Headspace guages - Clymer vs Forster

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Headspace guages - Clymer vs Forster

Post by awp101 »

Yep, at least it's only semi-OT... :lol:

Is one better than the other? Clymer is more expensive at Brownell's, any particular reason?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: Headspace guages - Clymer vs Forster

Post by Terry Murbach »

IF THERE IS ANY PLACE WHERE YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR IT IS PROBABLY IN PRECISION TOOLING. IS THERE ANY REASON TO EVEN CONSIDER THE EL CHEAPO; OF COURSE IT IS YOUR HANDS AND EYEBALLS SO I WILL DEFER TO YOUR JUDGEMENT.
ON THE OTHER HAND OATS ARE ALWAYS A HECK OF A LOT CHEAPER AFTER THEY'VE BEEN THROUGH THE HORSE, RATHER THAN BEFORE.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

I've been using Manson's lately but I have used Clymer in the past. And for rimmed ctgs. I just turn my own. I actually prefer adjustable guages for rimmed so I know exactly how much tolerance there is. If it's for a one time use Rent a Reamer is the way to go.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Thanks! I'm looking at go/no-go's in 6.5x55 and .257 Roberts.

I didn't know if it might have been a difference in quality or simply a difference in what each manufacturer charges Brownell's.
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I agree with Terry as a general principal. In this case both Clymer and Forster are quality products and I don't see much to set them apart in terms of quality.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Charles wrote:I agree with Terry as a general principal. In this case both Clymer and Forster are quality products and I don't see much to set them apart in terms of quality.
+1. Used them both, no problems with either.

Just don't waste your money on HS gauges for the 303 Enfield. US-made HS gauges are made to SAAMI dimensions, and British gauge dimensions are quite different. If you use a NO GO SAAMI 303 Enfield gauge on a never-fired No4 Mk II rifle, chances are the bolt will readily close on it. It did on all six (6) of my blonde-stocked beauties, and only three of them have ever been fired.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Charles wrote:I agree with Terry as a general principal. In this case both Clymer and Forster are quality products and I don't see much to set them apart in terms of quality.
I have both, don't think the tolerance is any different. At least Forster make the 18' 8mm Mauser for the older pre 1930 Mausers (which have a 20 degree shoulder angle).
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Well, it turns out it's only a $12 and change difference. The Clymer Go and No-Go would run $50.95 and the Forsters would run $38.42.

If they are of equal quality (and from the responses it appears they are) I can only chalk it up to Brownell's can get the Forsters cheaper than the Clymers. Of course now I have to wonder why... :?

Let's hear it for paralysis by analysis! :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

As an analytical, I can appreciate that.
Bill_Rights
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bill_Rights »

KCSO,

You said:
If it's for a one time use Rent a Reamer is the way to go.
What's Rent-a-Reamer?
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Bill_Rights wrote:KCSO,

You said:
If it's for a one time use Rent a Reamer is the way to go.
What's Rent-a-Reamer?
I'm not sure if he is in reference to a specific business but there are places that will rent a reamer and headspace gauges for a fee. Pacific Tool and Die (IIRC) comes to mind. If you are simply doing one project it's usually not cost effective to buy the reamer and gauges. You can sell them after the one project but you usually won't get what you paid for them so it makes more sense to rent. You're still out some money (usually just shipping until you get your deposit back) but much less than if you'd bought them.

In this case I'm looking at additional barrels for my 7-08 Stevens 200. That means I need the gauges for the new caliber AND the original. The nice thing for me is I can buy one set of .308 gauges for the 7-08 and use them for most .308 based calibers, one set of 7x57 to check my 7x57s and .257 Roberts and the 6.5x55 for my Stevens. 3 sets of gauges will cover most of the calibers I have on hand OR any used rifles I might find interesting.

mescalero, if I'm not analytical I'll let my common sense run away with my wallet. Oddly enough it still happens though... :? :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at