Virus Alert (Human) + how to protect your levergun.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Virus Alert (Human) + how to protect your levergun.

Post by 86er »

I spent the better part of Saturday fishing with my boys. We can home, washed up and ate, then went to bed. Around 2AM the little guy came into my room and said his stomach hurt. I rubbed his belly until he fell asleep. Suddenly he sat up and puked. Not a little but what I call projectile vomitting. I cleaned him up and put him back to bed while Toni did laundry and changed the bedding. I noticed he had a high fever immediately after vomitting. His older brother was waken by the comotion and he waited patiently for everything to get done. Then he laid down next to me. We talked for a while and he fell asleep. Again without warning, like his brother, he sat up and commenced projectile vomitting. Toni took care of housekeeping again while I cleaned him up and put him back in his bed. He has a very high fever too. Sunday morning both boys said they felt better and neither had a fever, but both complained that their legs hurt, and they were noticabley sluggish. Toni and I wondered if the pond water was bad and they had gotten some in their mouths. Sunday passed without incident. I postponed hog hunting just in case. Monday they were totally back to normal. Today they went to school.

I have a big project that I'm working on and the deadline is Thurs, so naturally I came home early to go on the hog hunt I missed the day before. I grabbed a quick PBJ sandwich, that would prove a mistake later, and I headed out the door to pick up Ricky. We had a successful hunt in that we saw Mother Nature dim the lights on Texas and Ricky has a big boar come in within 50 yds but the wind swirled and he got busted at the last minute. I dropped Ricky off and drove home. On the way I suddenly experienced real bad indigestion. So bad I was more than mildly concerned. When I got to the house I went straight to the bedroom and cleaned up. I propped the levergun near the bed, figuring it could stand guard over the family with me. Around 11:30PM, without warning I sat up quickly in bed and started to puke. I could not contain it and it started coming out my nose. I shoved the rifle out of the way so not to get any vomit on it. Vomit will stain a stock and it is hard to get out of all the crevices. Unfortunately I puked on the wall a bit. Toni, being a hero, cleaned up behind me.

The next thing I noticed was a pain in my face. Investigation revealed a peanut was stuck up my nose. I Knew I should have used the creamy PB. This took 10 minutes or more to dislodge. Next, I noticed I had a fever. It was 103.2. Then out of nowhere I got severe soreness in my hips, lower back and knees. It was so uncomfortable I didn't sleep a wink.

Was this the dreaded H1N1? I dont know but a fitting moniker would be M1A1 - it hits hard, fast and covers a lot of area doing a lot of damage. I called the Dr. about this and this is what he said about the RIFLE:

A virus can live on a flat surface from 12-24 hrs. If your rifle is oily the virus can live on it for 24-48 hrs.

Spray the rifle with Lysol 99.9% virus killer forumula. Leave it for one minute and then spray it again without wiping off the first application. Then after the second minute, gently buff off the lysol. After that, Us alcohol swabs to wipe down the metal. After it evaporates, apply oil as usual and put the gun away.

If you experience any of these symptoms, I suggest keeping a garbage pail by the bed and making sure your levergun is out of the way so you don't puke on it. Then, disinfect it along with whatever else you deem necessary.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Virus Alert (Human) + how to protect your levergun.

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Wow - what a few days you had.

Thanks for regurgitating those events ;) And the sound advice :)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Very useful medical advice...! :? :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Did your doc ever figure out what kind of bug got hold of you?

Sounds like "something to avoid."

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Glad you and your kids are okay. I confess, I did laugh a bit at your descriptions..!
86er wrote:
Vomit will stain a stock and it is hard to get out of all the crevices.
This would probably make another good story as to how you know this.... :wink:

86er wrote: The next thing I noticed was a pain in my face. Investigation revealed a peanut was stuck up my nose. I Knew I should have used the creamy PB. This took 10 minutes or more to dislodge.
This sounds like an episode of Family Guy. I'm sure it wasn't funny while it was happening, but reading it is dang funny.. :wink:
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Sounds like you need to masticate more.

Glad you got it out of your system.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
huntress
Levergunner 1.0

Post by huntress »

Wow! Glad I live 3 hours away! Would not have wanted to see or even hear that. Glad you all are feeling better and thanks for the advice. I must admit, I did laugh at the peanut in the nose. Only you! LOL
Sandy :P
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

This may seem silly but did the boys also eat a PB&J sandwich? I have seen a lot of local trouble like you describe caused by eating peanut butter !!
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
papabear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by papabear »

glad every one is doing better & thanks for the cleaning advice
PARENTS DON'T TAKE PICTURES OF THEIR KIDS PLAYING VIDEO GAMES
====================================================================
For Those Who Understand No Explanation Is Needed
For Those Who Don't None Will Do
====================================================================
Member Of The N.R.A.-North American Hunting club-Syosset Gun Club
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Well, glad to hear everyone's okay. Wouldn't of wanted to anywhere near you for a couple of days. The peanut up the nose was really funny. Didn't your mama teach you to chew your food, not wolf it down? Sorry, couldn't help it. :D
Old Law Dawg
kirkwood
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kirkwood »

Sounds like Norovirus. Doesn't sound like H1N1 at all.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

When I was a kid, I puked on my dads 30-30. Yes it is very rough on booth wood and metal finishes. I was worried about it and kept telling him he needed to get it cleaned off at the time. However, we were about 30 miles off shore deep sea fishing at the time and he said he wasnt about to waste potable water on it nor would he try to clean it with the salt water. He did wipe it off with the rag we wiped our hands with after handling fish or bait. So it sat in the sun the rest of the day as we fished, (I WAS SEA SICK AS ALL GET OUT AND NO THEY WOULDN'T TAKE ME BACK TO SHORE).

It was an old Glenfield Marlin 30A so no real collector value. I did reblue it for him a few years later as well as refinish the stock. I am sure it reduced the value a little, however it shoots dead on and it is the rifle I took my last deer with. Now that my dad has passed away, I am sure that rifle wont be getting sold this generation anyways!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Joe if I wake up puking tonight I'm calling and waking you up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ricky

DWWC
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Wow - what a few days you had.

Thanks for regurgitating those events ;) And the sound advice :)

yuk. +1
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

milton wrote:This may seem silly but did the boys also eat a PB&J sandwich? I have seen a lot of local trouble like you describe caused by eating peanut butter !!
My first thought as well. This sounds a lot like a case of food poisoning. Sorry to hear that it hit all of you Joe - and glad Toni has been spared!!!
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

That's what Marlins are for; barf all over 'em and nobody cares.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Travis Morgan wrote:That's what Marlins are for; barf all over 'em and nobody cares.
Ouch!
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

nobrown01, welcome. But I hope you realize this thread is nearly a year old.
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

Chas. wrote:nobrown01, welcome. But I hope you realize this thread is nearly a year old.
I'm glad this happened awhile ago, because I don't feel like quite such an insensitive burro for laughing out loud at this:
The next thing I noticed was a pain in my face. Investigation revealed a peanut was stuck up my nose.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I'm not sure that I'll ever eat PB and J again. :shock:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

For Pete's sake! Someone lock the darn threa :shock: d!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

hope your feeling better Joe. Glad the kids are better too. thanks for the info.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

glad to here everyone is feeling better....

guess what i had for breakfast....
i am starting to feel a bit quizzy....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS