Marlin or Winchester

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
shaneroyce
Levergunner

Marlin or Winchester

Post by shaneroyce »

I hope that I don't open up a can of worms (brand wars), but you all don't seem like the type to get too riled up about a question like this. I have 5 children and 1 on the way (long winters up here in Idaho). 4 daughters, 1 son, and another daughter on the way. They all enjoy hunting with me, but who knows which ones will continue for life. My question is this: My oldest is going to turn 12 soon, and will be able to hunt big game in our state. I have many rifles, shotguns, and revolvers, but would like to purchase each of my children a gun of their own when they turn 12. I want it to be something that they will keep and treasure for life, even if they don't hunt, so have decided on a 30-30 lever. I have owned both Marlin and Winchester lever rifles, and prefer the feel of the Winchester and the quality of the Marlin. I am speaking of new rifles. I am going to purchase all 6 rifles now, and was curious which you would all recommend. I can get the Marlin 336 at Walmart for about $350, and the NIB 94 Rangers are running about $400 - $450 on gunbroker.com and are pretty easy to find right now. I am not concerned about cost (as they are both similar), but with which would be the "neater" rifle to give to the kids (I'll buy one for myself too). I am picturing and can't wait for some high country mule deer hunts together with our levers. Please chime in and with why. Please limit it to these two rifles. Thanks in advance.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marlin or Winchester

Post by 86er »

I really appreciate your noble idea but I have always felt it was more inspiring, and carried more personal meaning to allow a child to pick their own rifle. I might limit it to a few choices but ultimately I would let each pick their own. At one point I was given a rifle by my Uncle at least once per year starting when I was around 8 years old. The one I have to this day and means the most to me is the one where he finally asked "What kind of rifle and caliber do you want"? All the others are great but I didn't necessarily like, want or need them and due to that some have come and went and others I've kept but not used much. Something to consider I suppose.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Hi and welcome. You stated you would purchase all of the rifles simultaneously, why not wait and allow the kiddies to choose? The rifle may mean more to them. Just my thoughts. Good Luck, 1886.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Now guys. He's trying to avoid "competition" forming between his kids as to who gets what - I understand completely.

I think it'd be cool for them each to get the same rifle at age 12.

IMHO, the Marlin is the more practical of the two rifles but the Winchester the more stylish if that makes sense.

Also, as time goes by, the Winchesters will be worth more $$$ as they aren't being made any longer.

I'd go with the Winnys.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I'd get the Marlins. You'll be glad.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Well, I agree with 86er and I agree partly with O.S.O.K..
Were I to purchase six rifles at the same time I'd go with the Marlins.

Other wise I'd buy a couple marlins and look real careful for a couple of really nice pre-USRAC top eject Win 94s.

Give them exposure to both types. The AE models with the rebounders and safetys are not quality products in my opinion. I'd avoid them. Also I'd suggest teaching them how to shoot with the iron sights first. Then later when their eyes go they can step up to scopes.

Then when the kids hit the number 12, let them choose what they want.

Just my opinions.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

I would definitely choose any Marlin over a Winchester Ranger.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I would let them pick, either from my stock or at the store. I would ask them to research it, and I would go with them to let them handle them. I don't think you can go wrong with either of your choices. If they didn't enjoy hunting but liked shooting, perhaps a .22lr would even be my first choice. For deer, I could let them use my rifle, or hand down to them one I used. Perhaps they would appreciate, I hope they would. Good luck with your choice and welcome to the fire.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I like the idea of having them 'research' and 'pick' their own, even if just between the two kinds.

I favor the Marlins, because they are simpler to clean and repair, and allow easier use of scope or receiver sights, and NOW, because they are still being manufactured. It would ALSO be easier to spend a hundred bucks and get a bunch of spare parts to cover your Marlin needs (even for various calibers).

I have four kids, and kind of wanted to get them EACH a .22 LR bolt gun (but wound up favoring the 10/22's, and one kid likes the Ruger 96/22 best. Then I decided they'd all get a .357 Marlin rifle and .357 DA revolver before leaving the nest, but my son seems to like the .44 Mag better, and so on. The end result is they won't all have the "same" anything.

