OT-Colt New Service Snubby of "Lone Wolf" auction.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

OT-Colt New Service Snubby of "Lone Wolf" auction.

Post by rangerider7 »

"Custom Colt New Service
AN HISTORIC ENGRAVED .45 ACP COLT NEW SERVICE REVOLVER, NO. 259048 FOR 1919, CARRIED BY TEXAS RANGER CAPTAIN M.T. "LONE WOLF" GONZAULLAS Extensively customised for Ranger Gonzaullas, the revolver is shortened at barrel, with high fore-sight added, engraved overall with scrolls, shortened butt, nickel and gold plated, trigger guard cut-away at front (in the manner of Fitz-Gerald), oversized rosewood grips, with its brown tooled leather holster by HUNTER 2 3/8 inch (6.1 cm.) barrel Modifications non-factory. Accompanied by a singed letter from J.F. "Buster" Kreuz, an Austin, Texas gun-smith, noting his recollection of working on this revolver for Captain Gonzaullas."

http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_ ... ID=2072656
"That'll Be The Day"
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: OT-Colt New Service Snubby of "Lone Wolf" auction.

Post by gamekeeper »

Interesting revolver :o but not my cup of tea. That shortened butt would give me problems.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

It's pretty, but what do you suppose the utility purpose of opening the trigger guard up like that is?

:) :?:
Last edited by FWiedner on Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Now thats a BBQ if if I have ever seen one!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I like it. I like it alot. It's a little bulldog. And, with those pre secret service grips it would be a great CC rig.

FWeidner, the front of the trigger guard being removed is simply for quicker access to the trigger. You don't have to try and stab your finger between the guard and the trigger when milliseconds count.
Old Law Dawg
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

In 45 ACP you're going to have to squeeze that little grip good and tight though!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

kimwcook wrote:I like it. I like it alot. It's a little bulldog. And, with those pre secret service grips it would be a great CC rig.

FWeidner, the front of the trigger guard being removed is simply for quicker access to the trigger. You don't have to try and stab your finger between the guard and the trigger when milliseconds count.
I understand that might be the logic behind the modification, and I know that a revolver isn't gonna go off DA on a light touch of the trigger, but I envision myself shoving that piece into a pocket or waistband, or even drawing it from the holster, and being the owner of a newly peforated right thigh or buttock.

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Lot's of knowledgable folks swore by the "Fitz" modification. And Lone Wolf would definitly known of which he spoke. For that reason alone, I would never fault those who carried handguns so modified. Like others have said, not my cup of tea, but, I haven't spent my adult life depending on firearms to survive, as did many of the Fitz proponents.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Isn't Lone Wolf the Ranger who owned the 1911 with the completely removed trigger guard?

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Yes, he had multiple guns altered this way. He told me "at close range, it's who's the fastest to get the shot off". He meant real close. He also said, " if the bad men are a good distance, use a carbine". Here is another custom set of revolvers "Lone Wolf" used. They are in the "TEXAS RANGER MUSEUM" in Waco, Texas.

"That'll Be The Day"
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dave James »

Looks almost like the one , we where shooting while I was studying with Col.Askins his was not engraved but was "Fitzed" with a bobbed hammer, seem to remember it being either 38-40 or 44-40 sweet belly gun, the Ole man carried one that had been done up on a S&W 1917.

Normally feel better about Mr.Jordan's rendention, ust a small sliming of the one side