NRA Membership

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

NRA Membership

Post by Griff »

I know that some here have some issues with the NRA. I'm not among them. I just received a letter offering an upgrade from Life to Endowment at a substantial savings. I've been saving for my new 1885 Winchester. Well, that just got put back a month or so. If any of the rest of you "Lifers" receive this offer, please take advantage of it. The NRA IS the best and loudest voice we have.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Griff -

Good for you! :D I took advantage of the same offer a couple years ago. Last year, they made me an discounted offer on the upgrade from Endowment to Patron. As you see from my tag line, I took advantage of that one as well! :D

You're right - the NRA isn't perfect, but it is the most effective force we have!!!

P.S. - remember to change your tag line!!! :wink:
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Re: NRA Membership

Post by LeverBob »

Griff wrote:I know that some here have some issues with the NRA. I'm not among them. I just received a letter offering an upgrade from Life to Endowment at a substantial savings. I've been saving for my new 1885 Winchester. Well, that just got put back a month or so. If any of the rest of you "Lifers" receive this offer, please take advantage of it. The NRA IS the best and loudest voice we have.
Count me in too..

A few yrs. ago they offered Endowment & I signed up. Now they have offered Patron...yep!...I am going to take advantage of that too!

When they offer me Benefactor...Yep, I'll sign up for that one too.

I agree 100 percent Griff...proud to be a family member. Life 1970.

LeverBob
Joe Reilly
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Joe Reilly »

I've accepted their offer every time to upgrade at a discount. Now I'm a Benefactor. When people complain about the inconvenience of paying for an annual membership, I tell them to go Life and avoid the mess. There are payment plans too. :D :D
NRA Benefactor Member

My mind is like a steel trap,
rusty and illegal in 37 states.
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Re: NRA Membership

Post by gary rice »

i got the same offer just a few days ago. i believe i will take them up on it. they may not be perfect but theyre all we've got.
Griff wrote:I know that some here have some issues with the NRA. I'm not among them. I just received a letter offering an upgrade from Life to Endowment at a substantial savings. I've been saving for my new 1885 Winchester. Well, that just got put back a month or so. If any of the rest of you "Lifers" receive this offer, please take advantage of it. The NRA IS the best and loudest voice we have.
g rice
45-70-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 45-70- »

Guys, please dont take offense, but they will offer you anything as long as you keep funding their paychecks. Have any of you ever seen the fancy digs they have for offices? People need to realize there are other chices for us besides the NRA.
I am a salty, old, retired Chief Petty Officer who is not impressed by much.

"We're surrounded, that simplifies our situation." Chesty Puller

Member of Marlin Firearms forum '02-'04
Member of Marlin Talk forum '04-?
Member of original Leverguns forum '04-'07
Member of new Leverguns forum '07-?
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

I haven't gotten my offer yet but you all are motivating me to do the right thing! I am currently a Life Member.
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

life member

Post by brucew44guns »

Been a member for years, never recall getting an discount offer to go life.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Dave H.
Levergunner

Post by Dave H. »

45-70- wrote:
Guys, please dont take offense, but they will offer you anything as long as you keep funding their paychecks. Have any of you ever seen the fancy digs they have for offices? People need to realize there are other chices for us besides the NRA.
Not trying to start a fight here at all, and do agree somewhat with your line of thinking...but the NRA is still the biggest dog in the junkyard fight over our gun rights. The NRA is way too soft and way too politically correct and compromising for my tastes, but...they're the only ones with enough political clout to make a difference and have any influence in Washington. I try to support the other organizations as much as possible, but the NRA gets the lion's share. Just my $.02 :D
NRA Endowment Life Member
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

45-70- wrote:Guys, please dont take offense, but they will offer you anything as long as you keep funding their paychecks. Have any of you ever seen the fancy digs they have for offices? People need to realize there are other chices for us besides the NRA.
No offense taken. :)

Keep in mind, these great guys that are upgrading there membership
into the the higher levels will have a bigger say.
Collectively they have the power to make the NRA even better and
keep her on track. :wink:

I do applaud you guys. :D
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I'm just about done with my payments for NRA Life. I don't agree with everything the NRA does, but, it's our best chance in my opinion.
Old Law Dawg
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Dave H. wrote:45-70- wrote:
Not trying to start a fight here at all, and do agree somewhat with your line of thinking...but the NRA is still the biggest dog in the junkyard fight over our gun rights. The NRA is way too soft and way too politically correct and compromising for my tastes, but...they're the only ones with enough political clout to make a difference and have any influence in Washington. I try to support the other organizations as much as possible, but the NRA gets the lion's share. Just my $.02 :D
I've been a member of the NRA for a couple of decades, and am currently a Benefactor Member.