Still, it would be cool to have them at least start with .30-30's as their 'core' guns, and they could get others later. You could even have them all engraved as sort of a 'family set'... 8)

If you want them to start really young, consider .357 Mag carbines as their 'first' centerfire rifles, then the .45-70 or .444 or .375 as their 'big' one later. The reason is that those little .357's would make dandy 'home defense' guns even if the kid moves to the city and has an apartment and never hunts, especially paired up with a DA revolver.

So many options, and only four kids... :? :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Let them pick their gun! Tell them its a big decision and really see which one you really like" either will do them good!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Welcome to the forum! I've had both Winchesters and Marlins and like them both. I collect and shoot old Winchesters now, but if I were buying a spanking new rifle in 30-30, I think I would go with the Marlin 336. You can't go wrong with either. As for letting them pick their own rifle and caliber, I'm not so sure that at the age of 12 they will be making a good objective decision if they picked their own. I can see the merit in buying six 30-30's, all the same, and teaching each one how to use it at the age of 12. If I were to give a 12-year old any choice in the matter, I might let them choose between a Marlin or a Winnie, but then you couldn't buy them all at once, either ..... and you never know what things will be like down the road when some of the younger ones turn 12, so it might be best to buy all six right now when you have the money to do it and the intention. They are both good guns, but I might lean toward the Marlin 336 for a modern 30-30.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

I like the idea of the same rifle for all the kids. It's something in common for them all. As far as Marlin or Winchester, that's a hard one. I tend to favor Winchesters for their handling qualities. I don't like the fat wood on the Marlins. But, I like the action on the Marlin better, easier to take down for cleaning. For me it would come down to personal choice and would probably go with the Winchester. Oh, I like the angle eject on the Winchesters because it allows you to mount a scope if it is needed or wanted, not so easy on the old Winchesters.
Ricky

DWWC
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

I'd buy Marlins and slick em up so they are smooth as silk. MUCH easier to do that with a Marlin. IMHO they are tough as nails, AND still made right here in the US of A if that means anything.
Certified gun nut
shaneroyce
Levergunner

Post by shaneroyce »

I appreciate the "let them pick their own" posts. I agree with that, as I have been able to do that myself. I plan on letting those that are still into hunting and shooting "pick their own" at age 16 - maybe a bolt gun with a scope if that is what they would want. This first rifle purchase is to give them something that they will keep whether they hunt the rest of their lives or not. Those that can (1 son and 3 of my daughters so far) love to shoot and do often with me. They also tag along on hunts with me regularly, so they are enjoying it so far. The plan would be to purchase the rifles, give them to each of them when they turn 12, and take them on their first deer hunt with it. If they continue to love it and hunt, then we go from there. If they don't, then I would love for them to have a great memory and a fine rifle as well. I am confident that they will continue to hunt, but you never know what other interests may take their place. So far, they all love it. Keep the replies and advice coming, it is very helpful. I am leaning toward Marlins. I like the looks, feel, and handling of the 94 better, but always seem to have to tighten bolts, screws, etc. after much shooting (these are all newer 94's, I've never owned or shot a pre-64). I am just not as fond of their build quality as I am of the Marlin, but surely someone here knows more than I do. Thanks again for the continued responses.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Half and half and let them trade if they want to. They can pick many of their own rifles but something you picked for them might be special.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Marlin ! :D
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

I'd go Marlin too. Get 'em all the same gun, I think that's a neat idea. I especially liked the idea of getting a little something engraved for them.
The newer Winchesters turned me off and especially the Ranger models. I had quite a few Winchesters pass through my hands reloading and scope mounting for other people as well as my own. Mostly horrible triggers on those things. Marlins have been a little better that way and are easy to work on or do trigger upgrades. Scopes mount easily on both and are not a bad way to go when you get the evolution bullets in them.
Kids shoot 30-30's well too. Sometimes bigger guns are hard on them.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Marlins as they will most likely continue production and parts will remain plentiful.

