OT- RCBS Partner Press

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

OT- RCBS Partner Press

Post by Andrew »

I had a few bucks in Bass Pro gift certificates and decided it was time to get a mounted press. So, I did! The little guy works great and is at least 2x as fast as my Lee "nutcracker" press I've been using up until now. I de-caped/sized all the brass on the desk in what felt like no time. I had to mount the press on a 2x4 and counter sink the underside for the nuts and washers then clamp the 2x4 to the desk. It works pretty good but do I believe I have reached the limit of my Wally-World computer desk. Sizing/de-capping is the hardest part and it did it ok. I don't think I could turn .30-06 into .308 with this setup, but my .45LC will be fine. Maybe now I will get some more reloading done so I can get some more shooting done. I'm pretty happy with it. :D
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT- RCBS Partner Press

Post by mikld »

Good set-up. If you put a dab of case lube on one out of every 5 or 6 cases, even with carbide dies, sizing/decapping goes a lot easier. I've been using Mink Oil Boot Dressing for my bottle necked cases and it's always around so I just put a little dab on a case once in a while when I'm reloading my .44 Magmuns.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

That Partner press is a good setup. It's what I have for my bench-mounted press and has been flawless since I've had it. I don't know for sure as I don't keep track, but I've probably re-loaded over 7000 rounds with it.
ED
Yer never too old
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Andrew wrote:I don't think I could turn .30-06 into .308 with this setup,
That little press will work just fine for that with a good, slolid, sturdy, mount. RCBS sells a metal mounting block (see my picture) for their products. Mount that plate to a sturdy surface and then the press to the metal block and you're good to go.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

You can mount many different RCBS accessories to the plate as well as other manufactures accessories too.
ED
Yer never too old
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Andrew,

Turn that 2x4 crosswise and get you a couple big C-clamps. Then clamp it to the kitchen table. Won't hurt nothing and you'll have a bit more leverage. Or if the kitchen table is square use the 2x4 as is and C-clamp it on the side. That will give you a lot more stability.

Of course if you're married you might wanna wait till SWMBO is out of the house.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

I used a Partner press with similar setup for 20 years.

You made a good purchase. not much you can't do with a Partner Press.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!