Got my new Hunting Rifle - she's a beauty !

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jacko
Levergunner 2.0

Got my new Hunting Rifle - she's a beauty !

Post by Jacko »

Well folks a few months back I announced to all that would listen I was in the market for a Ruger No 1 in 45.70 and would be saving until Christmas time . Come into a bit of cash sooner than I thought so it burned a hole in my pocket .

I was very sorely tempted by a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun , talk about a sweet handling little carbine however I passed up a beautifull No 1 and the Guide Gun after sitting down and crunching some numbers . If I buy a Rifle I want to shoot the thing other than a few warm up shots the week before one of the rare hunts I do get out on and a 45.70 coupled with the rising cost of reloading components was just too expensive to shoot regularly .

I looked long and hard at a Ruger Number 1 in 460 S & W mag and 475 Linebaugh as well but the cases etc cost as much as or more than the 45.70 . I have no interest in high velocity loudenboomers or .308 , .338 etc so I opted for a Mini Guide Gun of sort's "a Marlin 1894 .44 magnum" . I will keep on dreaming of a Ruger No 1 big bore for when the kids are grown , another 5 years and the horizon should open up . The 1894 wont hold value like a Ruger No 1 thats for sure . I'm a working class fella so it seems are my rifles .

I've picked up 200 new Remington cases , a set of near new .44 mag dies for 1/2 full retail price , 1000 240 gr Westcast projectiles and a box of Hornady 265 gr JSP , 60 rounds of Winchester Super X 240 gr JHP and 6000 CCI magnum primers so I'm good to go for a couple of years I reckon and for about 1/2 the total cost of a similar quanity of 45.70 reloading components .

Another advantage of the .44 magnum for me is that I can use the same powder as for my .357 mag Rossi . At the moment I have some development loads using W296 waiting for a trip to the range latter this week . A tip off from a firearm sales rep aquantence as well as the same tip off from a wholesaler that imported reloading components prices are set to soar come Christmas due to the panic buying in the USA just now and other factors causing supply problems for Australia . I will buy Australian made ADI AR2205 next pay which I'm hoping as a local product should be readily available if the tip offs prove correct . I have some ADI AP70N which should make for some great plinking loads .

Im very happy with the 1894 , nice deep blueing , reasonable stock and forend timber that don't quite match but hey it don't bother me none , pretty short about 38" long , 6 1/2 pounds which will be lively under recoil with full power loads but I'll only notice that on the bench . I have fitted a Williams FP336 peep sight using the front scope mount holes so I don't need to use the hammer spur so I'm good to go . Hoping for a pig hunt in November , can't wait to thump a few porkers with the .44 - stay posted

regards Jacko
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Re: Got my new Hunting Rifle - she's a beauty !

Post by gundownunder »

Sounds like your good to go for all but buffalo.
I was also looking at possibly getting a 45-70 but since I will probably never hunt buffs and would always need to load it down to manageable recoil levels anyway, I will probably go for a 45 colt instead.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Congrats! Looking forward to range reports.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Nice one, you will enjoy it, I would not part with mine :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

Hi Jacko,

You will enjoy the 44mag, they are fun to shoot and easy to load down to plinking velocity.

My question to you though is - where is the Ruger 45-70 you were looking at bacause I want one badly?

I am looking at buying another 45-70 and I would like to get a Ruger No1.

Thanks,

Pop.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

My little '94 Trapper chambered in .44 Mag has given my 13 Whitetails, one Black Bear, and a nice Bull Elk 'cross the Clark Fork up in the Bitter Roots. That little bugger does a fine job....enjoy!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Good smart choice :D You get to shoot a whole lot more all the while saving money. Cast bullets and small powder charges lead to lots of fun. :D As we all know, the 44 mag. is a well balanced potent round that will easily handle most all game at reasonable ranges.
You got yourself a nice fast repeating rifle that will last you your lifetime and a few more :D
Happy shooting!----------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Thats one dandy gun there. From a very pleasant shooter, to one very powerful gun with the right loads.Cant think of a nicer carry gun. Anyone would be proud to own it! Great choice! :mrgreen:
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Great gun, wouldn’t give mine up with out a fight.
Working on a new finish for mine will let you know when I am done.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

I get to thinking about a 45-70 SBL. I really like the way they are set up. I have a 1894SS and I am set up to reload that along with a couple of 44 revolvers. I installed a sling, some Skinner sights, and alot of shooting. I also think of that as my Mini Guide Gun. I'm sure it will never get a shorter barrel, and I don't have a very big paw so I don't need a big loop. It's alot cheaper to shoot than my buddies Guide Gun.
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

Sounds like good sound reasoning to me, my Marlin .44mag was my first centerfire levergun, for much as the same reasons as you. I love it, it has done everything I've asked of her.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Unless you live in Africa or want to go after Grizzlies, there's not much you can't hunt with that gun.

Handgun-compatible, too...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

Oh boy your gonna hate this :shock: You can't go wrong with your Marlin either :D http://singleactions.proboards.com/inde ... hread=1891