What do you think,,,

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

What do you think,,,

Post by Nath »

made it at work today.

They are slugs intended for a 410. They measure .413 ish and weigh 230grns or 247grn with the plastic tube.

I would love to own a 9410 but fear they are to much money now over here. I am considering a Mossberg, any of you guy's have any experience with one in 410?

Nath.
Last edited by Nath on Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What do you think,,,

Post by fordwannabe »

Nath if you asking about the mossburg 410 shotgun I have used one many times, still have it. Works well but it is hard to hit anything with I am used to having an once plus of shot and those little shells don't have many pellets, but it's probably just that I am a horrible shotgunner. The gun works well though. tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

fordwannabe wrote:Nath if you asking about the mossburg 410 shotgun I have used one many times, still have it. Works well but it is hard to hit anything with I am used to having an once plus of shot and those little shells don't have many pellets, but it's probably just that I am a horrible shotgunner. The gun works well though. tom
Thanks, did you try any slug in it?

410 guns do have to fit you perfect to get anywhere with them, very challenging just the same.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Iron_Marshal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Iron_Marshal »

You "MADE" a bullet mold at work today...????

WOW...

It looks great, solid, machined to exacting standards. WAY past my level of expertise.

(That is my way of saying, "Me beat on ground with stick in jealous frustration at what this crazy godlike man make with metal...metal?...what is metal??? *continuing to beat on ground with big stick and beating my chest*)
Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Iron_Marshal wrote:You "MADE" a bullet mold at work today...????

WOW...

It looks great, solid, machined to exacting standards. WAY past my level of expertise.

(That is my way of saying, "Me beat on ground with stick in jealous frustration at what this crazy godlike man make with metal...metal?...what is metal??? *continuing to beat on ground with big stick and beating my chest*)
Hey come on now, if it was real good it would have grease grooves!

N.

PS, taking a bud out now flash lighting for a fox, he is fed up and needs to get out. I catch up later.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Very impressive Nath! :mrgreen:
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

cool,

you must have an understanding boss.

are you a machinist by trade?
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
scarville
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scarville »

I have a Mossberg 410 with 20" bbl and muzzle brake (!). I bought it for my daughter for defense about 15 years ago. Bird shot is a waste of time beyond about five or ten feet but it shoots slugs and 000 buck with reasonable accuracy.
What most people call a "right" is the equivalent of a dog walking on a leash. Just because your leash is a little longer than the other dogs' does not mean you don't have a master.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Nath wrote:made it at work today.
Seriously? You work!!!???? I thought you just just ran around in the woods at all hours of the day and shot things.

I'm just joking with you, that looks cool. I'll shut up and put my soother back in. :wink:
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

Looks great Nath....

jumbeaux
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

very kewl. i look forward to your range report. I"m thinking some foxes are going to be in big trouble very soon.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

IMO, those are the first .410 slugs I've ever seen that might hope to be useful!

If you shotgun will shoot them that ought to take a deer cleanly.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Nath, those moulds look great! You are truly talented.

I've been thinking about a .410 myself. In fact I just stopped by two places on the way home from work looking for one. I'm leaning towards another N.E.F. though. I think the single shot will make loading the crazy stuff I'll launch a bit easier.

I've been thinking ( dangerious I know) a .410 will chamber a .45 Colt interchangeably and some are even marked .45/.410 lately so that means a .452 ball should launch just fine Running that through the calculator at Beartooth Bullets web site says that a .452 round ball of pure lead will weigh 139 grains. In the south, for years a lot of people took their yearly venison during muzzleloading season with .45 cal long rifles shooting round balls so they must have sufficient killing power. In fact, in my home state of Fla. you are only required to use a .40 cal. I'm wondering what would happen if you took that round ball and loaded into your .410 shell as if you were loading a muzzleloader, meaning powder first ( the most important first step) then put a cloth patch over the shell and push the ball down through the patch. Cut off the patch and seat the ball down on the powder.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I just measured the muzzle of my old single shot 410. It is full choke and measures .397. I don't know if I'd like to try a squeeze a 45 cal slug through there. Even at no choke .410 would be tight for a 45. Just my .02.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I just got back from hunting fox with my knife making buddy. He is down with his work load but I managed to get him smiling tonight.

We found a fox in a hedge as we drove over a small hill. He was in the bottom hiding in a hedge. Rob had to aim between two sticks with just an inch gap just at it's head. Something like 100yds but that 140grn B tip in .27 found it's mark like usual. Later on we found another fox on the side of a small valley. We lasered it at 240yds dead on! he say's he allowed for a couple of inch drop and he got that too. We also recoverd the bullet jacket from the turf behind the fox, an old dog fox (male) with only one fang remaining. We heard and saw a screaming vixen but she slipped away from us.

I have concerns about these slugs, I have to check that they will fit in a plastic case yet!
If I can then a 4" group at 50yds would be fantastic. Thier shape should give a good thumping to anything in the way!

The ball thing would take some doing IMO. A small single ball will take deer just like from a M/L but a fast powder may be required in a normal light weight 410 and not to much of it at that so that may mean filling the case with wadding and in my experience a single ball and alot of wadding don't do to well. The case is quite dependant on the closure for compression at start up too in my experience.

I am not to sure about the .45 ball too, don't them combo guns 45/410 shoot the the 410 through a 45 barrel???

The single barrel job I keep pondering to but for slug some fancy work would be required to make some sights up.

No I ain't no qualified machinest but mostly a welder fabricator. I do learn pretty quick though and take full advantage when I get chance :wink:

Must go bed now :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Oh yeah, I have in the past shot solid full size slugs through full choke(over 20years ago now)! The recovered slugs looked longer and had been swaged down by the choke!
They were shot through a converted Lee Enfield 303 so it was strong!!!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

Nath,I have personally shot and killed two deer with .410 slugs some years back.One was at about 40 yards and one was at 20 yards.In both cases it was a one shot kill.The 20 yard shot was a pass thru and on the 40 yard shot I found the expanded slug under the far side hide.I would never try it at any greater distance than about 50 yards.The shotgun was a full choke single barrel.

Stasn in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

madman4570 wrote:Very impressive Nath! :mrgreen:
VERY!!! 8) 8) 8)