Home Made Peep Sight? *Updated with pics*

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
oic0
Levergunner 2.0

Home Made Peep Sight? *Updated with pics*

Post by oic0 »

Just looking at the skinner made me start thinking. Couldn't you just take a properly threaded bolt and weld a washer on the end of it, cut it to length, and put a small nut under it with a rubber washer between it and the gun? It would look a bit crude but should work, right?

Lookin around my old mans shop, he welds washers on to the adjustment screws of his vice grip pliers so they are easier to turn with gloves on and so they can be hung on a tool rack.

*edit update*
Spring anchor screw
Obviously needs some height adjustment but I don't know what to set it to so I'm scared to cut. Has to be close as it only has 5 turns in possible, so maybe 2 safely for adjustment (which equals 4 half spins). Anyone have a skinner mounted on the back most hold and know the height to the eye?
Also going to definitely need a nut because there is some play in it that lets it wiggle side to side slightly.

It obviously looks way different to the human eye, but you get the idea.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by oic0 on Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: Home Made Peep Sight?

Post by Terry Murbach »

YES, IT CAN BE DONE. SOME YEARS AGO I SHOT AN OLD '73 TRAPDOOR WITH AN EYEBOLT FOR A REAR SIGHT, THREADED INTO THE WRIST, AND AN ORIGINAL SHARPS "OLD RELIABLE" BARREL.
THAT EYE BOLT IS EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT BUT IT IS FACTORY MADE AS SUCH, NOT SOMETHING ADDED ON. IT WORKED PERFECTLY TOO AND THAT OLD TRAPDOOR SHOT UP A STORM.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
oic0
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oic0 »

You're right, I forgot all about eyebolts.

Bet it would look real cool to cut the top of an eye bolt off only leaving a small crescent of the eye left then put a slot in that and stick a buffalo nickel in it with a little hole through the buffalo.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I knew an old guy that did just that with a Remington 700. Took a proper sized screw welded a washer that suited him and used a nut against the top of the action for a loc nut. Drifted the front sight for windage.
He had that whole affair into one of the scope base holes on the rear of the action, said it did everything he needed it to do.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Long ago I went to Home Depot and looked at everything they had, and found a tiny right-angle part in the plumbing section, you might find something suitable without the welding.

It was height adjustable by adding washers underneath it.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I given this some thought also after looking at Mr. Skinners low pro sight. Starting with an eye bolt one could rethread it to the correct pitch. After that fabricating one as nice as Skinners would require alot more time. Thus the reason for his price. During deer season I noticed that an eyebolt type sight would fit into the back scope mount hole on my Marlin and still fit under the scope. With the quick release mounts it could be removed during rain and use the peep sight.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I saw this on Gunbroker,Is this a homemade boltpeep on this 71? what do You Guys make of it???
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =148636244
Last edited by .45colt on Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Go for it!

Firearms manufacturer's have no monopoly on the laws of physics.

Remember when we admired Yankee ingenuity?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I've seen that done on a muzzleloader. Fella used it hunting but took it out when he shot matches mandating the open sights.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

I have mentioned this before I'm sure. Back in the day one of my customers was E.S. Gardiner (Perry Mason) author. I took several of his wheel guns and milled the top strap and installed a tab, think narrow sight slot blank, with a small aperture sight silver soldered onto it. Now days I see it called a ghost ring. The bore was about 1/4-3/16" and worked great on a handgun. I guess you could call it a homemade peep sight.
oic0
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oic0 »

Here is what I have found sofar, what do you guys think? I learned from skinners page that it is 8-40 threads. No eye bolts offered in that. Just knurled thrumb screws and these spring anchors. I am thinking a spring anchor could be perfect though! and if it is too small I can epoxy a washer on to it.

~$3-4 shipped for black oxide mild steel, around $5 shipped for SS
0.100 hole diameter (normal for an aperture sight). I ordered the stainless one to match my gun though if it is hard to get a sight picture I will paint or sharpie the face black.
http://www.drillspot.com/products/53802 ... ing_anchor Steel
http://www.drillspot.com/products/53893 ... ing_anchor SS
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

THAT'LL WORK JUST FINE. ONCE YOU CALUCATE THE SIGHT RADIUS, THREADS PER INCH [ .025" UP OR DOWN PER ONE FULL TURN..], AND TARGET DISTANCES, YOU CAN ADJUST THINGS TO A FARETHEWELL TOO.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
oic0
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oic0 »

Now I just need a dot of this on my front bead and I am set ;)
http://glowinc.com/detail.aspx?ID=1

Its not tritium but it's supposed to glow visibly for 12 hours after being exposed to light.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

That's interesting , a spring anchor. You can also get log set screws in 8-40. Then find the right diameter aperature , drill and tap it . Then thread the set screw into it and J B weld it. Some key chains have swival eyes at the end of them that might work for an apperture.
oic0
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Home Made Peep Sight? *Updated with pics*

Post by oic0 »

Got the bolt in and updated with pics. Still needs some more work.
oic0
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oic0 »

Ran in to a slight issue. I would "like" a knurled thumb nut with a tall shoulder. Of course there are no nuts in this entire world made with 8-40 thread pattern apparently. That only leaves me with the option of buying for a smaller hole, drilling it out, and rethreading it (tap only costs $3). Sadly I don't know enough about threads and what not to know what common threading is slightly smaller than 8-40.

It will work without it. I can put some Teflon on the threads to get rid of the play. I think the specialty nut would make it look better and make it stronger though.
oldCop
Levergunner

Post by oldCop »

.45colt wrote:I saw this on Gunbroker,Is this a homemade boltpeep on this 71? what do You Guys make of it???
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =148636244
It looks like a replica of the original bolt-mounted peep sights on the early Winchester Model 71's.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

OICO , any #6 nut would be smaller . Retapping it would be easy.
oic0
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oic0 »

M6 metric nut?

Lookin at em online, thumb nuts are expensive! starting to think it might be cheaper to take a 6-32 thumb screw from a computer case and drill straight through it with a press then make it in to a thumb nut.

*edit* ok I have a bit better understanding of nuts and bolts now and I get what you were saying. 6-XX nut. I was wondering what those numbers meant lol. I figured the second was the number of threads but didn't know the first was the diameter. Now I feel ignorant lol. It took looking at this chart to make the light come on. http://www.shender4.com/thread_chart.htm

*edit 2* Lowes online webpage says my local store has 6-32 brass knurled finger nuts for $1.15 per pair. Stainless would be purtier but this is supposed to be a budget sight and the cheapest stainless I see online start at $10!!
PaulB
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaulB »

I saw this on Gunbroker,Is this a homemade boltpeep on this 71? what do You Guys make of it???
I have one exactly like it. Got it from that guy in Montana who makes scout rifles, Brockman, on a gun I bought from him. Don't know if he made it or bought it from somebody else.