Modifying a Browning model 71

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Modifying a Browning model 71

Post by getitdone1 »

I'm considering modifying my Browning model 71 carbine.

1. lengthen tubular magazine to full length.
2. Retaining butt stock but removing pistol grip.
3. The above would require straightening lever--or replacing.
4. Thinning wood of forestock.

Why?

It would lever better, hold more ammo, look and feel better.

Where is the gunsmith who could do the above and do it right?

Don McCullough
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

I understand your thinking, but I think your setting sail on a voyage of woe and mucho dinero.

Why not just get an 1886???
Texican
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Texican »

Not to tell you your own hopes and dreams but:

Numbers 1 & 4 could be done fairly easily; but 2 & 3? IMHO, It would be easier, cheaper and more aesthetic to re-barrel a straight stocked 1886 to .348

just my two cents,
Texican

Gentlemanly Rogue, Projectilist of Distinction, and Son of Old Republic

getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

My reason for sticking to the Browning rather than an old Winchester is I have ALL new parts from the get-go.

Don
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Then buy one of the new(er) Miroku-made 1886s.

I don't know if they made any straight-stock models lately, though.

Davidsons has a couple of take-down 86s in stock.
Texican
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Texican »

RSY wrote:Then buy one of the new(er) Miroku-made 1886s.

They are out there. This one's on Gunbroker right now:

Extra lightweight, non-takedown, 45-70 (same case head as .348)
Texican

Gentlemanly Rogue, Projectilist of Distinction, and Son of Old Republic

getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Problems with converting the newer Winchester 86's to .348 is have to get rid of tang safety and rebounding hammer. Probably take new lifter/carrier and cartridge guides. Add these things to new barrel and you might have as much in it as the Browning 71 changes.

Don McCullough
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

THE LAST I CHECKED THE 348 CASE HEAD SIZE WAS NOT THE SAME AS THE 45-70.
I BELIEVE IT IS THE SAME SIZE AS THE 50-95[?]
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

The case heads are different (45-70 ~ .500) (348 ~.545) but the rims are the same diameter (.605-.610) and the same thickness, so no bolt or headspace changes required.

Since you were asking "how to" and not "why not", I'll keep my opinions of the modification to myself. :wink:
WinM71
Levergunner 2.0

Post by WinM71 »

The .348 is based on the old .50-110. The .33 WCF was based on the .45-70 case.
My mind reader refuses to charge me..........

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you somethin'. That ain't an optical illusion, it only LOOKS LIKE an optical illusion.
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Not me, but I'd bet there are a few folks on the forum who would be willing to do a lower tang and lever swap with you. I actually think it's more common for folks to want to go the opposite way.

Doesn't seem like it would be too hard once you have the parts, as long as they are all Miroku I would think they would interchange with minor fitting? You can order the straight grip stock from Midwest Gun Works. In fact, since they bought all the old Browning stuff, maybe they have the tang and lever - you never know.

Was it Mike D. or Kirk looking for the pistol grip parts a while back? I can't remember.

If I could figure out dissassembly, I'd be willing to send you the pieces from my Browing 1886 rifle, including the stock, just to see if it works. Of course I'd want to try yours on mine. Heck, maybe I'd like it.

But that whole dissassembly thing intimidates the heck out of me.
Chad
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Here is one that was done in the late fiftys or early 60's. Its the second from the left. Model 71, with full length mag, straight grip, but in 450 Alaskan. I like it a lot.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I don't know, but there may be issues with a long tang vs. short tang. Isn't the Browning 71 a short tang? And the 1886's all long tangs? If I am right, then it will be difficult to match up a straight grip buttstock from an 86, and the new lower tang might not line up. My old 71 was made in 1938 and had the long tang, which I assume would work fine, with the 1886 lower tang. I believe this is the way my rifle was modifed.

However, a longer mag tube should be an easy swap.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

If I take a straight edge and run it from bottom of receiver and across pistol grip area it appears to me I can stay with my 71 stock by just cutting off the pistol grip area. Refinish and blend with rest of stock. The lower tang straightening shouldn't be too big of a job. While I was at it I'd have the smith cut the wood back behind upper tang for better thumb/hammer clearance. A torch and reblue would take care of the lever. That leaves tube lengthening and attaching end to barrel and taking some of the "fat" off of the fore stock wood--like the original 86.
Also think I'd put carbine ladder rear sight on it or file down "ears" on rear sight. Also add a fiber optic front sight. With my old eyes probably be ahead to go with peep sights.

I need to do some shooting with peep sights. Believe only gun I've had with peeps was a Browning T-Bolt. Dandy gun by the way.

I suppose my main goal is to enhance the levering with a straight lever.

Lastmohecken: Nice 71 conversion ! Lots of nice guns in that picture !