Have them all professionally engraved with a message from you to help the guns remain in the family for generations.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I am not answering your question at all given your options but if I were to get both of my boys the same rifle I would get them the Henry 30-30. They have the option of an engraved sideplate. Then they can match the rifle with a .22 and a pistol cartridge carbine too.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there shaneroyce - I'm gonna stay sitting on the fence with regards to the Marlin or Winchester choices. I would suggest getting a laser etching on the stock or forearm of the rifle you choose. Something specific to each child. Name and birth date or something like that. You can ship the stock(s) to the laser outfit easier than a whole rifle to an engraver. Hope this helps. Wind
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

I'd say Marlins. I think the wood is a bit nicer on the low-end Marlins vs low-end Winnys, and the fit and finish on the late production Winnys leaves a lot to be desired. Look at the gap between the wood and the receiver/tang area on a late New Haven rifle and you'll see what I mean.

My dad bought my brothers and I .22 revolvers when we were teens, and was able to go through a distrubutor and get consecutive serial numbers. You might see about that possibility.

Everything else said about the Marlins is worth considering - easier take-down and cleaning, easier parts locating, still in production, more aftermarket parts for "slicking" them up, and more custom 'smiths for Marlins.

If you decide to go with Winchester, I'd shoot for the mid to late 80s vintage. They have decent wood, normal steel receivers, angle eject, and pre-safety. But it could be a pain in the neck searching the auction sites trying to get six nice ones.

Good luck!
Chad
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

I would go with the Marlins, unless I could find and afford 6 pre-64 Winchesters in good shape.
UNITE
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

shaneroyce wrote:I appreciate the "let them pick their own" posts. I agree with that, as I have been able to do that myself. I plan on letting those that are still into hunting and shooting "pick their own" at age 16 - maybe a bolt gun with a scope if that is what they would want. This first rifle purchase is to give them something that they will keep whether they hunt the rest of their lives or not. Those that can (1 son and 3 of my daughters so far) love to shoot and do often with me. They also tag along on hunts with me regularly, so they are enjoying it so far. The plan would be to purchase the rifles, give them to each of them when they turn 12, and take them on their first deer hunt with it. If they continue to love it and hunt, then we go from there. If they don't, then I would love for them to have a great memory and a fine rifle as well. I am confident that they will continue to hunt, but you never know what other interests may take their place. So far, they all love it. Keep the replies and advice coming, it is very helpful. I am leaning toward Marlins. I like the looks, feel, and handling of the 94 better, but always seem to have to tighten bolts, screws, etc. after much shooting (these are all newer 94's, I've never owned or shot a pre-64). I am just not as fond of their build quality as I am of the Marlin, but surely someone here knows more than I do. Thanks again for the continued responses.
I think what you are going to do is just too cool.

As to the original question, I'd get the 336. I've got to admit to a prejudice against the cross-bolt safety on the new Marlins but you might not want to search out used guns that are all in the same condition.

I'm another who has both and likes both.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Gary
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gary »

If your kids ever get into cast bullet handloads you may want to choose the Winny's standard rifling over the Marlin's microgroove. :mrgreen:

/brand war
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

What is wrong with micro groove and cast boolits? I have both Marlin and Winny's and my Marlins with cast boolits are at least as accurate as my winny's if not more so. This is an old wives tale that micro groove won't shoot cast. Pretty cheap too if your supplying ammo for 5 Kids at one time, I have a little less than 18 cents in each 35 remington round-lead, lube, gas check, powder, and primer.
As to the original post for ease of purchase and no fighting over who got the "best gun" go with the marlins and don't look back. A marlin can easily be scoped and what if one of the kids has very poor eyesight and just needs a scope. My opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it. Good luck. Tom
P.S. Medical science has discovered what causes that condition your wife keeps having.(Just messing I come from a big family too. )
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I've a suspicion that kids who like guns will like any gun they get in the short run, and that any gun they get from Dad won't be really "special" until they are in their 50's and turn all sentimental and gooey.

