Hit a deer.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Hit a deer.

Post by Old Savage »

You are on the phone with a friend and a deer runs out in front of her at about 40 mph. She is alone, it is dark, 56 year old female. She sees it behind her flopping in the road. She is unarmed. What do you tell her to do. It is a buck with a rack.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Hit a deer.

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

Tell her to dial 911 after you verify she's not hurt. Then tell her to stay in the car, put the flashers on. Then I would call the local Police and D.N.R. for that area to make sure they have the info. Call her back after these things and talk to her , keeping her somewhat calm until authorities show up. Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

Keep on rolling. Last time I hit a deer there wasn't much left of it by the time my trailer wheels passed it's carcass. The truck behind me pulverized what I didn't. I had to get a new bumper but other than that no major damage to my truck. :lol:
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Tell her to stay off the dang cell phone. It's against the law in CA to use a hand-held one while driving. Don't call 911 or else they'll give her a ticket.

If this is a true scenario, hope she's ok.
ED
Yer never too old
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Not in Ca Modoc.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I'd ask her if she was up for rolling up on it to finish it. If not, keep driving and hope I was the next vehicle to come up behind her.

I'd go back and finish it quickly, but I'd worry she'd get mauled.

I'd also prolly take as much deer as I could with me. Depends on traffic.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

The other night as I drove across Michigan on I94 brake lights on a car about a mile ahead of me lit up. Other cars behind it braked too. I slowed down knowing what likely was happening. A very nice Lexus suv that had passed me a few minutes before hit a deer. The beast had gotten wedged up under the front axle components and dragged for about a hundred yards. With as much steam coming from the Lexus I'm sure a major bone must have pulled loose enough to puncture the lower part of the car's radiator. Good thing about Michigan is they employ a lot of state troopers so I'm sure one showed up soon after to assist the driver of the Lexus.
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

In my county, this is a scenario played out 2 or three times every night. The drill here is to call 911. Responding officers, be they Highway Patrol, county deputies, or city police will put the animal out of its misery, take a report you can file with your insurance company, and be sure you get home safe and your car is towed to the location you specify. All in a routine night's work.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

How big a rack? Worth mounting? :wink:
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

around here, they would prefer if you call the cops and wait while the animal struggles. They will take care of it when they arrive and will assist you with your damage to the car. If it was me, AND my truck was ok, I would put it out of its misery (depending on where it was) or call the cops if in a very populated location. Depending on damage, I would either keep it or leave it.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

A lot of variables come into play here.Is the car still driveable? Is she in familar territory say where there is a public store etc.down the road a ways?( while driving slow in case car starts having a problem?

OK,my take on it--If its somewhere that she can still operate the car to a reasonable distance to a store etc. and then wants to call and report it fine.
If it is some place out in the boonies say a narrow two lane road with a bad shoulder in the night time(or any time for that matter)dont want a women I care about sitting out there unarmed.Leave the deer. If its on a four Lane highway,the car acts like its screwed up too much to drive--pull way over roll up windows/lock doors/put on flashers/dial 911
Again, this is based on a unarmed women we are talking about.Not one of us men!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well, as it happened she was more scared than anything. The deer got up and ran off and while there was fur in the grill the jeep was unharmed - must have been very glancing. It was a rural two lane road. I wouldn't have wanted her out there or close to it for her safety. But I hadn't thought about this before. Thanks for the answers.

Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

A bit off-topic, but the amount of physical damage a deer can survive is nothing short of amazing. Many years back a friend and I hunted his large tract of woodland adjacent to I-77, which had opened a bit over a year earlier. It was not an either-sex day, but late in the afternoon an odd doe came by my stand. She seemed well-fed, but obviously had major problems, her body being distincly hunch-backed and two of her legs deformed. I watched her for a few minutes and decided on a humane kill. One shot and she was down and out in an instant. When opened up and skinned out, it was obvious that nearly every major bone in her body had been broken at some time. All had healed, but with many bad joints and odd growths at the fracture sites. It seemed clear that she had experienced a hit by a truck or something at some time, yet here she was -- scarred and twisted, but still making it, and doing well by all appearances.

A few weeks later on the same property, my friend shot a nice 8-pointer. When we field-dressed it, we found an odd, football-shaped, cartilaginous growth in the chest cavity. Cutting it open revealed a jagged stick roughly 10 inches long and an inch in diameter, shattered and jagged on the upper end and snapped off at the lower. Clearly, this buck at some time had leaped and landed on a broken-off, sharp branch which had then broken off and been imbedded in his body. Why it didn't kill him outright, and how he lived through it, God only knows. From all outward signs, this was a strapping, fat, healthy animal in its prime.

And a third incident, three years later -- I shot a big old doe and found in her loin a broadhead and about 2" of an arrow shaft, again enclosed in cartilage. Amazing.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Seems like around here they've arrested people for finishing off a hurt game animal...not sure what the charge was, but I'd prolly try to slip a .22 in the poor thing's skull if I didn't think I'd get caught (and could drive right away)(police your brass :wink: ).
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

B & C does have a category for road kill you know.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

You hit a deer around here, and kill it and DOW will fine you $250 for killing one of "their" deer. Let one destroy your garden/new trees and you are SOL unless you have a commerical operation.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

It is funny how areas differ in dealing with critters that forget to look both ways.

I visited my son in Montana and found out that picking up ANY part of a road kill is forbidden. Too bad. I know that the rule get ignored at times though :wink:

I got called late last night by the Troopers. They sent me out to clean up a three or four year old cow moose. Kept me busy till the wee hours getting that ol girl into the back of the truck. I forgot the Wyoming saw and had to spend extra time with the brisket/ribs/backbone/neck to get it disjointed and manageable. They sure make a mess of the vehicle though. No driving off after hitting one (even in a big rig without a moose gooser on it). Sure makes a nice pile o meat for needy friends though!

It sure seems a waste for the places that do not allow folks to take advantage of free meat.

My best, glad your friend is OK. Even a deer can kill ya if it gets through the windshield.

Scotty
Porquipines are peacefull creatures but God still saw fit to give them quills
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

crs wrote:How big a rack? Worth mounting? :wink:
Hey, that's my sister he's talking about driving that car... :evil: :lol:

Seriously, I'd advise her to get in a safe place, make the calls mentioned above, and if needed use her flashers or headlights to shine on the deer or otherwise alert coming motorists.

I'd not advise an unarmed woman to leave her vehicle, even if Bambi were suffering.

If it was a vehicle of farm-truck-type (those aren't typically driven by unarmed women), I might advise her to finish it off with the vehicle if it truly seemed in agony, but probably not - that would be hard to do definitively.

Finally, I'd advise her NOT to go about 'unarmed' in the future....!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well, deer probably more ran into the jeep that the other way around. Fur or hairs under the plastic side door protector and no damage. My guess is the deer was stunned a bit and ran off. She went back and shined the headlights around the adjoining field and found nothing.

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

O.S.--- The only one I would trust picking up my stranded little wife at night alone, is you! :mrgreen: :lol:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I'm touched! :)

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

madman4570 wrote:O.S.--- The only one I would trust picking up my stranded little wife at night alone, is you! :mrgreen: :lol:

DON'T DO IT!
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well now Chi, the band chick seemed to feel reasonably safe at the wedding last weekend.

Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

crs wrote:How big a rack? Worth mounting? :wink:
Is that question referring to the driver or the deer. :lol:
ED
Yer never too old