I'm on board with the "backing the biggest kid" argument, but truth be told, in recent years I am questioning what exactly the NRA is pushing for, because they are looking less and less like a champion for the 2nd Amendment, and more and more like a mole for the Brady Center.

:?
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
DavidS
Levergunner 1.0

Post by DavidS »

I am an NRA/Life/Benifactor member and you are right,the higher up you go on the ladder,the more say you will have on how the NRA is run.The membership it's self can only change what they do not like.And I do know with out the NRA we would not have the 2nd amendment any more.Please vote and sign up as many new members that you can.
David S
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

casastahle wrote:
45-70- wrote:Guys, please dont take offense, but they will offer you anything as long as you keep funding their paychecks. Have any of you ever seen the fancy digs they have for offices? People need to realize there are other chices for us besides the NRA.
No offense taken. :)

Keep in mind, these great guys that are upgrading there membership
into the the higher levels will have a bigger say.
Collectively they have the power to make the NRA even better and
keep her on track. :wink:

I do applaud you guys. :D
If people at the higher levels had a bigger say, the NRA wouldn't have dumped Neil Knox or Joe Horn or Leroy Pyle or, or, or in favor of Wayne "Vichy" LaPierre and his $800,000+/yr personal waste of my Lifetime Dues...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
WinM71
Levergunner 2.0

Post by WinM71 »

I took them up on a discounted upgrade to Benefactor years ago. They aren't perfect, but they've done one hell of a job for us over the years. You can't please everybody.
My mind reader refuses to charge me..........

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you somethin'. That ain't an optical illusion, it only LOOKS LIKE an optical illusion.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

As you know I just became a Life Member of the NRA. Why? Because you can't play the game unless you're on a team and you can't make a team better unless you're willing to play. If you don't like the way the NRA is playing on the national (and local level as in GA) then perhaps the best and easiest way is to change the board. Be at least a voting member, pick a Life member (or better) who you think represents your views and campaign for that person. It could be me :wink: or Griff or ... well, you get the picture. But doing nothing isn't working, is it?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Hobie wrote:As you know I just became a Life Member of the NRA. Why? Because you can't play the game unless you're on a team and you can't make a team better unless you're willing to play. If you don't like the way the NRA is playing on the national (and local level as in GA) then perhaps the best and easiest way is to change the board. Be at least a voting member, pick a Life member (or better) who you think represents your views and campaign for that person. It could be me :wink: or Griff or ... well, you get the picture. But doing nothing isn't working, is it?
+1 :wink:
Jeff Pitts
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Jeff Pitts »

I've been a life member for 20+ years or so. I guess it's time to upgrade................. :oops: :oops:

JP
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

I HAVE BEEN AN ANNUAL MEMBER SINCE 1958.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
oldmax
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldmax »

I was a member for many years,droped out during the 'Knox' deal.
( yes I'm Old )

Keep thinking I should join, but,
I was at the Gun show today NRA had Hats for sale...

MADE IN CHINA !!!! Just don't seem right....
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have been an annual member for most of the last 30yrs or better, and I almost took them up on the discounted life membership a couple of months ago, but decided to hold off for right now, as I have had some major medical bill with family members to deal with. Maybe in the future I can get back on track.

I am however paid up for several years annual membership, because every time I go to the Tulsa gunshow I buy another year, and I go twice a year.

The NRA may not be perfect, but without them, we would probably not have near the firearms freedoms we still have today, and they have won several victorys, and helped oust several liberal anti-gunners from office.
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

NRA Upgrades

Post by brucew44guns »

Truth is, even our Government is totally filled up with pond scum commie liberals, who have no conception of what harm they do to our Republic and way of life by the way they vote and legislate. I have had a hard time believing it was in the interest of the NRA membership, for our top managers to support in any way whatever ideas that the likes of Schumer or McCarthy could be beating the drums for. If Schumer likes something, I automatically dislike it, sorry. And I have to wonder what an upgrade for me can ultimately do to turn Wayne around. But I do remain a member, paid ahead for 11 more years.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Caco
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Caco »

I'm a member-po'd member understand their importance, but the money does the talking and am really in self hurt between sending a message and just giving unherd support. Fat cats in everything :evil:
Dave
Caco
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Caco »

Actually a lean diet will improve the mind :wink:
Dave
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Wait, so people with more money to upgrade their membership have more say than the regular members? Do they get more votes? Richer people have more say than poor? Doesn't seem right if that's the case, why isn't everyone equal with equal opportunities?
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I am not making excuses, but the NRA's HQ also house the National Firearms Museum. A good use of our money. If you've never seen it, go - it is worth your while.