Buy a couple of .30-30s for utility. Let the kids use them to hunt. Let them try those and a couple of other calibers and actions if you can.

Once they have an idea what they are doing, let them pick a gun about 6 months before their 12th and then "earn" it by doing chores or some such.

I think It'll mean more to them and they'll take better care of it.

JMO.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gimdandy »

MARLIN
after considerable thought...........................................MARLIN
lots more thought.......................................................MARLIN
shaneroyce
Levergunner

Post by shaneroyce »

Thanks everyone. I'm leaning to Marlins thanks to your input. I'll let you know how it goes.
greyowl
Levergunner

Post by greyowl »

My choice would be Marlin. I would consider an extra rifle since cost doesn't seem like an issue. A starter rifle. Either track down a youth model or have one cut down, stock and barrel. The LOP and over all weight out front can make good and comfortable shooting tough on a youngster. You don't want to discourage a kid because they can't steady the rifle or it beats them up because it's to long for them to shoulder properly. Just my thought, set them up for success.
Shooting is the national passtime/ walk softly and carry a big stick
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I have two of the newer Win 94's, and I've had several problems with small parts breaking and misfires. Part of the problem is in the design, they have the rebounding hammer and such. I also have a fair amount of trouble with jamming, misfeeds, etc. If you get 6 Winchesters, order a technician to come with them.

On the other hand, they are quite accurate and once I get a round into the chamber they seem to shoot better and are less fussy with ammo. Mine are range queens/silhouette guns.

Since these are for hunting, I would recommend the Marlin 336, it's indestructable and reliable. It's also easier to carry, the sling studs are already built in, and I think one model comes with a sling already. You can even order them with scopes installed. They're already set up for hunting.

They're also easier to take care of, as you can easily remove the bolt and clean them from the rear. I don't do that every time, but twice a year or so, especially if I want to inspect the bore.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I'd get a squad of Marlins. They're still around, and I prefer the feel in the hand (yes, even with the "fat" fore-end.....in fact, because of it). Having used milsurps for years, and carried a M4 with an M203 on it, I'm used to "more up front" as well as being a machine gunner.

At 12 though, they may have LOP issues. Saw a kid at the range once with a Marlin 36 (NOT a 336) and a scope mounted, his head was hovering, he really needed a cheekpad. It was his Dad's rifle.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I would buy marlins. The winchester is not in production as we speak and prices are high on these. The ranger version is not the quality of the 336 in my opinion. Plus, the marlin can be easily scoped.
Gary
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gary »

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/fryxe ... riends.htm
There has been a great deal of concern over the years about whether or not Microgroove rifling would shoot cast bullets well. One group of folks says that Microgroove rifles can't hit a barn from the inside with cast bullets, one group says that Microgroove barrels shoot cast just fine just so long as velocities are kept below 1600 fps, and one groups says that Microgroove barrels shoot cast just fine at full throttle. The key to success with cast bullets in a Marlin with Microgroove rifling is to keep in mind that these barrels tend to have oversized groove diameters, and that the grooves/lands are shallow. Therefore, in order to get proper engraving (and minimize "slippage" of the cast bullet as it enters the shallow rifling), it is necessary that the bullet completely fill up the groove diameter of the barrel, and engage the maximum amount of the driving surface of the lands. Since Microgroove barrels are commonly oversized, this means that the cast bullet must also be oversized to effectively "fill up" the grooves. Other factors that also contribute to good accuracy with cast bullet in Microgroove barrels are the use of a GC bullet (which helps to provide a better grip and seal), and making sure that bullet are cast hard enough for the application (generally a BHN of 12 or more). It is also worth remembering that throats in modern rifles are almost always cut larger than groove diameter of the barrel (to insure that ammunition can chamber easily), and that best cast bullet accuracy is obtained by fitting the bullet to the throat, hence reinforcing the need for oversized cast bullets in Microgroove barrels (for example, the throats on my .30-30s run almost .311", so I size cast bullets to .310" for these guns).
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

the win. 94 fits me like a glove. i shoot it better than anything else. it's like winchester custom designed it to me.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Welcome to the fire! If I had that many kids I'd do the exact same thing - make sure each got the same gun on the same birthday. No arguments about "favorites" and it would tie them all together even more strongly. Like others, style points go to the Winnie, but there is nothing wrong with the Marlin. I really like the idea of some kind of personalization along the lines of engraving. So many options!!! :D

