OT let's hear some funny hunting Story's

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

OT let's hear some funny hunting Story's

Post by brno602 »

I am new here so would like to break the ice,love the site!
Here is my funny Story.
A few years ago I had a Mule Deer Doe tag to fill not a hard job on the ranch I hunt on kinda like shooting fish in a barrel,but I could never get close for a Bow shot. So second last day of the season I take a Savage 99 in 300 sav with me. My Best Friend was looking for a Whitale buck or Doe to help fill the frzer.
We use the little 2 way radios to keep in touch he tells me that 15 Mule deer are heading my way he could see them I could not so I stayed put glassing the creek bottom I see a white tail buck a small 3 piont heading his way up the creek I radeo him, He is 400yds on the other side of the valley from me,he say's he now sees it and now we wait for them to get in range.
My Mule deer pop up about 200yds from me all Doe's and about 15 to 20 of them I pick one and shoot. They mill around like Mule deer do then Run up hill jumping a fence. I do not know the one I hit now. Then all of them jump the fence they only ran about 20 yrds to get to the fence and then one just drops but I hear my friend shoot boom at the same time. I say what the H*** how did you know witch one I had hit as it folded right when he shot, We have a rule when we hunt together if we wound anything and the other has a shot take it. It's worked a few times in the 25 years we hunted together.Never lost a animal.
He tells me he hit his whitetail and No he did not take a shot at my Mule Deer it would have been a great shot as he was over 400 yds from me but he is a good shot, I still thought how did he know witch deer I hit I could not tell the herd bunched up.
So now I new he was shooting at the Whitetail I seen walking his way. He is Mad he thought it would get away I could hear him without the MCU Not kind words as he never lost a deer! It ran into the thick brush about 200yrds under me as I was on a hill, I see it bouncing off trees and then drop he took the heart out but it ran a good 100 yrds in very thick cover but I told him where to find it. He tells me I see you on the hill you got that one over lol. Now How do I get accross the creek without getting wet, More bad words lol.
We filled are tags and ate a big liver feast that night.
KentuckyLevrgunr
Levergunner

Re: OT let's hear some funny hunting Story's

Post by KentuckyLevrgunr »

I got chased off by a turkey when I was scouting once. I had my eyes in the trees and didn't see her till she was about 10 feet away...and on her nest. :shock:
There's two kinds of lever action rifles - those designed by J.M. Browning, and those that are inferior.
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Hunting club invited a newbie to join us. He spent all daybefore opening just observing deer. Told us he had seen biggest buck ever. Asked how many points it had, he told us he had not seen its head. Musta just seen it jumping over a fence, running away from him.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Probably ought not to tell this on myself. Funny, NOT! Angry, foolish, amatuerish, yes.

Best friend & I hunted the X-10 area in central CA for many years. I think 7 of 10 between 1980 & 1989. Anyway, on opening morning he drops a nice forked blacktail. I passed on several as they were skinny and sorta unheathy looking. That nite in camp he tells me where he was, (he'd missed on a big 3-pt, due to his auto-loader going "click" instead of BANG when he pulled the trigger... the forked horn stood there with his ears cocked while my friend cycled his bolt to full closed.

Snow was about a foot deep over much of the area, drifting much deeper where it could get blown by the wind. So I march out to this group of rocks he'd described and look over the area... natural seat facing the deep ravine in front of the rocks, with much open land sloping away from the rocks behind... like to the tune of over a mile. The land generally slopes from west to east on that side, with eventually all the water falling into either the Owens River or the Kern... we're almost on the spine of the Sierras. Just south of Mt. Whitney.

Anyway, about 3 hours pass after daylite... when Ken comes marchin' outta the woods from camp. He asks, "where's the deer?"

"Haven't seen one."

"WHAT? I heard a single shot... then three more, just like our agreed signal."

"Nope, haven't fired a shot, haven't seen a deer."

The he, pointing over my shoulder, "what about that one?"

I turn and sure enough, there's a nice 3 pointer about 75 yards off in the midst of that huge open plateau. I drop the book I was reading, pick up rifle and ease it up over the top of the rocks, and settle in to shoot. Just as I get the glass on him, the buck starts to trot. As I catch up and get my cross-hairs on him, he breaks into a run and darts down into a small culvert and we can hear him climbing, and catch a glimpse of his antlers as he dashs toward the other end of the rocks I'm in, and then drops.

We jump up, Ken grabs my fanny pack, & book, I start to run toward the other end of the rocks to try and grab a shot as he comes out into the much bigger ravine I'd been watchin'. No such luck. That deer flat disappeared from the face of the earth. We made it to where he'd of come up between the rocks I was in, and the next bunch... nary a track. We search for an hour, finally found where he turned perpindicular to his previous line of ascent, and headed straight away from us, using that 2nd group of rocks as cover as we searched the ravine and that small culvert. So... after a short rest, Ken & I decide to cross to the other side of the ravine, and hunt another small pass we'd not hunted before.

About halfway up this hillside, we stop and take a breather. As we're sitting there, munchin' on a energy bar, out steps a BIG forked horn down in the bottom of the ravine coming from the end of the valley where we've got our camp. (This is a much traveled ravine for deer moving out of the deep snow to more open areas on the western slope near the very southern end of the Owens River valley for winter forage).

He's moving from my right to left as I face south... the deer actually moves from the very bottom of the ravine up about halfway to track along the other side from us. As he moves, Ken has his binoculars on him and I'm studying him in my 9-power scope. The scope is a drop compensator, and I've used it twice before to kill nice deer. So, again, I use it to help estimate the range... I figure 250 yards, and when the deer is directly across from me, about 100 feet lower,I shoot. Snow flies right between his FEET! The buck instantly freezes and tries to determine which way to run... that canyon echoed the shot forever! It was still echoing when I fired a second time, this shot I held the cross-hair right on the line of his back.

He fell. Then jumped up and ran uphill at about a 45º angle. He stopped in a tangle of brush and trees that shielded him from our view where we were sitting. Ken volunteered to cross the ravine and see if he could spook the deer out into the open again, or if a second shot was even needed. Ken had said he could see dirt fly off his hide where the bullet struck, low just behind the near leg where it was forward in his stride. Felt it was a good shot. I wasn't so sure, but... I'd seen the deer fall and there was a fairly large blood splatter on the snow where he'd been standing.

It takes Ken several minutes to get across the ravine, during which time nothing moved. At least that I saw. Then, Ken calls across to me... "get over here, he's still alive, but doesn't look to be going anywhere." So I start down the ravine. Ken, hollers, "hurry up, get over here!" So I start scramblin' down the ravine and up the side he's one.

When I get up to where Ken is standing, I'm breathin' like the pack a day smoker that I am. We're at ~9,500 feet (camp is below us, and it's at 9,200'. So, I'm heaving like someone that's just set the mile record and Ken's tellin' me to shoot and put the buck outta his misery. I hold out the rifle and tell Ken to do it... I can't see him in my scope! No DUH! It's jumping about 3' with every wheeze and grunt I make. Ken sez,
"NO! There might be a game warden around! You gotta do it... HURRY UP!"

I've got 3 bullets left in my mag, (reloaded while Ken crossed the ravine), and have about 5 more rounds in my coat pocket. Well, long story, short... on my 2nd to last round I finally put one into the lungs and ended it! Lots of divots in the dirt above and below that buck! I learned a lesson, my 1st shot had cut one of the main arteries coming from his heart, that whole time he was just pumpin' ½ his blood out into the snow every beat... he was finished and just didn't know it, unfortunately, neither did I. Since then I've always carried a handgun for any coup' de grace shot. Much easier to control when your adrenaline is pumpin' as are your lungs!

Buck ended up being 4x3 and field dressed @ 195lbs. 29" spread and 32" from base to tip. Ranger said it had to be the largest blacktail he'd ever seen. State sent a $50 reward for trophy sized deer. Ken later lasered the shot, it was 450 yards! No wonder I was a LITTLE LOW on that first shot.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I shot a nice mule deer season before last, directly in the rear haunch and dropped him in his tracks. He wasn't moving when I came up to him a minute or two later. By saving grace I clipped the artery that runs along the spine. The deer was on a dead run at 100 yds. when I shot with my .243. I thought I'd made a dern good shot till I got up to him. My brother was trying to hold back his laughter, but I didn't think it was that funny at the time. It was meat on the table, anyway. I guess it was my brother's turn to laugh, because I snickered plenty earlier that morning when he missed 4 shots on a different buck. He was 17, and it was his first big buck to shoot at, and he said he couldn't stop shaking to settle the scope. His last 2 shots were at 400 yds.+, but the deer was standing still. Had to give him a hard time, anyway. Mine was the first one shot kill I'd seen to an animal's butt. Not that funny, but the only story I could think of right now. I was sure surprised where I hit that deer after it dropped so fast. It didn't even take another step. Field dressed right around 200 lbs. and had a nice 8 point rack.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I was sitting in the brush near a wash north of Tucson, calling coyotes. I had a Burnham Brothers electronic call going, playing young Javelina squalls. After sitting for about 10 minutes I noticed movement on the hill above. Out of the brush came sneaking a bowhunter, all in camo, with an arrow drawn. He was ready to shoot.

