Mr. No-Shoulders

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
redlevel42
Levergunner 2.0

Mr. No-Shoulders

Post by redlevel42 »

I caught this one headed right toward my back porch this afternoon. I killed this one's twin almost exactly a year ago, literally stretched out across the bottom step, and this one appeared headed to the same spot. Also, the dog kennel is only a few yards from where I killed him.

The revolver is a S&W Model 36-1 with a three inch barrel. CCI .38 Special snake shot from about 10-12 feet. The flap holster is custom made by a member of another forum. I have been carrying this pistol in the flap holster on the farm as sort of a kit gun. I keep it loaded with my swc reloads, with one chamber always loaded with snake shot this time of year.

Georgia On My Mind
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Re: Mr. No-Shoulders

Post by dr walker »

That is one fat snake. Nice looking revolver and holster.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Dang! I knew we have rattlers down here, but that's too close for comfort!!! :shock:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

By the way, he'd make a nice hat band!!! :D
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

love that holster!. my model 60 would look good in that. could you send me the info on the maker?
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Beautiful snake.! That one's big enough to eat.!
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Rattlers belong out in the wilds eating mice and such, not on your porch. Watch where you step.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

deerwhacker444 wrote:Beautiful snake.! That one's big enough to eat.!
There is no such thing as a "beautiful snake"!!!

Red Level,

When I was a kid there was a snake killed within 200 yards either side of Big Mama's house on the first Sunday in September for about five or six years in a row.

I know it was the first Sunday because the snake was always killed by the same man, an elderly black minister from a church a mile or two up the road. After leaving his Church's Homecoming Dinner he'd be heading home and stop to borrow Big Daddy's shotgun to kill a snake. it almost seemed like the snakes alternated sides of the house. One year it would be to the West and the next it would be to the East. After the 3r year, Big Mama just leaned the shotgun inside the front door and put a couple of shells in he apron pocket. She was expecting the preacher to come for the gun.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Ysabel Kid wrote:By the way, he'd make a nice hat band!!! :D
I was thinking dinner.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

What kind of rattler is that? I have not seen a pattern like that in Texas.
"That'll Be The Day"
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

deerwhacker444 wrote:Beautiful snake.! That one's big enough to eat.!
You've got to be kidding. They "don't" taste like chicken. They taste like snake, and the one I tried was terrible. Now "if" I were starving, that's one thing, but if I had a choice, forget it.

By the way, nice looking Smith, love the grip adapter.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

You sdhould have a belt made up from him or maybe another holster for your snake gun!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Yer right, they taste more like frog legs.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

I'm kind of glad we don't have snakes like that around here.

We just had a revolver just like that, a 36-1, minus the grip adapter, turned in this week by the family of an elderly man with Alzheimers. I tried to explain to them what it was worth but apparently the rest of his family were seroiusly anti-gun and just wanted rid of it.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well now that is a nice one.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Okay, I looked it up myself. It's a Timber Rattlesnake.
"That'll Be The Day"
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dave James »

range you beat me to it I was going to guess either a Timber or Cane break,
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Nice pics :D Nice "Smith :D Nasty (and big) snake :o ----------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
phc45-70
Levergunner 1.0

Post by phc45-70 »

I found that if you intend to cook a snake it helps to catch it and freeze it alive before you kill it. The reason being, when you injure or frighten a snake they produce something that smells terrible and what ever that is it seems to make the meat taste a bit like the smell. So, catch it and put it in a sack and put it in a freezer for a while the pull it out and cut its head off. Don't wait to long to cut the head of as it may very well thaw out and come to.
redlevel42
Levergunner 2.0

Post by redlevel42 »

phc45-70 wrote:I found that if you intend to cook a snake it helps to catch it and freeze it alive before you kill it. The reason being, when you injure or frighten a snake they produce something that smells terrible and what ever that is it seems to make the meat taste a bit like the smell. So, catch it and put it in a sack and put it in a freezer for a while the pull it out and cut its head off. Don't wait to long to cut the head of as it may very well thaw out and come to.

Sounds like an awful lot of trouble to go to to get snakebit. :lol:

I have eaten some unusual things (ever tried "rooster fries"), and I would try rattlesnake if someone else prepared it. I am not going to a whole lot of trouble to do it, though.

The only time anyone cooked any rattlesnake when I was around was years ago at deer camp. They killed a rattler coming out of a field around 3:00 in the afternoon on a hot, Georgia November day. At suppertime, after a few beers, a few of the guys thought it would be a good idea to cook some snake. It had "cured" all afternoon in the sun, but they didn't let that deter them. They grilled some up. I declined.
Georgia On My Mind
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

redlevel42 wrote: I would try rattlesnake if someone else prepared it. ed.

if you want to try eating rattlesnake, you ought to make plans to atend the 50th Annual Rattlesnake Rodeo in Opp, AL. In addition to food, music, arts & crafts, and fried rattlesnake there is a Rattlesnake Race down the main street of town.

The Rattlesnake
rodeo has been an anuall event since 1959 and generally takes place in late March or early April. I don't know the exact dates for the 2010 Rodeo, but I'll find out if you are interested.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Image Image
UNITE!
Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

there is a Rattlesnake Race down the main street of town.
Just so they don't go trying to make like at that running of the bulls thing... :lol:

Had timber rattlesnakes around in SW Wisconsin where I grew up. Only time I ever ate any was when one of my Dad's cronies at the local sportsman's club brought one that he'd pickled along to a trapshoot. Seemed somewhat chewy and tasted mostly of vinegar after being pickled in it.
Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Can't beat those snake shot loads!!! I love the way the sneakies just seem to fall asleep when you shoot'em in the head. Tried a CCI snake load in a 44 carbine once,.... took the head off! Very nice stuff!!! Folks in snake country should carry 24/7 in my opinion.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

76/444 wrote:Can't beat those snake shot loads!!! I love the way the sneakies just seem to fall asleep when you shoot'em in the head. Tried a CCI snake load in a 44 carbine once,.... took the head off! Very nice stuff!!! Folks in snake country should carry 24/7 in my opinion.

+1 for CCI Shotshells.

or if you are a real Scot, buy some Speer Shot Capsules in .357" or .429" caliber and roll you own. 1/2 ounce of #8 or #9 shot will put paid to Mr. No-Shoulders toute suite.

Image Image
UNITE!
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

76/444 wrote:Can't beat those snake shot loads!!! I love the way the sneakies just seem to fall asleep when you shoot'em in the head. Tried a CCI snake load in a 44 carbine once,.... took the head off! Very nice stuff!!! Folks in snake country should carry 24/7 in my opinion.

Forgot about the best part,... never have to worry about splattering a couple a hundred grains of lead on an unmovable buried object under the snake, sending bits and pieces back at you!!! I believe its #12 shot in the 44mag snake load I use,... they mostly just flatten and stick to any rocks they hit.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

76/444 wrote:

Forgot about the best part,... never have to worry about splattering a couple a hundred grains of lead on an unmovable buried object under the snake, sending bits and pieces back at you!!! I believe its #12 shot in the 44mag snake load I use,... they mostly just flatten and stick to any rocks they hit.
if it is store-bought CCI Shotshells, i believe it is #9 Shot.

it has ben a long time since i bought ny, but to the best of my recollection the .8/357 and .44 SPL?Remmag shells are loaded with #9 shot and the 9 mmP and .45 ACP shotshells are loaded with #12 shot

Image Image
UNITE!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I carry a bond derringer in .357 with snake shot. very effective. I have replaced the one stolen and it travels with me whenever i'm in the woods. I think its the perfect "helper" in the woods.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot