Hunter Restorations

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gizamo
Levergunner

Hunter Restorations

Post by gizamo »

Just wanted to put in a good word for Mike Hunter. I sent a basket case to him. One of my Model 94 Take Downs had been poorly cut down. To say that the barrel had a few issues is an understatement. :D

Anyrate, I contacted Mike and he has been generous with the PM's and the phone calls. He has walked me through getting this barrel/mag tube back on the right path. It's really refreshing to deal with someone who communicates professionally and in a timely manner. It's the Old School way of doing business ~ and in this day and age it is the exception rather then the rule.

I'm really looking forward to the day he sends the finished product back to me. I have to believe that his reputation for quality must be on par with his way of conducting business...outstanding.

giz
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Hunter Restorations

Post by J Miller »

Giz,

I'm glad to hear your report. I'm hoping you took some close up clear "before" pictures of the barrel so that when it comes back you can show us the "after" pics of Mike's work.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
gizamo
Levergunner

Post by gizamo »

Joe,

I did...

I have some fairly nice takedowns. Mike is making up a hunting package for me. It is a short rifle with a longer forearm configuration. Nothing that is even close to factory original. To straighten this one out...here are the challenges.

The gun was cut down to a odd measurement. Not 22" even from the forward bridge. Whoever did it, hacked the barrel off flush with the mag tube...and never bothered to radius the slot for the lever lug. When they cut the initial 4 inches off the barrel they managed to eliminate the mag tube hanger. The whole thing is a crying shame as the gun was in great condition.

Now for the controversy... :mrgreen:
Because of the mess involving the flush barrel with mag tube...I asked Mike to shorten the barrel once again. It will end up as a 20". This will allow him to accomplish a few things. The sight will be in the right position, the mag tube will no longer be flush with the barrel, and the radius will be milled to lock the lever.

Here in Maine I hunt the thickest willywags you can imagine. If I were alive in the earlier 1900's I'd of ordered just this gun. I am fortunate to own a N.R. Davis and Son's Maximin 16 gauge shotgun with a set of 20" barrels. By trade, I'm a stairbuilder. My intent is to build a railroad type of carrying case for the two guns, to be carried together...

I'm pleased that Mike was willing to take on the train~wreck that I sent him....

Last note: The forend will remain at rifle length...I'm not trying to fool anyone. This ultimately is a hunting gun to be handed down to my sons...

As is the way it should be...as this one was once my Dad's gun. :wink:

giz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Mike does very nice work. 1886.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very cool! 8) Someday I need to get serious about the .25-20 WCF Winchester '92 I have. It needs some TLC beyond my very (VERY) meager skills!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I sent Mike an old 1886 that had been through a massacre. He turned it into a drop-dead gorgeous 1886. The before and after photos are shown on his website in the 'Examples' page. Here's a couple more photos of the same rifle, a .40-82 ...

Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

You can count on Mike doing the right thing by your '94, that's for darned sure. The TDs do not have a slotted mag tube plug, it's held in by a screw that goes into a detent on the barrel bottom.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
prebans
Levergunner

Post by prebans »

What's Mike's web address / contact info?

Thanks,

Mike
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Mike, here's his website; http://www.hunterrestorations.com/
Old Law Dawg