45-75 WCF

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Asa Smith
Levergunner

45-75 WCF

Post by Asa Smith »

Hello
I just discovered the levergun website when it started having problems.
I just bought a Uberti 76' in 45-75 and need all the info i can get on reloading that cartridge.
I have read some of the past posts on loads, and was wondering what size bullets others have been using ?
I shot some ten-x factory ammo with .456 bullets and a few reloads with .456 bullets, after shooting i found traces of leading near the muzzle so i pushed a larger (.459) bullet through the bore.
It measured .457 at its largest dia.
Most manufacturers make bullets sized at .459, is this bullet to big or would it work ?
Thanks for all the feedback and any and all load ideas are welcome.
Asa Smith
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

My Uberti 45-60 sluged .4573". It would be kind of odd for the two 45 cal barrels from the same manufacturer to be different other than the chambering. I shoot .459 just fine. Even so, I did find that I also had some leading at the muzzle. I attribute the leading to the long barrel, the bullet having miniml lube capacity, and improper (too hard for the velocity) lube. I used a wax check and it all went away, leaving a light lube ring on the muzzle.
Asa Smith
Levergunner

Post by Asa Smith »

Leverluver
You must have more accurate measuring equipment than i do.
I used a central calipers, a miocrometer would give a better result.
It may be closer to .456.
I was just not sure of the bigger size bullet with a .002-.003 difference.
Laser-cast makes a 350 gr. bullet sized at .459, i just hated to buy a bunch of bullets and not be able to use them.
I have some 405 gr . bullets but figured they are to heavy for this cal.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Asa,

You can read pretty much everything I've done here. I'm just now warming up a couple of Lyman and Lee molds. I used a .458" sizing die and those bullets seemed to all impact in a hands breadth at about 80 yards. However I wasn't shooting at a paper target... :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
John Boy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by John Boy »

Most manufacturers make bullets sized at .459, is this bullet to big or would it work ?
Asa - a 459 bullet will work just fine.

My Chaparral has a 456 groove and Lee 457 - 340 bullets cast @ 460 diameter (1:20 alloy) are producing very good groups out to 300 yds
Regards
John
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

This is as close as it comes to the original 45-75 bullet. These work well for me in my original 1876 rifles.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,425.htm

Oh, and welcome! :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva