New Marlin Levergun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

New Marlin Levergun

Post by Pete44ru »

Maybe I just woke up, after a loooooooong nap - but I just spotted this new Marlin Model 336 BL (Big Lever), a blued .30-30 with lamo stock, 18 1/2" bbl, & mid-loop lever.

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New Marlin Levergun

Post by jeepnik »

I like the look of the lever on that. But when are arms makers going to quit selling plywood stocks and claiming they're better that a good solid hunk of wood? Seems like almost every "new" model that Marlin puts out lately has "laminate" (good word for good ole fashion plywood) stocks

I seem to remember that some military arms had laminate stocks. But at lesast they admitted it was done to save money and or wood.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Well jeepnik may not like it but I think it looks good.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

JReed wrote:Well jeepnik may not like it but I think it looks good.
Yea, but you probably like the look of AR's too. :mrgreen:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
win38-55
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win38-55 »

I think that gun looks great. I don't care if it is laminated it probably is more stable than wood.
I plan on buying one as soon as I come across one. But I am getting mine in 45-70. :D
Andrew: He is a real gun freak with way too many guns to shoot or clean.
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

Don't get me wrong, I love a nice piece of walnut any day of the week. But, the laminated does take more abuse than standard wood. It will not soak up as much moisture nor crack as easily. It's one reason why many AK series rifles have laminated wood on them. It's pretty darn durable. Besides, the current walnut Marlin seems to be using looks like it was pulled from the bottom of the Mississippi river.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

jeepnik wrote:I like the look of the lever on that. But when are arms makers going to quit selling plywood stocks and claiming they're better that a good solid hunk of wood? Seems like almost every "new" model that Marlin puts out lately has "laminate" (good word for good ole fashion plywood) stocks

I seem to remember that some military arms had laminate stocks. But at lesast they admitted it was done to save money and or wood.
They (the arms makers) are NOT going to quit selling plywood stocks and claiming they're better than a good solid hunk of wood UNTIL the buying public quits asking for and buying them.

By-the-way, those plywood, laminated, stocks are better in some cases/uses than those solid hunks of wood.
ED
Yer never too old
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Modoc ED wrote:
jeepnik wrote:I like the look of the lever on that. But when are arms makers going to quit selling plywood stocks and claiming they're better that a good solid hunk of wood? Seems like almost every "new" model that Marlin puts out lately has "laminate" (good word for good ole fashion plywood) stocks
They (the arms makers) are NOT going to quit selling plywood stocks and claiming they're better than a good solid hunk of wood UNTIL the buying public quits asking for and buying them.
By-the-way, those plywood, laminated, stocks are better in some cases/uses than those solid hunks of wood.
I prefer walnut also, at leasy this offering is blued steel. If I weren't so 30-30 poor I'd be tempted. :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Modoc ED wrote:

Never said they weren't servicable. Just ugly as all get out. :mrgreen: And as we all know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'd prefer Synthetic Mossy-Oak Camo, myself... :shock:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

AJMD429 wrote:I'd prefer Synthetic Mossy-Oak Camo, myself... :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

I like solid walnut better also, but that Marlin seems to pull it off quite well to me! :wink: It just looks so......well......"solid"! :D

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I hope that I don't trample on many of your feelings but that Marlin is THE most graceless levergun I have ever seen. PHUGLY is the key word, I believe. :mrgreen:
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Dang Mike, tell us how you really feel.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I'd probably swap the wood out but otherwise I like it. At least they kept to the short rifle theme instead of useing a forend cap & forward band. If they make a 1894 like that I think I'll have alot of trouble keeping away from it.
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

I quite like it and I WILL own one by this fall (I hope). Mine will be in the 45-70.
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

I forgot to say that one good thing about them 'plywood' stocks is that when you beat the hell out of them it doesn't make you feel so bad!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Yep like Granny used to say, "ugly as home made sin."
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

My wife thinks it's kinda pretty.

I think it's OK except for the phat forearm and the big lever. Those would have to be dealt with.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Pete44ru wrote:Maybe I just woke up, after a loooooooong nap - but I just spotted this new Marlin Model 336 BL (Big Lever), a blued .30-30 with lamo stock, 18 1/2" bbl, & mid-loop lever.

They make an 1895 just like it in 45-70 . If they made this in a 444 I'd get one and replace the stocks with walnut :wink:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

J Miller wrote:My wife thinks it's kinda pretty.
I think it's OK except for the phat forearm and the big lever. Those would have to be dealt with.
Joe
Well then I have a solution Joe - when you get yours, just mail me the lever, and I'll swap a 'regular' one for it - I have fat fingers... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Certainly not a "safe queen". But, it would make an excellent, practical, no-frills, workhorse of a gun.........especially in 35 Remington. :wink:
You could use it for home security, deer/elk/black bear hunting, and even a boat paddle if push came to shove. :D
That gun is designed for nothing but service to its owner. If I hadn't just bought a new handgun, I would certainly be in the market for it.

