OT -- Lee Pro Auto Disk Powder Dispenser questions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

OT -- Lee Pro Auto Disk Powder Dispenser questions

Post by alnitak »

I've decided to get this powder dispenser to work with my classic (older) single-stage Lee press. I figure I'll attach it to the expander/powder flow-thru die and drop a charge when I expand the cases. I'm hoping it will save me weighing each charge.

Intended use is mostly pistol cartridges -- .44 spl/mag. .38/.357 and 9mm (highest volume). I generally use AA#5, AA#9, 2400, 'Lil Gun and 700X powders. Specifically, for plinking, I plan to reload a bunch of 9mm with 3.0-3.4 grains of 700X (I have several pounds I'm using up). This will be my first powder dispenser, as I have been using dippers and weighing individual charges up to now.

A few questions on the dispenser and recommended accessories...

I hear about the dispenser "leaking" powder, and some of the fixes people have used (e.g., sanding down the mounting feet to make a flusher fit, adding a square of wax paper, etc.). What has been your experience with leaking? Do I really need to do any of those fixes?

Secondly, given the small charges I will be throwing for 9mm, and the need to stay within 0.1g consistently (don't want to overcharge with fast powder), should I get the double disk set or the charge adjustment bar (or both)? I've read some things that say the charge bar is great, but others that say it is inconsistent (powder sticks) and isn't as accurate with small increments (less than 0.6g). What do you use and find better? Do I even need the double disk set for pistol charges (since lower volume)? I also read that is is a pain to change the disks, and the charge bar is easier to use. Again, for pistol charges of low volume and needing to stay within 0.1-0.2g consistently, does the double disk set work well?

Midway has the item on sale this month, so would like to order it soon. Help me decide which, if any, of the accessories I should get with it. Thanks.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Don McDowell

Re: OT -- Lee Pro Auto Disk Powder Dispenser questions

Post by Don McDowell »

Get the lee perfect measure. It's adjustable so you can set the actual weight you want, and not have to go thru all the discs trying to find the correct charge. It doen't slobber powder all over the place like the disc, and if you want to change powder charges you don't have to dismount and dump the hopper, just adjust the dial.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

I use the pro auto disk on my classic turret. I use a lot of AA#5 and find it to throw very consistent for me. I think the turret motion might help settle the powder in the measure hole so I'm not sure how consistent it will be on a single stage press, maybe others will chime in.

It did leak a little as it came from Lee, maybe 1/10 teaspoon per 200 cases (just an estimate). From what you wrote, others came up with the same cure I did. I used a file to remove material from the feet of the hopper assembly where it meets the base (where the disks go, this tightened the fit). I'd file a little then test fit. By doing a little at a time and test fitting, I was able to get a good fit; no more leakage. I just considered this fine tuning of a mass produced tool. One other trick I came up with (and others probably have also) is to use a carpenters pencil to "paint" the wiper and the area of the disk where the wiper slides. This reduces friction and helps the wiper ride tight against the disk.

The Lee recommendations for the hole number is just a starting point, you will need to measure and maybe change the hole to get the charge you want. Once you find the correct setting, you can make note and only have to recheck when you change containers of powder.

The double disk set up is only needed if you want to throw large charges, for AA#5 the single disk will throw up to 25.2 grains.

I tried the adjustable charge bar but didn't have good results. I was getting light charges. I looked through the hopper at where the wiper meets the charge bar and compared it to the disk of the same measurement. The metering space of the charge bar is an oblong hole so there is a much smaller area for the powder to flow through the wiper into the metered space than with the round holes in the disk. I no longer use the charge bar.

It's not that big a deal to change disks. I simply remove the entire dispenser from the press, dump the powder back into the container and change the disk to the one I want.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

From what I read, it seems the charge bar is used in conjunction with the disk to provide incremental amounts beyond the disk hole capacity. Is that right? It seems like the charge bar goes up to 1.6g. So, I assumed that if a particular disk hole gave me, say 3.0g and I need 3.2g, I would use the charge bar set at 0.2g and the disk. Is that correct, or does the charge bar replace the disk? Also, I was looking at the double disk, not for the volume, but for the incremental values. I thought I could stack the disks to get exactly the measure I wanted. So, if the one disk allowed for, say, 3.0g and 4.0g, the second disk with smaller holes could be added at 0.2g to get the 3.2g I needed. Do I have the idea down, or does it operate differently than that?
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
kbak303
Levergunner

Post by kbak303 »

I've used that measure on 2 pro 1000 for 9mm and 45 auto, and then a turret press for the same

seemed there was a kit to do the double disc (might not be correct I'm guessing, all my reloading stuff is packed with the move) but I had very consistent charges in both those,a nd never had a functioning issue in a Norinco 1911A1, Springfield Mil-Spec, Glock or Springfield XDs
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I use them for "bulk" reloading of plinking fodder. Some powders leak more than others. Reasonably accurate, as long as you are not expecting match accuracy. I put some velcro strips on the side of the hopper and the base and that seemed to keep the hopper tight to the base. My only complaint is that the screw holes in the hopper are soft plastic, and will strip out very easily when changing the disk. I wish they'd make one a stronger hopper...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ysabel Kid wrote: My only complaint is that the screw holes in the hopper are soft plastic, and will strip out very easily when changing the disk. I wish they'd make one a stronger hopper...
I think the 'pro' one is made differently (that's what I have but I'm not at home at the moment). Mine doesn't leak with the IMR and 2400 powders I use, and the double disk setup is really nice as far as reproducability and small-increment changes. I haven't yet messed with the adjustable charge bar.

Changing to a different pair of disks takes less than 30 seconds, even with a hopper full of powder (thanks to the shutoff) - just activate the shutoff, throw the last charge into an empty case and dump it back in the hopper if you're not going to use it.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote: My only complaint is that the screw holes in the hopper are soft plastic, and will strip out very easily when changing the disk. I wish they'd make one a stronger hopper...
I think the 'pro' one is made differently (that's what I have but I'm not at home at the moment). Mine doesn't leak with the IMR and 2400 powders I use, and the double disk setup is really nice as far as reproducability and small-increment changes. I haven't yet messed with the adjustable charge bar.

Changing to a different pair of disks takes less than 30 seconds, even with a hopper full of powder (thanks to the shutoff) - just activate the shutoff, throw the last charge into an empty case and dump it back in the hopper if you're not going to use it.
I'll have to give the "Pro" a whirl. The "regular" one does require you to pour out the powder before changing a disk - unless you really want to see "leakage"! :shock:
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

I updated with the pro kit a couple years ago. I like it, gone is the easily stripped screw into plastic hopper system. The turn off is handy too. Unlike some others I've had no problems with the adjustable charge bar.

When I got my first got the original I took a glass plate with some 600 grit paper to smooth the hopper up on the face. I did the same with the blocks. That got rid of its troubles for the 20 years before I upgraded. Like others, I found the factory manual was wildly off on most of the powders measured. With my turret press I didn't have much problem changing them out. I'd just pop the turret off but the new system is much better.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

AJMD429 wrote:

+1

alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Old Time Hunter wrote: +1

So, my press is like the single-stage you have there on the back right. Can I take it from your "+1" that you also support the Pro Disk dispenser for use with that press?
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

alnitak wrote:
Old Time Hunter wrote: +1

So, my press is like the single-stage you have there on the back right. Can I take it from your "+1" that you also support the Pro Disk dispenser for use with that press?
Yep you sure can, as long as you batch. My 2400 loads, even though there is a little spillage, generally stays +/- .05 grains