I sat real still as he eased up to where the could see the speaker about 30 feet out in front of me. When he saw that he stopped, looked around really sheepish and spotted me. We both had a good laugh.
TCB in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TCB in TN »

Was hunting off Catoosa in Morgan Co, long walk in following an old loggin trail in the dark, at lunch I hadn't seen a thing so I decide to head back to the truck. Since its light I take the short cut (about 1/2 the distance) I scramble up the bluff and head across a big wooded flat, step over a log, right into the middle of 4 or 5 turkeys. They come off the ground sounds like a jet taking off, big ole wings a flapping and whipping me. I have my old 30-06 swinging back and forth trying to get'em off me. Of course my heart was running about 500 bpm, my adrenalin was pumping, and I thought I was got for just a second. When I got back to the truck I just went home, needed to rest after all the excitement.

My ex-father in law and I hunted together for years. Most of the time it was in Jackson Co. TN, big hills (nothing like out west, but big for out here) lots of thick brush, creeks everywhere, usually plenty of deer just not very big ones. The first year we hunted down there he told me he would make me a deal. Whoever shot it gutted it, the other dragged. Well being young (20) and dumb at the time I agreed. The first trip we were on an either sex hunt, during buck season. Early (about 830) I heard him shoot. A few minutes later I hear him whistle, he had a nice little doe down (dressed about 90lbs), already had her gutted and ready for me to drag. Of course it was 500yards up hill, about 400yards down the next hill, about another 200yards up the next to the road bed. (no 4-wheelers off the roads on the lease). Back to hunting we drove thickets the rest of the afternoon, I saw several but never got a good clean shot. Back to the stands about 3 o'clock, right before dark he shot again (good 6 pointer, about 50 yards from the first spot), the same drag as before with a 150lb deer. On the way home that night I told him exactly what he could do with his deal! LOL! He grinned at me, and told me he figured I would have quit after the first one! Over the years I killed quite a few deer hunting with him, but no where near the number he got. We both always had a full freezer either way.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Oh you want funny? You mean like the time I was frustrated about not seeing any deer on the last week of the season, and I finally took it out on that darn chimpmunk that was barking at me all day from that darn stump across the creek? And I took a shot at him as I was heading to the truck?? And I missed??? And I spooked the 3-point buck standing at the edge of the meadow??? You mean that story??

:oops: :lol:
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

KentuckyLevrgunr wrote:I got chased off by a turkey when I was scouting once. I had my eyes in the trees and didn't see her till she was about 10 feet away...and on her nest. :shock:
I passed by a turkey on her nest once, walking in the woods. I was just beyond arm's reach before she made her presence known. When she flew away, it sounded like a herd of brontosauri crashing through the trees. For a minute, I thought I was having a heart attack.

Same thing happened with a fawn. I was thrashing my way through brush, focused on my compass, and would have stepped right on it if it hadn't lept up.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

When I was 15, My Dad, older brother, and a friend of Dad's were hunting Pheasant in a pasture on a friend of mine's dad's land. It was cold and windy, about 10 degrees and a typican 15 mile per hour wind in Southwestern Kansas. We got a couple of pheasants while going through the pasture when I stepped on a small clump of grass which moved a little as I stepped on it. I thought it was a dropping from the cattle which had been in there yesterday and stepped off to clean my boot in the grass when suddenly a big rooster took off and hit me in the face with his wing as he was trying to get away. He hit my glasses and got away before I could get my glasses back on my face. I didn't think so at the time, but I looked pretty funny getting slapped by a Ringneck Pheasant.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Thanksgiving morning, 10 or 12 years ago I'd guess......

