New from Marlin. 336 & 1894 Deluxe models

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

New from Marlin. 336 & 1894 Deluxe models

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I just got my Sept. 2009 E-news letter from Marlin. They are offering Deluxe models of the 336 and 1894.
Special order, they are sharp in the pictures. Hi grade wood and high polished and deep bluing is listed. :D
Last edited by Chuck 100 yd on Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New from Marlin. 336 & 1894 Deluxe models

Post by CowboyTutt »

Wow, that does sound pretty good! I'm still working on what will be my first shotgun purchase so will pass, but I'm glad you posted that information! Someone ought to jump on those.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Sorry, in my post (not the title)I said 1895 , I changed that to 1894 to correct the BO BO. :oops:
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Does that mean their going to make these select few to the high standard that they used to make all their guns to?
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

That is a good move, in my opinion. I am looking forward to seeing photos when they come available.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

To qoute marlin's website:

"Deluxe Models 336 and 1894 - Available for Special Order at Participating Retailers Until September 20, 2009.

Deluxe Model Firearms come packaged in a decorative case.

Special Opportunity to Own Deluxe Models of two of America's Favorite Lever Action Rifles

These rifles will feature full fancy American Black Walnut stocks and fore-ends, high polish metal parts with deep blue finish and actions hand turned for smoothness by one of Marlin's senior craftsmen.
Each model will have a unique serial number format, 336DL001 and 94DL0001.
Rifles will come packaged in a hard case with a decorative color sleeve.

These rifles will only be available through firearms' dealers that are registered as direct or Custom Shop dealers."

Marlin now has a "CUSTOM SHOP" ? ?

The M336DL:

The M1894DL:

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I am excited that they now know we want something better than the average assembly line gun and many are willing to pay the premium to get it.
I hope this is the start of a new trend in firearm manufacture. Back to quality. :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Pete44ru wrote:"...Available for Special Order at Participating Retailers Until September 20, 2009..
Sure doesn't sound like they're giving a great deal of thought to the longevity of the offer. And is that their standard pressed checkering? Nothing "deluxe" about that in my book. Sorry, but if you're going to pay a premium and get figured wood, but only with pressed checkering, it spells "too cheap to do it right." IMO.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I would also have to admit to a real lack of enthusiasm for their standard press checkering. The wood looks nice, but I'd rather have it finished in a darker stain to bring out the figuring in the wood. Then you wouldn't need that press checkering. Putting press checkering on deluxe wood is like putting a tattoo on a beautiful woman.
Last edited by KirkD on Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

KirkD wrote:Putting press checkering deluxe wood is like putting a tattoo on a beautiful woman.
...you owe me a keyboard for that one... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

KirkD wrote: Putting press checkering deluxe wood is like putting a tattoo on a beautiful woman.
I'm just dirty enough to like a few tats on a beautiful woman myself ----- but i would prefer no checkering to pressed checkering as well
----- Doug
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

All of Marlins checkering has been machine cut for years. With the possible exception of some of the cheep non Walnut marlins sold by the box stores all I have seen and own are cut checkered. Mind you its not hand cut but cut none the less. :D This is the same with all American made major brand (non custom) guns AFAIK ! :?
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

"lipstick on a pig..."
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:All of Marlins checkering has been machine cut for years. With the possible exception of some of the cheep non Walnut marlins sold by the box stores all I have seen and own are cut checkered. Mind you its not hand cut but cut none the less. :D This is the same with all American made major brand (non custom) guns AFAIK ! :?
Glad to hear it. The last two spanking new Marlins I had (1895 and 1894) did not have checkering. Unless the checkering is very well done, and very fine, I'd rather not have it. I really like the Marlins, but a fellow can't buy everything he likes. Once again, I am pleased to see they are offering a deluxe version. If they sell well (and I think they will), then they may produce more (lowering the cost maybe) in future years.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Just my $0.02, but since there doesn't appear to be much of a "window of opportunity", per Marlin's website, to glom onto one of the new Deluxe rifles - there'll be scant few around.
Sooooo, they're sure to be a collector's item ( + $$$ ;) ) very soon.

garyhan
Levergunner

Post by garyhan »

