OT - Corn Feeders and Electric Fencers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

OT - Corn Feeders and Electric Fencers

Post by cnjarvis »

I'm putting a feeder up in a wooded area of a pasture and will therefore have to use an electric fencer to keep the cattle away from it yet allow access by deer, hogs and turkey. I'm planning on putting the wire at 30"-36" above grade. Anyone care to chime in on how well they think this will work? Will I need to flag it so that the cattle/deer can see it?
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT - Corn Feeders and Electric Fencers

Post by RKrodle »

I would put some flags on the wire. After the fence has been on for a while, and the cows have learned to respect it, you can probably turn it off and the cows will still stay out. At least for a while. Good luck and let us know how it works out.
Ricky

DWWC
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Just make sure you remove any tall grass in the area that might ground out the electrical wire if they were to come into contact.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

When I was a kid (see avatar) we went to the family farm in WI.

Went thru the wire fence and played in the fields. Want to guess
whether the fence was live or not on my way back to the house?

Yup, they had to run over to the barn and throw the switch so's
I'd stop yellin.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

My grandpa always tied flags to new hot wire when fencing temporary pasture, said the cows had to learn where it was, and what it did. After a time you could see where they wouldn't get any closer than a couple of feet to the flagged wire. Also, if you allow coon hunters access to your property at night to run hounds, might save them from stumbling into it, as coons will be attracted to your corn feeder too.
UNITE