OT: Legal question on shipping a shotgun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

OT: Legal question on shipping a shotgun

Post by pharmseller »

I got a guy in New York (Bob) who wants to buy a shotgun from me (I'm in Oregon). He says that his buddy, who used to have an FFL, told him that I can ship the shotgun directly to Bob without an FFL as long as I take the shotgun apart and ship the two pieces separately. Bob doesn't know if this is accurate.
I don't agree with his buddy, but my experience is limited to rifles.
Is there a different rule for shotguns? Can I do what Bob's buddy says, legally?

Pharmseller
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Legal question on shipping a shotgun

Post by awp101 »

Not a chance unless it's an antique and NYS follows Fed law regarding antiques.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I don't know :!: But you can order barrels and stocks and stuff from a parts store and not have to FFL them, can't you?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I don't think there is any difference regarding shotguns and rifles. I'd say that's a no go.
NRA Life Member
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

BlaineG wrote:I don't know :!: But you can order barrels and stocks and stuff from a parts store and not have to FFL them, can't you?
Yes, but not an item with a receiver.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

awp101 wrote:
BlaineG wrote:I don't know :!: But you can order barrels and stocks and stuff from a parts store and not have to FFL them, can't you?
Yes, but not an item with a receiver.
Ok, thanks! :oops:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

You can ship it if it was manufactured prior to 1899. Otherwise, you need to send it to an FFL but it can be from you directly to the FFL.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

The receiver issue is the key.
Just what I thought.
Many thanks for the responses.

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

pharmseller wrote:I got a guy in New York (Bob) who wants to buy a shotgun from me (I'm in Oregon). He says that his buddy, who used to have an FFL, told him that I can ship the shotgun directly to Bob without an FFL as long as I take the shotgun apart and ship the two pieces separately. Bob doesn't know if this is accurate.
I don't agree with his buddy, but my experience is limited to rifles.
Is there a different rule for shotguns? Can I do what Bob's buddy says, legally?

Pharmseller
Looking at the answers I thought I'd misread. You can ship direct to his FFL. You can ship everything BUT the receiver to Bob. The receiver must go through an FFL to Bob (and that's an FFL in NY).
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Keep in mind, now days a lot of FFL holders won't accept a gun from anyone but another FFL holder. Their argument (and a fair one) is, they don't know if it's a stolen gun. And, at least, the shipping dealer may know more and he is traceble if it is later determined to be illegal.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Gun Smith wrote:Keep in mind, now days a lot of FFL holders won't accept a gun from anyone but another FFL holder. Their argument (and a fair one) is, they don't know if it's a stolen gun. And, at least, the shipping dealer may know more and he is traceble if it is later determined to be illegal.
The guy I work for is like that. he knows the law, he just chooses to do it this way.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

It's a shame that the world we live in is fear driven. In order to protect your own a**, trust in your fellow man must take a back seat and the letter of the law has to be followed the the "nth degree". Gone are the days of a handshake and your word sealing a deal. :(
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

When I ship (usually USPS Priority Mail) a long gun to an FFL who DOES accept shipments from non-FFL's, I ALWAYS include a photocopy of my driver's license (as a "packing list") both for his record keeping and his confidence in who he's dealing with.