Lever gun bullet for hunting

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
black tail
Levergunner

Lever gun bullet for hunting

Post by black tail »

Currently I use the laser cat 200gr RNFP for plinking, thinking of using the 240 SWC or the 240 RNFP.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Re: Lever gun bullet for hunting

Post by Lefty Dude »

In my 92/44's the 240 gr. laser-cast bullet sized .431" is the most accurate bullet I load. After evaluating the 200 gr. & 240's, all 240's come up the winner lead or jacketed. For the jacketed 240's I use the Nosler 240 gr. JHP.

I use the same loads in my 73 Ruger SBH 7 1/2".

I only use 200 gr's for plinking & practice.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

25 Gr W296 or H110 under a Keith 250 swc gas check boolit. 1800 fps of whoop-butt. You can go with the Hornady 240 XTP. (Edited to change load to 25 grains).

Or if you want something more fun, 21 grains of H110/W296 under a Lee 310 gr. WFN gc boolit for 1500 fps. Whomp! This actually recoils less than the above 250 grain load... Here again, the 300 XTP can be used - and yes, your Marlin 94 (if that's what you're shooting) will stabalize this bullet/load.

If you want to stay with the Laser Cast 240 gr swc boolits, then I'd just load em to around 1400 fps from the carbine and be good to go. They should be fine at that velocity but not much faster without a gc.
Last edited by O.S.O.K. on Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
black tail
Levergunner

Post by black tail »

240 XTP did not shoot real well out of my Rossi but laser cat 20's do. The 240 SWC should feed good right?
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I want to revise that above load for the 240 XTP - I got that from handloads.com - my Hornady manual lists 25 grains of H110 under their 240 XTP as maximum and they show 1900 fps for that.

The Laser Cast 240 SWC should feed fine as the ocl is short enough and the "shoulder" isn't that wide. Some do experience a little hitch when chambering if the boolit catches on the top of the chamber mouth. I had this happen with the heavy 310 wfn and solved the issue by very slightly radiusing the top edge of the chamber mouth - just a tad to take the sharp edge off and that solved the issue. I really don't think you'll have that with your Rossi though.

I would suggest loading a dummy round and cycling it through to check just to be sure.

Here's some loading data for you: http://www.handloads.org/loaddata/defau ... er&Source=

Note: these are handgun loads - add 20% to the velocities shown to approximate your carbine's velocity.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Just to clarify, which cartridge are we talking about? I'd hate to give you .44 mag data for something smaller.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
black tail
Levergunner

Post by black tail »

Yes it is a 44 mag. Stopped by a buddy and he gave me 12 240 RNFP I'm going to stuff them over 24g H110 and CCI mag primers and see what I can get out of them.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

....and now that I know this, I can't think of what I was gonna tell you!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
black tail
Levergunner

Post by black tail »

Travis Morgan wrote:....and now that I know this, I can't think of what I was gonna tell you!
I have the same problem most of the time :lol: :lol:
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

black tail wrote:Yes it is a 44 mag. Stopped by a buddy and he gave me 12 240 RNFP I'm going to stuff them over 24g H110 and CCI mag primers and see what I can get out of them.

I hope they are sized .431", If .429" be prepared for some throat & leade leading with that full load. Gas cutting on the base of the bullet will cause some lead erosion and deposit it in the forward chamber of the bore. This happens real fast, with not to many rounds fired. Gas checks solve this problem.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
black tail
Levergunner

Post by black tail »

black tail wrote:Yes it is a 44 mag. Stopped by a buddy and he gave me 12 240 RNFP I'm going to stuff them over 24g H110 and CCI mag primers and see what I can get out of them.
Well this load did not work worth a stuff! back to the drawing board :evil: :evil:
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

H-110 is not a good choice for lead bullets. 2400 is much better for what you're doing. It leaves a lot of unburned powder, though.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Lil' Gun and 4227 would be good choices, as well. I've not loaded them personally, but a good friend of mine who does even more shooting and testing than I do is really liking Lil' gun. It DOES throw out some flame, though!
I've heard good things about 4227 from people who I know personally, whose opinions I respect.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

black tail
Levergunner

Post by black tail »

Thanks I'll give that a try