bogie
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

i'm not a fan of the laminates but that one looks pretty kewl and very functional. the oversized lever looks similar to my WWG co-pilots though it is a straight stock (kevlar). Now the kevlar stock is ugly but I could always use it as a paddle if I need to. With my renewed interest in BP, I'm tempted to put the Co-Pilot up for sale, trying to resist.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I like it, but I could do without the oversize lever.
NRA Life Member
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

AJMD429 wrote:
J Miller wrote:My wife thinks it's kinda pretty.
Joe
Well then I have a solution Joe - when you get yours, just mail me the lever, and I'll swap a 'regular' one for it - I have fat fingers... :wink:
AJ,

I'll keep that in mind.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
two bit okie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by two bit okie »

put me in the prefers one piece walnut. I do have big meat hooks so the lever is ok. but the fat forend is still clunky looking.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Mike D. wrote:I hope that I don't trample on many of your feelings but that Marlin is THE most graceless levergun I have ever seen. PHUGLY is the key word, I believe. :mrgreen:
Got to agree with Mike. Even a nice walnut stock won't help them.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I like everything about it for what it`s intended to do. :D
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

6pt-sika wrote:They make an 1895 just like it in 45-70 . If they made this in a 444 I'd get one and replace the stocks with walnut
If you're referring to the 1895CB, it's just like it except it IS a '95, it's a 45-70 and it doesn't have a pistol grip stock, and it's real wood, and it has an octagon barrel, and it doesn't have that "guppy" forearm, and it doesn't have that silly big-loop lever, and it's not micro-grove, and ...and...

Other than that, it's just like it. :D
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Well, I like it. And I guess other people do also because Davidsons got in 6 last week and they were all gone the next day. For you purists I love walnut but the laminate is stronger. This looks like a fine deer rifle for the Northern states as you could keep you gloves on and still shoot.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Anybody price nice walnut lately?

Fer a woods gun, ATV gun, snow gun... it works. Fer pretty, not so much. At least plywood is a combination of wood and plastic. Beats hell out of pure unadulterated recycled clorox bottles...
Certified gun nut
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

I like it. I don't expect every rifle coming out of the factory today to look like a fine antique. Also, I believe what is normally called plywood has the grain of each layer at 90 degrees to the adjacent layer, not parallel like this laminate. Maybe splittin' hairs there, I don't know... :)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
quietman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by quietman »

I like it a bunch. Thant includes the look of the laminate stock.

If you don't like the laminate stock, they do make the 336 deluxe, so you walnut lovers have a special model.

Features upgraded fancy walnut. I've seen one and the picture does not do the wood justice.

But still have to say, I do like the look of the BL.

BTW, before the relocation was announced, Marlin was going to make the big loop levers available later this year. May have to wait for the relocation now. I'd like to get one for my 338MX. Those of us who live where winter gloves are worn when hunting like the big loops.
Last edited by quietman on Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

I like that alot; is that a Davidson's exclusive?
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Quietman, I saw over at Marlinowners You picked up the .338. Have You shot it Yet? I have run 15 rounds of the Hornady ammo thru My MX and like it.waiting for the Remington ammo to compare the two. :D . And I do like the Bl 30-30.
quietman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by quietman »

BobM wrote:I like that alot; is that a Davidson's exclusive?
No, you have to order it from one of Marlin's "select dealers". Comes with a case too. Here's the link:
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/ ... models.asp

There's also an 1894 deluxe. Here's what makes it a deluxe model- from the Marlin site

These rifles exhibit features such as

* #1 Grade Full Fancy American Black Walnut Stock and Fore-end
- 30- 50% Figure Both Sides of Stock
* Polished Deep Blue Finish on Metal Parts
* Hand Assembled and Tuned by a Marlin Senior Craftsmen.
* Each Model Will Have a Unique Serial Number Range --- 336DL001 and 94DL0001.
* Packaged in a Padded Doskocil Molded Case
* Decorative Color Sleeve with Fall Hunting Scene on case
* Production Timeframe: November 2009 - March 2010

There's a link to the dealers you can order it through on that page.
.45colt wrote:Quietman, I saw over at Marlinowners You picked up the .338. Have You shot it Yet? I have run 15 rounds of the Hornady ammo thru My MX and like it.waiting for the Remington ammo to compare the two. :D . And I do like the Bl 30-30.
Not yet. Scope is on it's way, should be here Friday.

Also, have to send it back to Marlin as it has the fail to feed issue others have run into. May take it out shooting anyway if the shipping label doesn't get here before Friday. Otherwise, it'll be off to Marlin before shooting it. Means I'd have to load it by hand one shot at a time though.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

I agree with the phugly comments and phat forearm dissapointment.
The last great looking Marlin, IMO: the 1893 SRC
http://photos.joesalter.com/7998/7998-01.jpg
...And its rifle companions:
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t189 ... in1893.jpg

And yes it's because it looks like a Win 1894 :-). Why they can't just remake the '93 has been a mystery to me.
I don't mind the laminate when it's the gray-green variety as it doesn't pretend to be otherwise, and not bad (along with the lever) in the 45-70 Alaskan (?)/guide gun. The "slimmer" cartridge guns--at least--need to be, uh, slimmer.