Now, for letting them pick out there own gun, that is what there first .22 is for - when they are a lot younger than 12!
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by slimster »

Since you're being generous, go on and get 'em one of each. You can't have too many leverguns, and, they will be prepared if they ever join this forum and the "Winny vs. Marlin" topic comes up. :lol:
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

While I like the easy breakdown of the Marlins for cleaning from the rear, the Winchesters have a better looking profile for me. More "classic".

You might, incidentally, want to wait a bit.
FN USA is working on re-introducing the Winchester Model 94 built in South Carolina for sales in 2010. The final configuration (safety, rebounding hammer, etc.) hasn't been decided, so those may still be an issue for some, but at least overall quality levels should be a jump up over what they were at the end of the New Haven operation.

Denis
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I've got both Winchester and Marlin lever action rifles. I tend to lean toward the Winchesters with their slimmer stocks and forearms for handling and looks; however, I see no difference between the two brands as to function. Both are equally reliable. The Marlin does take first place when it comes to cleaning as the bolt can easily be removed for cleaning from the breech.
ED
Yer never too old
Brian in FL
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Brian in FL »

I've got both Marlins and Winchesters (pre and post 64). If it were up to me, there's no question, I'd go with Marlin 336s. They're still in production, have more aftermarket parts and accessories available for them, are practically indestructable, are extraordinarily accurate, are designed more simply for taking apart and reassembling, are easy to scope if need be and are easily cleaned from the breech end. Since you'd be buying new, you'd get a five year warrantee, and, let me tell you, Marlin definitely stands behind every rifle they sell. I've never met a Marlin I didn't like. What more can I say?
shaneroyce
Levergunner

Post by shaneroyce »

DPris wrote:While I like the easy breakdown of the Marlins for cleaning from the rear, the Winchesters have a better looking profile for me. More "classic".

FN USA is working on re-introducing the Winchester Model 94 built in South Carolina for sales in 2010. The final configuration (safety, rebounding hammer, etc.) hasn't been decided, so those may still be an issue for some, but at least overall quality levels should be a jump up over what they were at the end of the New Haven operation.

Denis
Is this definitely going to happen, or speculation? I would love to go with 94's if the quality levels were up at least a little from what I've seen in the recent years. Anyone have any more info?
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Unless they drop things at the last minute, it'll happen. No speculation involved.

There was a No-Buildum Period agreement between FN/Browning/Winchester and the union in Connecticut on closing the New Haven plant that's no longer an issue & FN USA's trying to get a finalized version on the market in 2010.
That comes from one of the people involved in the project.
Denis
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

DPris wrote:While I like the easy breakdown of the Marlins for cleaning from the rear, the Winchesters have a better looking profile for me. More "classic".

Denis
DPris wrote:Unless they drop things at the last minute, it'll happen. No speculation involved.

There was a No-Buildum Period agreement between FN/Browning/Winchester and the union in Connecticut on closing the New Haven plant that's no longer an issue & FN USA's trying to get a finalized version on the market in 2010.
That comes from one of the people involved in the project.
Denis
I'll believe it when I see it. Personally I see no reason to bring back the Win 94 in it's last incarnation. I'd love to have a new one, but with the exception of the first year production Trapper .45 Colt they stopped making any I'd buy in 81 or 82.
If they want my business they'll have to do a lot of fixing on them.

I still vote Marlins and pre-AE Win 94s for the children.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Joe,
Not sure who the "I'll believe it when I see it" is directed at, FN/Winchester or me, but on this end it sounds very much like you're calling me a lawyer, which I would take offense to, if you were.