A fancy HQ also speaks to the power of the NRA - not lost on the pondscum that inhabit Washington. 4 million+ members and that show a lot of force to be reconned with.

Lastly, though the annual salaries of the NRA's leadership seem exceesive to most of us - and only a dream for darn near all of us (imagine the leverguns you could buy with that kind of dough!), compared to leaders in business, this is chump change.

Bottom line, we may not always agree with the NRA, but leaving it - making it less powerful - is exactly what the enemies of the Second Amendment would love to see. I belong to a lot of other pro-gun groups, but if the NRA disappeared tomorrow, none of these would last a year. Hobie hit the nail on the head - join, upgrade your membership, and make changes from the inside...
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

jazman wrote:Wait, so people with more money to upgrade their membership have more say than the regular members? Do they get more votes? Richer people have more say than poor? Doesn't seem right if that's the case, why isn't everyone equal with equal opportunities?
Those who participate in the process to a greater degree have more say.

Doesn't have anything to do with money.

Paying your membership fee just opens the door, it doesn't open your mouth. Only you can do that.

If you want to influence the NRA, do more than send a check. OPEN YOUR MOUTH.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

To those folks who try to rationalize not belonging to the best lobbying organization for keeping/restoring your Rights and those of your children...

Thanks for nothing!

To those in the above group who own and shoot firearms alongside NRA members at the range...

How dare you.

:roll:

To heck with your political correctness. JMHO. Chew on it.
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

mohavesam wrote:To those folks who try to rationalize not belonging to the best lobbying organization for keeping/restoring your Rights and those of your children...

Thanks for nothing!

To those in the above group who own and shoot firearms alongside NRA members at the range...

How dare you.

:roll:

To heck with your political correctness. JMHO. Chew on it.
#1: I'm a LIFE member, have been for years, and I'm beyond upset at what they have done to ME - and every other member who has a person with a mental illness in their family.

#2: I'm a LIFE MEMBER and not going to Quit the NRA - but I'm not giving them another penny either. No individual is worth 1000 Life Memberships per year... especially when the operative term seems to be "compromise (i.e. "slow bleed/sellout").

#3: I'm a LIFE MEMBER and the NRA wil not answer my CIVIL, questions about the LEGAL RAMIFICATIONS of their "compromises". That's supposed to make me happy?

#4: I'm a LIFE MEMBER and as a student of history, I cannot comprehend WHY they would be a party to a law that mirrors some of the 1936 "Racial Hygiene" laws.

#5: I'm a LIFE MEMBER and I can't understand why the NRA will quote Harlon Carter in an article in the AR on July 2007 saying "Judge a law by the worst reading, & in the hands of the worst enemies of the 2nd Amendment" and yet REFUSE to look at HR2640 through the same stricture.

#6: I'm a LIFE MEMBER of the NRA, and a person deeply committed to the PRINCIPLES that our country is founded upon. And you cannot imagine how betrayed I personally feel when the NRA and people, that I respect, and would like to think of as friends, here and elsewhere, tell me that they have "no issues" with the NRA when they partner with Carolyn (little Joe) McCarthy and Chucky ("what Shoah?") Schumer to declare that the Government treat and track MY WIFE - WHO HAS COMMITTED NO CRIME - as if she were no different than a Child Rapist.

Wayne (Vichy) LaPierre is Not Pope. The NRA is NOT infallible. The "slow bleed" of "compromise" only means that one day we won't have the strength to be able to fight.

I hope to G_d that none of you have to look at your friends and the people that you trust to protect you from the ravages of a government trying to run amok and be forced to try to choose between them and a family member.

That's where I am right now - and it is a very bleak and lonely place.

But I cannot conscience a non-antagonistic association with people who do not care and are willing to accept that innocent people, like my wife, are being treated and tracked like criminals by our government. There are enough issues in this world dealing with the Official Stigma and Discrimination associated with neurochemical disorders to have to see it from people who I would otherwise like to hang out with.

I am not willing to sacrifice my 2nd Amendment RIGHT because the Big Government PR Flacks NRA won't take the time to understand how outdated the 1968 GCA is in regards to Mental Health Treatment.

I won't sacrifice my family's Right to Privacy and freedom from Government Oversight because the Big Government PR Flacks at the NRA don't think people with Neurochemical Disorders - or their families - are worth defending.

Innocent People should not be Tracked by the Government, and the RKBA is a RIGHT, not a Privilege granted only to those the Government or NRA think are "sane enough".

If you want to email me, you can, but I'm taking a "time out" to focus on repealing this travesty. NRA be darned.

Multi famam, conscientiam pauci verentur, sed mea mihi conscientia pluris est quam omium sermo.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!