Opinions of the Henry 22 Golden boy, Eagle Scout edition?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Peter M. Eick
Levergunner 2.0

Opinions of the Henry 22 Golden boy, Eagle Scout edition?

Post by Peter M. Eick »

I would never normally even remotely consider buying an ornate gun like this one:

http://henryrepeating.com/h004es_eagles ... m=Readmore

But, being an Eagle Scout and having earned the rank, it sort of struck me.

I have a 9422 XTR which I really love to shoot so this would just be for fun.

My concern is the quality, because I would shoot it and the longevity of the gun. It says it is a "brasslite" receiver which I take to be brass and a steel barrel and lever. My assumption would be that the engraving and gold leaf would wear if you shot it much. Anyone have any experience or opnions on that?

I don't collect engraved guns, so this would be a way out of the norm for me. Since they want a grand for it, I was curious about the background quality of it.

Any comments would be appreciated.
38-55 & 38/44 What a combination!
Ysabel Kid

Re: Opinions of the Henry 22 Golden boy, Eagle Scout edition?

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hmmm... I may have to start socking away some money to save for one for Y2K. I figure he's about 4 years away from his Eagle.

I've never held one in my hands, so hard to say about it. I'm interested to hear if anyone here has first-hand experience with one. Y2K has a Henry lever-action .22, and it is just one fun little gun! :D
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

I cannot speak for the Eagle Scout model directly but I do own a regular golden boy .22, the BSA Centennial model .22, a Henry Accu-bolt .22 and a Henry Brass and Octogon .30-30. The only rifle I am not going to shoot is the BSA Centennial model. I have the display plaque for it and it is strictly going to be a display gun above my desk.

The BSA Centennial model is the first Henry I purchased. I was so impressed with the quality of that rifles materials and workmanship that it led me to purchase the other three models.

Contrary to what has been posted here, the brass lite is a high grade propreitary brass alloy and is very durable. It is not plated nor is it pot metal grade of metal. No one would be able to stay in business very long selling expensive guns made out of an inferior metal such as pot metal. The rifles shoot very smooth and acurately and the walnut is very beautiful and of high quality.

My advice is if you want a keepsake rifle to honor yourself or another Eagle Scout, by all means buy it. I would shoot it sparingly though and handle it gingerly. If you want a general purpose .22 for hunting or plinking or a truck or workhorse gun, I would buy a much cheeper rifle.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

maybe the bsa should award this when rank is achieved.

got one coming up in about six months.

what to do, what to do.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Don't forget that Winchester issued the 9422 levergun in 1985, with models commemorating both Boy Scouts and Eagle Scouts.

"M9422 BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA, 22 Long Rifle cal. 15000 mfg.
Engraved (Boy Scout Salute) pewter plated receiver, lever, bands, medallion in stock, 20" round barrel

M9422 EAGLE SCOUT, 22 Long Rifle cal. 1000 mfg.
Same engraving pattern as standard model except deeper, antique gold plated receiver, lever , bands,
high polish blue, XXX wood w/ walnut Presentation Case.
"

Peter M. Eick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Peter M. Eick »

Those came out during my period I was in college and could not even afford to think about buying a gun.

Thanks for the advice guys. I will have to seriously consider it.
38-55 & 38/44 What a combination!
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Gents,

First, Brasslite is NOT brass. The Henry rimfire leverguns use a somewhat unique receiver, that uses a cover to hold the breechbolt in place, and it also contains the upper tang. Both the RECEIVER & the RECEIVER COVER are made of a proprietatry ZINC/ ALUMINUM alloy, similar to one of the ZAMAC alloys. (This does NOT mean that the Henrys are all-aluminum. They do contain steel parts, where steel is needed.) The receiver cover on the Golden Boy is made of this alloy, then it is "coated" with the brass color. ...maybe some form of anodizing. :?: :!:

Second, I would NOT be concerned about mechanical longevity of the Henry rimfire leverguns. Mine has about 10,000 rounds through it, and it is absolutely trouble-free, and a pleasure to own & shoot. ...now, whether the cosmetics of the "special edition" embellishmnets will last...well, I just don't know that. :!: :?:

As for the price, I would not pay that much for the rifle in question, which is a personal preference. :wink:

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I might buy one for show, but I wouldn't buy it to shoot. I'm not real impressed with the Henry rifles. A local shop sells a good bit of these, but also takes quite a few back for repairs. I know some people say they're great guns for the money, but the couple I've personally owned didn't show the best quality as far as fit or finish.