I'm still hunting squirrels in a public greenbelt a few miles from home. It was a beautiful 30 degree fall morning but nevertheless I had not seen much and have an empty bag. My gear for the day consisted of Advantage camo pants and jacket, my 1300 shotgun and my Ruger 22/45. Getting on towards noon I decide to give up for the day and was heading back to the truck on a well used trail when low and behold I come across a pile of clothes laying dead center in the middle of the trail!? Looking around sharply I spy a man "speed walking" down the trail away from in his underwear. Only he wasn't in his underwear! It was his stark white butt giving me a full moon shot as he strolled along on his way. Standing there with a bewildered look on my face I finally decide this is too good not to share. Here I go, at a full sprint up a fairly good sized slimy hill (cell reception was non-existent in the river valley), reach the top where I can no longer feel my legs, my chest is heaving like crazy while I grab the phone to call Julie. To say the least my wife either didn't understand my incoherent rambling on the phone or she is as bewildered as I. I was met by stark silence on the other end of the phone. I finally get calmed to the point where I am able to talk her into giving me the non-emergency number for the sheriff and I'm back on the phone with the sheriff dept where the woman on the other end has no idea how to respond to my story, She thought I was nuts and was doing a very poor job of hiding it but I end up talkin her into sending a deputy out to meet me. Down the hill I go in a stumbling run back to the spot of the mysterious naked hiker to find his clothes gone! First thought thru my mind, "this ain't gonna be good, who's gonna believe this", but on down the trail I go to my meeting with the deputy and more than likely a handcuffed trip to the funny farm. "What the F" comes to mind as I don't make it a hundred more yards when here's this same guy striping down again in the middle of the trail. Well this is just to good to be true! Off I run to my meeting and after what seemed like forever to patrol cars come pulling up. As I express my story to the 2 deputy's they look on in amazement and are obviously wondering what planet did I come from. Well after much encouragement from me and a guarantee that there wasn't too much mud on the trail to get their polished shoes all dirty we go tromping on down the trail only to find the clothes and the man gone from the face of the earth. This is really looking bad at this point. Here I am in the middle of the woods dressed up like Rambo with 2 guns and ammo to start a war, 2 deputies PO'd about their muddy boots and me wit han obviously hard to believe story. At this point I wonder if crying would get me off the hook but instead I suck it up, light a cigarette and wait for a deputy to blindfold me a lean me against a tree. At this point both deputies break out in full laughter! It musta been that "why me God" look I had on my face. Back at the cars they take my report with a full description of the streaker (Balding white guy with a big ol' white butt) and one of the deputies drives down the road looking for any cars. Finding a car they call it in and find the age of the driver fits my description. Things are finally looking up for me and my story but after another 1/2 hour no one shows up to claim the car and the deputies decide they have had enough. Before they left I asked em what I should do if I see this again. "Take the clothes" they say.

LK
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

If I didn't see this in person I most likely wouldn't believe it, but here goes.. 20 years ago a good friend, and myself were Deer Hunting in the U.P. of Michigan. I got my Buck the 1st day, and still had a doe tag. The 2nd morning was heavy rain, and we walked in around noon. We jumped 3 deer on a ridge, and 1 was a real nice buck. My buddy let loose, and the big boy dropped right there. He got there fast, and when I arrived he was holding what appeared to be a beautiful 160" Buck with its eyes closed. I was about to say the deer wasn't dead when it popped up, and ran straight up the ridge with my Buddy on the deers back, stuck there with his boot caught between the 10" Brow tines. well he worked himself off the deer after 20 feet, and we never found a spot of blood or nothing. Only thing I can figure was he hit the deer in the antler , and knocked him out. It would have been funnier if it weren't such a Big Buck, but we still tell the story every year anyway.
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

Haha! These storys are gold fellas, keep em coming.....

Chris
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Went hunting after a big thanksgiving dinner with the neighbors...
and one of the guys fell asleep in one of the ground blinds,
and we could hear him snoring from a couple hundred yards away...
I went to the next valley to hunt!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

RIHMFIRE wrote:...one of the guys fell asleep in one of the ground blinds...
That reminds me of something that happened a few seasons ago. After hiking into my hunting area before dawn, that niiiiiiice, waaaaarrrrrmmm sunshine came up over the mountain and put me right to sleep. I woke myself up snoring with my head back against the tree, rifle across my lap...whereby I cast my eyes upon a herd of deer staring up the hill right at me. Those buggers promptly bolted into the brush without giving me a chance to shoulder my rifle. No manners, whatsoever, I tell you. :lol:
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.