I've been emailing back & forth on the 94 for several months now with one of the project people, I'm told they'll have a better idea of a production date later in the Fall.
Not speculation, my best info. Take it or leave it.

Denis
colo native
Levergunner 2.0

Post by colo native »

any pre cross bolt marlin, and any pre 64 winnie... the newer ones arnt worth foolin with...
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

DPris wrote:Joe,
Not sure who the "I'll believe it when I see it" is directed at, FN/Winchester or me, but on this end it sounds very much like you're calling me a lawyer, which I would take offense to, if you were.

I've been emailing back & forth on the 94 for several months now with one of the project people, I'm told they'll have a better idea of a production date later in the Fall.
Not speculation, my best info. Take it or leave it.

Denis
Denis, I'd never call you a lawyer, ugh what a terrible thing to do. I'd rather have a case of poison ivy than do a nasty thing like that.

My disbelief is simply a personal thing. If I remember right, didn't Browning say they'd have the new Mdl 70s, 1300s and 94s out in 2009? That's what I read several years ago. Same reason, the delays due to the union agreement. And so the Mdl 70s are out but no 94s in 2009. I said the same thing back then and I still won't believe what Browning says until I see a new one in my hands.

If they really do bring any out in 2010, I'll bet they are rebounders with safeties and JUNK just like the last several years worth. Mater of fact I'll bet the first batch is made from left over New Haven parts.

BUY MARLINS, the heck with Brownchesters.

Joe
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Joe,
There were union entanglements involved in closing down the New Haven plant that affected manufacturing of the three involved models produced there at the time. There were also other factors such as setting up the necessary machinery in the Columbia factory, deciding on what to update & what to leave alone, and exactly which configurations to offer in re-introducing products, that all came into play.
It's not something that happens overnight.

There were goals stated for the Model 70, and it's in production, with a new trigger. That took design & production time. I'm actually surprised it came about as quickly as it did.
What was the Model 1300 shotgun was outsourced (Turkey).
The 94, with a different market than either of the other two, took a back seat, but it's been in the works for at least a year now since I started communicating with them about it. Indications are that it will come back on a reduced basis (model variations, not size), and the word "testing" has been used, which along with the content of communications suggests that they're not just assembling from a stock of USRAC/New Haven parts.

I made several suggestions (no safety, crossbolt or tang, no angle eject, and so on), but they're understandably not divulging anything until it's in final form.

They may very well have safeties & rebounding hammers, they may not.
If nothing else, again- I'd still expect a higher level of overal quality than New Haven was producing.
I'd prefer a classic style myself, but younger shooters may not care about pure authenticity as much. Still bundles of shooters buying new S&Ws with locks, hard as it is for people like me to do it.

Denis
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Denis,

We shall see what the future brings. If they bring out a classic styled Win 94 without the rebounder and safeties but with the AE, I just might buy one. I'm not as opposed to the AE feature as I am with the action and safety.

But still, if they bring them out in a top eject, half cock, w/o safety, I will be in line if the quality is there.

But ..... first I gotta see one in the flesh so to speak.

Joe
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

a .338 marlin in src configuration would interest me!
marlin shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by marlin shooter »

This is not a model 94, but I just purchased a new mod 70 featherweight made in SC and it is a fine rifle. I can compare it to a mid 2000's new haven mod. 70 in 7-08 that I bought (new) and it was a real stinker. My new rifle has a good trigger and is a great shooter. I would like to see a new 94, and even if it has a tang safety should be better then the last New Haven 94's.
Karl
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I thought that the new FN management stated that the 94 WOULD NOT be brought back into production period. Frankly, with the new trigger and very limited selection of chamberings in the 70 (WSM's and 'runt cartridges :shock: ') they are not making anything I'm interested in at this point at any price. If it is brought back in any form, it will be in the high end 1 of 500 runs like they are doing with the 92, 1895 and 1886 is my guess.