your old friend Don.

They aren't people, but they are family.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Thanks Malamute, yup its the loss of a friend.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Really sorry to hear that, Don. Unfortunately God didn't give'em a long enough life to stay with us all the way through.
Old Law Dawg
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm so sorry for your loss. Most dogs are perfect people.

I like this tribute by George Vest:

The one absolutely unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him, the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous, is his DOG. A man's dog stands by him in prosperity and in poverty, in health and in sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground,where the wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely, if only he may be near his master's side. He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer, he will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounter with the roughness of the world. He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a prince. When all other friends desert, he remains. When riches take wing and reputation falls to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in its journey through the heavens. If fortune drives the master forth an outcast into the cold, friendless and homeless, the faithful dog asks no higher privilege than that of accompanying him to guard him against danger, and to fight against his enemies. When the last scene of all comes, and death takes his master in its embrace and his body is laid away in the cold ground, no matter if all other friends pursue their way, there by his graveside will the noble dog be found, his head between his paws and his eyes sad, but open in alert watchfulness, faithful and true even to death.

-Senator George Vest, 1870.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Thanks Kim and Blaine.
Fellers you know sometimes you just got to sit and wonder.
Yesterday we found out that Carols tongue cancer is just stage 1 so one more surgery and we should be done with that. It hasn't went anywhere as yet.
Then Babe bids us farethewell,
Go out to do chores this morning and apparently the horses got to wrestling in their shed. Somebody kicked a piece of the tin clean off the side, and Bill managed to cut his left hind foot clear into the hoof from the top of the ankle, in two places. :shock: :cry: So now I get to doctor a crippled horse for awhile, and I don't think he's going to be ridable for quite a while as deep as the cuts are.
If I could find some lime juice to go with this bottle of Mescal....... except I don't have time for that right now, got to go see where the replacement heifers all dissappeared to...... :|
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Don,

My heartfelt condolences. The loss of a companion like Babe is something we can never get over...they stay in ours hearts forever. I hope you meet up with her again at the Rainbow bridge.

I've heard it said that dog's lives are so short, becuse they give so much to us throughout their lives. Know that your are in Babe's heart, as she is in yours.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Don I dont know why it is but for some reason spring is hard on dogs and horses. In the rocky's they hold tight against winter and go downhill in spring. Our canine friends are good for our soul they can teach compassion, loyalty and unconditional love we could all do well to listen. danny
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Danny we didn't think Babe would make the winter, but last night when I found her not far from her favorite watch me thru the yard fence hole, when I came back in from checking cows, I heard a killdeer chirping, so spring is officially here now.
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

Doc Hudson wrote:My condolences on the loss of your old friend.

Doc

Rainbow Bridge
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
Sorry for your loss of Babe, I don't know what I would do when it comes time for mine to go, but I really liked reading this reply and in my minds eye and can see it the Rainbow bridge.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Sorry for your loss. Been there done that, didn't enjoy it. Heal well friend.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

My condolences offered as well...
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

My condolences!
Dogs hold a very special place in our hearts.(They are the best friend one could ever have)
Take comfort in knowing she was loved, and had a great life all those years as your great friend! :wink:
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Thanks guys, she'll be missed that's for sure.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I am sad for you my friend. :(
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Thanks Chuck, but the better way to look at , is I'll bet she can see and hear real good again, and she can probably run like a yellow strip of furry lightning like she used to. :)
caprockhunter
Levergunner

Post by caprockhunter »

I'm sorry for your loss. You have my condolences.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Boundless blessings indeed. sorry for your loss. may the memories last your life time.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Thanks fella's, and Mike yes the memories her and I shared will last me till my ashes have turned to dust.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Its hard when they are your companions. I know because I recently lost my good buddy. I still miss him.

Sorry to hear about your loss.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Don McDowell wrote:So we just close one adventure and start off on another......
now this is a good attitude to hold.

new pups can make you feel this way, alright. :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

sounds like you got a pretty heavy load... if you let Him carry you a awile there will only be one set of tracks...

God bless you and your house.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

Don, I am sure sorry for your loss. What a beautiful dog Babe was! Like most here, I've been there before and will be there again. Right now, I have 4 "rescue" dogs and have to fight urges to rescue "just one more." Just remember, you gave Babe a long, happy and healthy life, and provided much joy to your friend, just as Babe did for you.

All the best,
John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Hard to lose a friend.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

My sincere condolences.

I can't think of anything inspirational to say. I have lost some beloved pooches lately, myself.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Don, sorry to hear that, been there and it is HARD, but time and good memories help. Our loss happened over ten years ago and I can still see him lying on the end of the sofa watching me out of one eye.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Don, I'll be praying for you to heal well and get along on the next journey with Zippy. Easier said than done, but you can do it "one day at a time".

Take care my friend,

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Thanks guys. We'll miss her but, it was her time, and she's better off now than she was a week ago.
We're well on the mend, there'll be other dogs, we've already been thru a herd of em, but still the loss is always felt.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

When they've had a full life and its time, well then its a blessing.

My buddy Lance left us too early. I was out of town and couldn't be here to see him off and that was the hardest thing about it for me. He was just shy of 10 years old.

Our other, Button who is in her 14th year is laying just behind me right now. She's doing very well for her age and has helped to aleviate Lance's passing.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

It is always hard to lose a good dog. Fifteen years is a long time. A big empty spot is left behind.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:D Kirk you know 15 years used to seem like a long time, but anymore a fella says what????? why that was only a couple years back..... :o Whaddaya mean 17 years ago..... :mrgreen:
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I have a great boxer, now, smartest dog I've ever owned. Two dogs ago was an Elkhound who lived to 19 - he used to fish with me, leap to catch the frisbee, and he threw firewood for fun - seriously. Never seen a dog that could jump like him. He could leap flat-footed over the side of the truck into the bed without touching the side. When he was 15, I bought an Akita to keep him up and moving, and she did. He also caught every animal that came through the yard and laid it at the back porch, a tradition the Akita kept up with the feral cats the neighbor feeds. (There is a wild rabbit that lives in the yard with the boxer now.)
The Akita was the prettiest dog I have ever owned, and aloof. But they don't age well, and she finally got mean. When she was 4-y-o and 90 lbs. she used to roll in the yard with my older daughter at half her weight and never a tear was shed. But at 12-y-o, when she snapped at my baby girl, I knew it was time to put her down. I was going to be so brave, but that last ride in the truck, and she was having so much fun, I balled like a baby.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:( Kinda hard to sing Amazing Grace when you're blubberin like a 2year old ain't it. :cry:
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

Who ever wrote that Doc Hudson he knew. Its beautiful. I have lost a number of good dogs over the years and I still miss everyone of them. All were working cattle dogs. Mr McDowell rest easy sir, you will meet again as I will meet all mine.
Their loyalty and work ethic totally unquestionable. They never asked for much, praise a pat and a feed and they all loved the grandkids. Protect them with their lives, against human or snake.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:D Yup when you got better than 50 years of this life gone by there's alot of good dogs waiting at the gate with tails a wagging and grins a flying.......
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Don, I am sorry that I very nearly missed your loss. They sure grow on you don't they.

There is truth in what danny said about them holding on through winter, I have seen that too.

Best wishes.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Thanks Nath.
:lol: I was watching a Sheepdog trials in Scotland on RFDtv, awhile back and those guys have the same troubles with their Kelpies as we do with our stock dogs, but dang we all sure love our dogs. :)