OT: Do you carry a knife or two?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

OT: Do you carry a knife or two?

Post by Modoc ED »

It was the middle of the night on 5 April 1979 two days after leaving Subic Bay, Philippines and I was dead asleep in my berthing compartment all the way forward on the 03-Level of the USS Ranger (CV61) as she was nearing the Eastern approaches of the Straits of Malacca. All of a sudden there was one heck of a clatter along with sirens, whistles, gongs, and bells. It was the collision alarm and I sat straight up in my rack and jumped to the deck. There was a tremendous shudder throughout the ship as I put on my dungarees and boots and went from my berthing compartment into the port (left) passageway and then through a watertight door onto the catwalk.

Upon reaching the catwalk, I saw that we had struck a tanker in her port side, amidships, and she was holed from her main deck to her waterline. It turns out she was a Liberian tanker christened "Fortune". The Ranger sustained major damage to her bow the forward part of the flight deck and to Secondary Con where the ship was steered from in case the main steering on the bridge was disabled for whatever reason.

As my berthing compartment was directly behind Secondary Con, I returned to the berthing compartment to check on any damage. A cage-like cable run had broken away and was keeping some of the guys from leaving the berthing compartment. Myself and two other sailors used our knives and my Leatherman Multi-Tool to cut away enough cable for them to espcape and to free up access to another door to exit the compartment.

The Ranger returned to the Subic Bay Naval Ship Yard where another bow was configured and installed, the flight deck was repaired, and Secondary Con was repaired.

That is only one instance in my life that a knife has played an instrumental part in my activities. I always carry at least one knife on me (two most of the time) along with a Leatherman Super Tool.

How about you guys? Anybody else carry more than one knife at a time.
Last edited by Modoc ED on Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ED
Yer never too old
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: OT: Do you carry a knife or two?

Post by Blaine »

SOG multi-tool and 4" Cold Steel Folder...never leave home without them. The SOG is in a two compartment sheath with a little AAA battery LED light....I'll bet I use both of them at least 2 or 3 times a week. The folder comes out for just about anything that needs cut or trimmed.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

YEP. A 4 1/4" EYE BRAND STOCKMAN and a Leatherman WAVE multi-tool.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Super Tool 200 - pulled a guy's tooth in a Mexican restaurant with one and cut the bumper of my mother in law's Subaru after an accident to let her drive off. Great tool!
And Case Mid Folding Hunter.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

ALWAYS

A flat neat little Buck 501 goes everywhere with me. It will hold a shaving edge through lots of cuts.

My Leatherman Super Tool goes with me when I'm out & about in the Hills around here. as does either a Cold Steel Master Hunter or one of their Recon Scout knives. Talk about "tank-tough..."

For Cowboy Social occasions, I'll pack one of my TrailMaster Bowies, just to impress the dudes. Also shaving-sharp.

A dull knife is a wast of space.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
KSRtrd

Post by KSRtrd »

Buck Folder 110 and a Stag from Ireland.
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

If I have my pants on I have my pocket knife along. It is the way a farm boy was raised.
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

For more than the past decade my primary work piece has been a cold Steel Masterhunter. Can't work around horses or anywhere on a this place without one.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Always a Cold Steel Voyager folder or a Ka=Bar folder, and sometimes a SOG multi tool. Don't carry the SOG as much, but one of the two folders are always on me.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

leatherman mini tool in small right front pocket. buckmaster survival knive and folding stock 870 under the back seat of the dakota along with 3 different means to start a fire. just incase it all goes up in flames or zombies attack :wink:
dave in maine
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dave in maine »

if i'm dressed it's a swiss army multi tool,small swiss army folder with scissors etc.and my favorite a gerber bolt action.ya just never know when you'll need one.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I've been carry Bucks for a long time. I have a Buck 110X that has the blade autographed by Chuck Buck so I wanted to quit carrying that one. I was carrying a Buck 301 Stockman's but this past Christmas I bought myself a Puma Stag folder. So far I like the Puma better than the Buck as it's a little slimmer and trimmer.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Kershaw Ken Onion assisted open folder in my pants. Gerber multi tool in the Jeep.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

I always carry a BSA whittler knife in my pockets at the minimum.
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

A small Case Sodbuster all the time.

