OT- I picked up old photo of a Texas Ranger, 1922

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

OT- I picked up old photo of a Texas Ranger, 1922

Post by rangerider7 »

This is a real photo postcard of H.C. "Grey" Greathouse Texas State Ranger. It was taken in Mexia, Texas in 1922. Governor Pat Neff had sent Captain Roy Nichols of Co. C Texas Rangers and his men to clean up Mexia's gambling and bootlegging. A photographer named Collins set up a camera and started taking photos of Texas Rangers that were in town. They are much harder to find than they were 20 years ago. I stumbled on to this one and was lucky enough to find out quite a bit about him after I bought it. He is in two of the most published photos of the Texas Rangers. Also I found his papers in the state archives. The top photo is the RPPC of him that I got. The second is him, third from the left second row (18), in group photo with Governor Neff in 1922. Numbers 4,5,6 are Capt. Nichols, Capt. Hickman, and Capt Hamer. The third photo is a large group of Rangers in Denison, Texas in 1922. He is sitting on one knee in front of Captain Nichols tenth from the left. The last photo is a copy of his Warrant of Authority and Descriptive List. The only original is the first. I fun to find the information about a photo you get because so many times there is no way to trace it. I just thought y'all might want to see it.

Last edited by rangerider7 on Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That'll Be The Day"
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Re: )T- I picked up old photo of a Texas Ranger, 1922

Post by RKrodle »

Great photo. Did you notice the lace up boots, instead of pull on boots or shoes. A dapper dresser for sure, those gloves aren't for fencing.
Ricky

DWWC
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: )T- I picked up old photo of a Texas Ranger, 1922

Post by kimwcook »

To be able to find some provenance of a photo is icing on the cake. Thanks, RR7
Old Law Dawg
Ysabel Kid

Re: OT- I picked up old photo of a Texas Ranger, 1922

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Looking rather daper!
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Really cool!!
Nate C.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nate C. »

You might enjoy this website: http://rimrockpress.com/blog/ . There are some neat old Ranger photos from West Texas scattered around in there.

We used to have a family reunion up your way every year.
Texas State Rifle Association http://www.tsra.com

Freemason. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Nate C. thanks for the site. It looks like I will be busy reading for a while. :D
"That'll Be The Day"
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Great stuff Gentlemen...thanks!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

It must have been cold in Mexia that day because in everyone of those Ranger's photos they were wearing big coats. I saw a large frame of them at an auction in Waco years ago and all were wearing coats.
"That'll Be The Day"
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

Thanks for the pix and the link.
Nate C.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nate C. »

On a similar note, and you may already know about it:

Mike Cox is/was the DPS spokesman for years. He has written a number of books chronicling (is that how you spell that?) Ranger stories from the old days to present. He has a new book called Historic Photos of Texas Lawmen, or something similar. I haven't seen the book yet, but I have always been impressed with his other books. The new book is listed on amazon.com
Texas State Rifle Association http://www.tsra.com

Freemason. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I have read a couple of reviews on new books on the history of the Texas rangers. One was Cox the other Utley. Both seem to to be very knowledgeable. I will have to get both.
"That'll Be The Day"
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dave James »

Great photo. Wonder what that ole boy had on that big old double buckle :?:

Range, your collection started me into looking for some from my family, and saddly it appears most have been lost or destroyed.

Have both of Ultey's books and they are outstanding work,, every time I go to the "Ranger" site I find another book to pick up and read
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

"I'm Frank Hamer" by Frost is a great book to read. The first edition is expensive but you can get it in reprint.
"That'll Be The Day"
Kevin Keith
Levergunner

Post by Kevin Keith »

rangerider7 wrote:"I'm Frank Hamer" by Frost is a great book to read. The first edition is expensive but you can get it in reprint.
It is a good 'un and so in Joaquin Jackson's One Ranger. I met Ranger Jackson when I was a youngster stationed in Fort Stockton. I've been in the DFW area for the past 24 years and long to get back out to West Texas. The little woman is digging in her heels (born and raised in FW) but I'm a-wearin' her down!

I have proudly served in the Texas Highway Patrol for 25 years (B class-84)and will be retiring in six months. There is a statutory commission of Special Texas Ranger for honorably reitred DPS commissioned officers...I am looking forward to joining their ranks. Look out "Walker", here I come!

If ya want, I'll send you a picture! :wink:
Treat everyone like they're important.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Welcome to the forum. Why don't you post that picture right here, Kevin. I'm sure lots of us would love to see it.
Old Law Dawg
Kevin Keith
Levergunner

Post by Kevin Keith »

kimwcook wrote:Welcome to the forum. Why don't you post that picture right here, Kevin. I'm sure lots of us would love to see it.

Kim, thanks for the welcome. I was just joshin' about a picture of me! Maybe after my badge is made up in a few months I can post that. It's a cinco peso with the star cut out. Needs to be sent to the engraver and curvature and pin added. I can guarantee you don't wanta see my mugg!

Well, OK, ya twisted my arm. Here's me and my son, Jake, last summer. Generation gap illustrated. :wink:

I'm happy to be here.
Last edited by Kevin Keith on Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
flb
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flb »

Love those old photos, keep em comin! Was almost a Border Patrol agent, still have my orders to Del Rio but on same day I was offered a really fine career move here in Colo. Always wondered what if? Met Bill Jordan and he sure inspired me and the Rangers have always seemed so special too. Good stories.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

That is a great photo, RR7. Unlike many depictions in western flicks, plenty old time cowpokes did not wear pull on boots, but instead favored high lace ups. The tradition is still carried out by Nevada buckaroos to this day. I worked most of my days in packers with riding heel. Great arch support for walking, horseback, and pole climbing. On the pull on side, Tony Llama used to make a superb work boot, the number 4011. Too bad that Justin took over the name and the product went downhill.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Kevin Keith
Levergunner

Post by Kevin Keith »

Mike D. wrote:That is a great photo, RR7. Unlike many depictions in western flicks, plenty old time cowpokes did not wear pull on boots, but instead favored high lace ups. The tradition is still carried out by Nevada buckaroos to this day. I worked most of my days in packers with riding heel. Great arch support for walking, horseback, and pole climbing. On the pull on side, Tony Llama used to make a superb work boot, the number 4011. Too bad that Justin took over the name and the product went downhill.
I don't wear lace up on horseback. They don't pull off easy and the thought of not being able to pull my foot out when ya need to don't appeal to me! :o