OT - Lapua Brass

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

OT - Lapua Brass

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Does Lapua brass come pre-sized, trimmed and with the flash hole de-burred? I've heard that it does but wanted to be sure before I spend some extra $ for it. I want to make some accuate .308 Win. loads and I don't want to turn the necks unless I have to. Also, after the first firing, I want to neck size only. If they come from the factory sized, I will not have to buy a full length sizing die.

I've heard that Lapua brass is more consistent than any other brass.

What are your thoughts.?
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Lapua Brass

Post by 86er »

I think their brass is great and in 243 Win, 308 Win and 375 H&H I've loaded factory new brass with no sizing or other brass work and they came out fine.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
win92
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win92 »

Lapua Brass is with out a doubt the best you can purchase right now. The flash holes usally don't have a burr on them But most guys I know will slightly champher them inside anyway.
It is tough brass very uniform and consistant from one piece to another. You shouldn't neck turn unless you have a tight neck (custom) chamber. It lends itself to neck sizing only very well. regards win 92
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

No doubt Lapua is the best.

You do not have to "De-burr the flash hole" on Lapua brass. The reason why is that the flash holes are stamped on most brass, but on Lapua the flash holes are drilled, and are considerably more consistent.

For accurate loads I sort all my brass by weight. You would be suprised how many different piles of Winchester brass I got from 500 pieces. Lapua is considerably more consitent. Nosler is also pretty good, but it is more expensive than Lapua.

As far as sizing out of the box. I resize all brass out of the box except Lapua. For Lapua brass I only run the brass through a Sinclair neck sizing mandrel. This uniforms the neck in case of a slight dent during shipping, and adjusts neck tension.

As far as not FL sizing the brass is concerned. Well that really depends on how many times you shoot the brass, and how hot you shoot the cartridge. The case may need an occasional bump on the shoulder from time to time.

What I like to do is buy the Forster FL sizing die. This is a good die if you use the expander ball, because the height of the expander ball is easily adjusted, and it "floats". Also with this die you can just back it out and only NS your brass, and if you need just a bit of sizing on the shoulder you can screw it down a bit and do slight shoulder sizing. It is really a do-all type die. And I also prefer the Forster seating die with the sleeve(just like Redding only cheaper), this die makes it easy to avoid bullet run out. Tom.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Lapua brass is the best. I only have it in .308 Win. and .6mm Rem.BR Norma but the cases I have bought needed absolutely no prep other than neck turning. My rifles have custom tight neck chambers and wont chamber factory ammo. :D