The Deluxe models look pretty good to me, pressed checkering and all: but then I do like tattoos on beautiful women.

gary
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

I see they are still stuck on keeping those fat forearms, along with that checkering--cut or not. I guess I've got all the Marlins I need for now, unless I come across a good buy on an older one with the classic slender lines of yesteryear.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

jlchucker wrote:I see they are still stuck on keeping those fat forearms, along with that checkering--cut or not. I guess I've got all the Marlins I need for now, unless I come across a good buy on an older one with the classic slender lines of yesteryear.
Pretty much my thoughts on the matter. I don't know who Marlin makes leverguns for, but they don't make 'em for me... Not anymore, they don't.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

They never used press checkering on walnut stocked guns. Just the economy birch ones. These have been on their website awhile.
Far as the fat forends, that started in 1936 or so. 70 years counts as yesteryear I think. :wink: But, if you dont like them dont buy them. Different strokes for different folks, thats why I dont own any rifles made by shirt makers. :P
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Marlins seem to be more of an "Eastern" thing, I reckon. Don't know why, and don't really care, but that leaves more WINCHESTERS for the rest of us...
Regards

Buck

leveractionjunkie
Levergunner

Post by leveractionjunkie »

I'd like to see them make them a standard option. Why such a limited window?
With a .45cal entrance wound I don't worry too much about bullet expansion.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Marlins seem to be more of an "Eastern" thing, I reckon. Don't know why, and don't really care, but that leaves more WINCHESTERS for the rest of us...
Hmm, Winchesters are as eastern as Marlins both came from right here in CT, matter of fact so does Colt & most other historical firearms are from the northeast. Biggest difference was marketing, Oliver Winchester was a businessman, John Marlin a gun maker. But whatever, Eastern, Western silly things to worry about IMO.
I'd like to see them make them a standard option. Why such a limited window?
Maybe testing the waters.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I'd sure like to have one of those stock set for my Glenfield 30.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I like it, I'm partial to the ones with the end cap as opposed to double carbine bands.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

"Hmm, Winchesters are as eastern as Marlins both came from right here in CT, matter of fact so does Colt & most other historical firearms are from the northeast. Biggest difference was marketing, Oliver Winchester was a businessman, John Marlin a gun maker. But whatever, Eastern, Western silly things to worry about IMO."

Not worried in the least. Pard...

Oliver Winchester was what we'd now call an industrialist... No need to throw in veiled insults about his being a shirtmaker. Winchester had the foresight to see a market for the firearms inventions of gun-savvy men, and ran with it. Benjamin Tyler Henry was a real firearms genious, making workable firearms in patterns never really tried before. John Browning's inventive mind (another genious...) was a godsend to Winchester's company, when his input was needed most.

As for the East/West thing, my opinion comes from years -- decades -- of closer-than-casual observation, and is expressed as a generality.

No sense gettin' a twist in your long-johns over it...
Regards

Buck

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

What the heck are those carbine bands doing on the front of a Marlin rifle? And how can that 1894 be a deluxe without a PG stock? What's deluxe about a straight grip with better wood?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Maybe this is Remington's idea of deluxe lever guns???? A previous poster asked; "since when did Marlin have a custom shop", I suspect they are using Remingtons' custom shop.

What do those bolt gun dudes know about lever guns anyway?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Putting press checkering on deluxe wood is like putting a tattoo on a beautiful woman.
Where is the tattoo?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Buck Elliott wrote:Marlins seem to be more of an "Eastern" thing, I reckon. Don't know why, and don't really care, but that leaves more WINCHESTERS for the rest of us...
My sentiments, exactly, Buck. Those phugly phat Marlin forearms gotta go!! I haven't used my 1948 336A .35 for that very reason. Soon's a decent old '93 or 1936 forearm shows up I'm slappin' that baby on the 336. At least it will be shootable that way. :P
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The way I see it, if their gonna have a front barrel band, they need to use a rear one too.
If they're gonna have a forearm cap, then use the magazine tube hanger.
The forearm cap with the barrel band just looks wrong.

And don't get me started on that obese forearm wood. YUCK!!!!

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***