Gerber paraframe folder with a clip when I "go to town" (back up to CCW iron) or am horseback (cuts lead ropes etc in a crisis)
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I carry a CRKT M16-12Z all the time since Thanksgiving '08. I have been carrying a Leatherman as well since Christmas. I love them both and would fell quite naked if I didn't have both on me when leaving the house.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Been carrying a stag handled boot knife (pic below) lately as a "good luck" knife. But there is generally a Buck 110 in my glovebox, and a Snap-On folding box knife with a hook blade within reach --- My truck's winter survival kit also has a large fixed blade in there somewhere (a cold steel bushman) amongst the ropes straps flares and blankets

----- Doug
lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

I have collected knives for the better part of 30 years, and some of my favorite knives I don't ever put in my pocket for various reasons. But, there are two I have carried for years. I always have my SOG Sogwinder I with one hand opening. I have carried that knife for more than 15 years. It has been around the world with me, although since 9/11 it had to go in checked baggage. I have had SOG replace the Kraton rubber handle slabs twice, but just love the feel of that checkered rubber in my hand. The other knife I carry in a sheath is a special rescue version of the Victorinox Multi-Tool. It includes a seat belt cutter and a glass breaker carbide. I recently purchased a Victorinox Swiss Army Rescue Tool, and it may replace the multi-tool. Maybe. It is quite a bit smaller to carry, but has a lot less utility as well.
"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams
waz
Levergunner

Post by waz »

Always.
Schrade Old Timer 125OT (one of the original ones, not the copy you get now); and sharp. Blunt knives are useless and dangerous. It's the blunt knife that'll cut ya.
Never leave home without it.

Waz
Last edited by waz on Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Outside of the once or twice a year airplane ride,
these are the 3 items I never leave home without. :wink:
Leatherman.
Cobra .22 mag.
And my all time favorite deer antler pen.
Last edited by cshold on Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Always have one or two. Used to carry a Leatherman Wave. Lost it and haven't replaced it yet.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

Modec Ed.....always a Case Stockman or Trapper....Leatherman also.....now a question ?? While in Subic did ya cross the river ??

jumbeaux
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Nope, I usally don't have a knife on me! Probably should though(got enough) might just start! Good Idea!
Thanks men! :mrgreen:
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Before anything else goes in my pockets in the morning, the Leathman Wave Tool gets hitched to the laynard of the tool and a belt loop. It takes 1 second to get it out of my pocket, just by pulling on the attached lace.

I've broken off the both blades and the saw and I just send her back and a newby gets sent back within a week.

I probably whip it out (the tool :D ) 20 times a day.

I have three Leathermans---can't begin to tell you boys the amount of times those babies have gotten me (and non-carryin' buddies) out of jams.----------------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

2ndovc wrote:Always have one or two. Used to carry a Leatherman Wave. Lost it and haven't replaced it yet.

jb 8)
I also lost a Wave and haven't replaced it yet. I always carry at least one knife on me.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Been a small 2-3 blade folder in my left front pocket since I was eight.
Mostly a stockman, canoe or Trapper. If I'm wearing pants it's there.

Usually have one or two more when I head out to the mountains or desert.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

jumbeaux wrote:Modec Ed.....always a Case Stockman or Trapper....Leatherman also.....now a question ?? While in Subic did ya cross the river ??

jumbeaux
All the time. Favorite bar was the "One for the Road" on Gordon Avenue.

First bar you came to when crossing the river was the "Hole in the Wall" right next to the currency exchange.
ED
Yer never too old
BC in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BC in TN »

These are always close by
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Generally a Spyderco Lil' Temperance and a Leatherman.

At times, several more. At one time (see pic) i had up to five knives on me, a Benchmade for daily use on my body, the Spyderco in my loadbearing gear, the Gerber also on my LBE, the Ka-Bar in my assault pack with the other knives as "spares".

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

MrMurphy nice 203 laying on that HMMWV :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Always have my Swiss Army officer. Around the yard or in the bush etc a Buck folder is added.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
win7094M1
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win7094M1 »

Always knife - small Swiss Army knife on keychain
Buck folder in uniform pants pocket when working
Leatherman tool on belt when in Scout uniform when camping in addition to the other two.
Winchester M94 30-30 (1980)
Winchester M70 Westerner 30-06 (1982)
Winchester M1 Garand (1942)
Too many others to list - hope to add more levers soon.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Once you've had to ask one of your KIDS to loan you a knife a few times, you start carrying one more often.

Even though I don't think I'd like the politics of the 'Leatherman' founder :evil: , his tools are pretty nice, so I own several.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Always have a knife on me, unless I'm traveling by air. For work a Randall guardian on my boot, a Boker stockman in my right front pocket and an Ed Schempp Spyderco Persian in my right rear pocket. Not working, I carry the Boker and the Spyderco.
Old Law Dawg
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

swiss army
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

BC in TN wrote:These are always close by
Wow! looks like my pen :D
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I always have my Leatherman, and one of three Kershaws that go comfortably in a front pocket.
NRA Life Member
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

some people don't carry more than one blade?

two is one/one is none.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Always got two on me, a Spyderco clipped to my left front pocket and a 3" Ruko folder in the pocket, no real reason to carry two, I just feel better that way :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Rifleman336
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman336 »

I carry a NOS Imperial Kamp-King or when I was working as a armed guard a Kershaw / Ken Onion "Blur".

I like the Kamp-King for it's the same knife I was given by my dad when I was a Cub Scout and it was was my grandfather's knife. I used it on CAP field training and real life SAR's before I realized if I lost it I'd lose the little of my grandfather I had left. So I retired it and I carried a Imperial-Scherade mini clip hanger or a Gerber #300 blade. I tryed to carry a a multi tool in my pocket but it was just to unconfortable and very heavy!! The cheapy sheaths and even leather ones were killed by the score the multi tool. I decided I didn't need the pliers that bad.

I really got to miss the Boy Scout configuration knife about 4 years ago I found a knife collector that was getting rid of duplicates in his collection and being that their not a hot collectors item I got a "new" Kamp-King" for everyday carry. I gets used at least twice a day. And the other implements are all I ever need in 99% of my knife use.

For My field gear I have a USAF Survival knife from my SAR training and mission days with the Civil Air Patrol I ground off the saw teeth, when I was younger and dumber, but it's still my field knife.

Rifleman 336
Never bite off more than you can chew.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Always carry at least one - except when I have to fly. Stupid TSA rule... :evil:
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

"I like the Kamp-King for it's the same knife I was given by my dad when I was a Cub Scout and it was was my grandfather's knife. I used it on CAP field training and real life SAR's before I realized if I lost it I'd lose the little of my grandfather I had left. So I retired it..."

Same situation here. In High School, I carried my Dad's old Case green bone "Circle C" whittler, which his dad had given him in 1931 upon reaching the ripe old age of 10. Just a few strokes on a stone and it was shaving sharp. Then, I realized what I had, and put it away to prevent loss. Over the years, I've used many older Case knives as EDC's. One I really miss was a NOS XX USA (1965-1969) red bone Stockman that I lost in a movie theater after several years of use. It was really a great knife! Another I used for many years was a NOS Case XX (1920-1940) red-bone half-whittler that's an exact clone of the knife my Dad carried through WW2. It also is a great knife, but has been retired. I had bought those two knives for $35.00 each from a country preacher who was getting rid of his collection c. 1990. Sure wish I'd bought all he had...

Now the 2 half-whittlers sit side by side in a box in the safe, with Dad's first knife... I sometimes carry a nice '77 Case Trapper, but lately have shifted to a Schatt & Morgan (made by Queen) "File & Wire Tested" limited edition, medium Toothpick, with ATS-34 steel. It is beautifully made, fits the hand and pocket just great, cuts well, and holds an edge very well. I have always been a Case fanatic (1979 and earlier only), but these Schatts are being built now to the quality found in the old Case XX's of pre-WW2 vintage -- far and away better than what Case puts out now, sadly. And, buying one helps support a currently-working US employee, as opposed to using knives made by folks long since retired! :lol:

The soul-less work knife that gets used and abused is my Benchmade Osborne axis-lock, which is one slick-operating tool. It takes a decent edge (154CM steel), but doesn't hold it as well as the ATS-34. It gets used constantly throughout the day. The Schatt or Case knives come along for the ride, and get used for special chores that require fine cutting, etc., They are good, old-time quality knives that improve morale in today's modern, mass-produced Chinese garbage retail world... :P

Like y'all, if I have my pants on, I have a knife, and have been that way since about age 10. Wouldn't know how to do without 'em on a day to day basis!

John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

Original leatherman, swiss army knife (One made for Beretta) and at least one folding knife- usually a Smith and Wesson (so called swat model) a Gerber 110 is often substituted for the latter.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I have a small folding knive with the belt clip, which I use as a money clip. It's in my pocket everyday. I use it to open boxes at work several times a day.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Leatherman wave on belt, Benchmade mini-rukus auto in front right pocket.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Spyderco Native, all the time.
TuPapito
Levergunner

Post by TuPapito »

Buck/Cabela's Outfitter Alpha Crosslock PBS
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

The only advantage to being FAT is I have big pockets so I ahve carried a swiss champ(the big one) everyday for the last eighteen years or so. When I was driving truck I also carried a gerber gator, unless it was a dressup occassion..then I put on my good knife! Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

pdawg.shooter wrote:If I have my pants on I have my pocket knife along. It is the way a farm boy was raised.
+1
It is not the critic who counts
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

A couple of weeks ago at a gun show in Wichita I picked up a Camillus knife cartridge series .30-30 winchester. The knife was brand new in the box. I purchased it for $25.00. Since Camillus is out of business now I think it is a nice addition to my Boy Scout knife collection.