Reloading and range report

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Reloading and range report

Post by FLINT »

ok, so I've finally gotten my reloading bench set up and in action. I'm not satisfied with my 30-30 reloads though, first I didn't use the case trimmer right on the first batch so I didn't get them all to exactly the same length, and they are also right at the max length. then the next batch i used the trimmer right, but for some reason they still didnt end up the exact same length although they were all definitely short enough that i didnt feel like they were too long, but then i couldnt get the factory crimp die to work. i couldn't figure it out. anyways, I think I'm going to stick with my remaining factory silvertips for this hunting season with the marlin 30-30, and so thats what I sighted in with at the range this weekend.

however, I did load up a batch of 41 mag ammo with new brass and rem. jsp 210 grainers for my new blackhawk.

I sighted in with those puppies at the range and was doing pretty well at 50 yards and was even staying mostly on my big piece of paper at 100 yards. Those things are stout though - I forgot to bring my chrony, but I'd like to run them through it. Now, the cases were not split or cracked or look funny at all and some would shake right out of the cylinder after being fired and other just needed a little push with the ejector rod - none felt anything like being stuck at all. however, they all seemed to have slightly flattened primers. they weren't flattened to the point that they were way bigger in diameter or anything, but they weren't rounded like new ones. does this sound ok, or do you think they are too hot. I could probably post pictures tomorrow if you think thats necessary.

Thanks!

oh yeah, and I posted last week about grips for this blackhawk - well, I'm perfectly happy with these factory ones, although I did start to notice the sharp edges after a few shots in a row, I might just steel wool the edges down a little and then I think I'll be good to go - or really, I'll probably be wearing gloves most days hunting anyways, so no biggie.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Reloading and range report

Post by mikld »

I have found the easiest wasy to trim cases is with the Lee Case Trimmer. Idiot proof; no adjustments, easy to use and fast if you use a drill/power screw driver for large amounts of brass, and they all come out the same size...

P.S. Cheap too
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

yeah, i was using the lee case trimmer. the first time I just thought i was supposed to give it a couple good twists and didn't realize that it would stop trimming at the correct length. the second time, I did put the trimmer in the drill I thought I did it right, but maybe some of the primer pockets were gunky or something as they didn't turn out the same length every time. I guess I'll try try again.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Somewhat flattened primers, even part of the radius between the primer and the pocket filled in with extruded primer metal is within reason. If you ever see the entire radius filled in, so you can't easily catch a fingernail in the seam between the primer metal and the cup, or see metal raise up like a volcano crater's lip around the firing pin dimple, you need to pull the rest of em and back off the recipe.
Certified gun nut
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

ok, cool, I think they are fine then :)