Don McCullough
ohio hunter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by ohio hunter »

Just a heads up getrdone, some of us with older eyes see "spider webs" in peep sights. I have to use a pretty large aperature to not see them. :(
Goos idea to play with one before buying.
Jay
You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel.
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

model 71 conversion

Post by brucew44guns »

I just got my Browning 71 carbine and rifle out of the safe. They're still new and unfired, and I was lucky in that my wife bought the carbine for me with her money quite a few years ago, and was fortunate to get a really beautiful piece of wood on both of them, for the LO grade models. There is no way that a torch, a saw, or other serious tools will re-work mine. Sorry guys, I'm not very adventourous when it comes to my Brownings or Winchesters where metal is going to be cut, or wood cut. Too many straight stocked guns available. Hope yours works out good for you though.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Don, I think you don't have to straighten the lower tang, I believe it's straight on the wood side, and the curve is built up, in other words, it can be ground down to the thickness needed. If you swapped lower tangs with an '86, the tang screw hole will be in a different place since the 71 short tangs are shorter.

I think straightening the lever may be more work than first appears. I'd opt for changing levers if an '86 lever will work.

I've thought of doing some of the same things to my Winchester 71. Really don't like the pistol grip or the big ramp up front.

I believe the magazine tube from a Browning '86 carbine will work for the 71. Rifles were not threaded, carbines are. I've had Mag tubes spliced under the forearm for Marlin 95's, before long tubes were available. Being able to buy a tube that will work is easier, and probably cheaper, since you would likely have to buy another 71 tube anyway to splice it. The tubes are too thin to put a step in the tube in the splice, A butt joint with perhaps a little bevel is what you get. They work fine when done well.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Funny how a guy's opinion of guns and cartridges can change over the years.

For many years I never wanted a gun chambered for the 30-06 cartridge. I was in magnimitus land and prefered the 7mm mag. Of course they are both great cartridges but I think as we age many of us begin to see the merit of the old, non-magnum guns. Less recoil, less expense, less noise and plenty capable!

The .348 Winchester cartridge is another cartridge I had no interest in at all. Now I feel just the opposite about this great cartridge. What a wonderful compromise it is between the great 30-30 and the equally great 45-70!

So this "great compromise" cartridge has a lot to do with my wanting to optimize the gun that shoots it. At least optimum in my eyes.

The 20" barreled Browning model 71 carbine is a great gun. It carrys so well and it's big butt spreads the recoil and is class with it steel butt plate "veeing-in" to the heel of the butt. I can live well with it in it's original state but may have it modified as per my previous posts.

Don McCullough
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

if i still had my71{stolen}, would do the same thing. good luck on the conversion, and please post a picture.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Don, I have a straight lower tang and finger lever that I may sell when my stock work is done. I went ahead and ordered an expensive Miroku PG stock from Midway. At least they were lots cheaper than Winchester and they will sell it to me. Winchester will sell their wood only to "recognized" smiths, whatever the heck that is.

Browning 71 wood will not work on the 86 EL, due to the short upper tang length. Bummer. I REALLY wanted a shotgun butt.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

The threaded Browning carbine magazine tube will work, but the Winchester lower tang will not, due to the shorter upper tang of the Browning 71. Straightening the lower tang may very well be more work than you imagine because of it's thickness.

What may be an easier way to go will be locating a lower tang from a post-war vintage original 71. I have purchased levers, hammers and internal parts from eBay on a few occasions.

This is a Miroku 1886 with a PG lower tang. Does the Browning look similar in thickness?
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
WoodrowC
Levergunner 1.0

getitdone1...did you modify your 71?

Post by WoodrowC »

getitdone1................is there any progress in this project? I'm interested in any solutions you found to carry this out, especially the modification of the PG lever to straight.

Gerry
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Gerry,

Having a couple of other guns worked on (modified) at this time but I'll be sure to let you and the group know when I'm finished with the work on the Browning 71 carbine.

Don McCullough
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Texican wrote:
RSY wrote:Then buy one of the new(er) Miroku-made 1886s.

They are out there. This one's on Gunbroker right now:

Extra lightweight, non-takedown, 45-70 (same case head as .348)
No sir, different case head.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
WoodrowC
Levergunner 1.0

Post by WoodrowC »

I hear you, Hobie......... I've been looking for a Browning 1886 rifle or carbine in Ontario for three years, no luck. It is very hard to import firearms from the U.S. these days, but I do have two Browning 71's, a standard and a high grade (don't worry, I would never modify the high grade!).
My standard 71 is my "always" gun (moose, whitetail) and I'm intrigued by the straight stocked ones I've seen. Turnbull has a modified 71 on their website in .475 Turnbull where they have reshaped the original stock. Keeping the shot-gun butt is important to me.

Gerry
WoodrowC
Levergunner 1.0

Post by WoodrowC »

Here's the one from Turnbull:[img][img]http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn17 ... _large.jpg[/img][/img]