Handloads for 35 Rem.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
redhawk
Levergunner 1.0

Handloads for 35 Rem.

Post by redhawk »

My brother recently gave me a Marlin 336 in 35 Rem. :D I need some handloading info., especially with solid lead bullets. I have plenty of load info. for semi jacketed loads but lead info. seems to be scarce. Would greatly appreciate a pointer in the right direction.

Thanks
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Handloads for 35 Rem.

Post by fordwannabe »

Just finished a load developement session with my 336 in 35 Remington. I am using a RCBS 35-200-fp with 36.0 grains of 3031 sized 359 with a GC and it shoots a big hole with ten shots. It is not high power but the rifle likes it and it will kill a whitetail. I crimped in the grove and used lee zip trimmer to get all cases the same length. Good luck, if you need any help let me know. Good luck I think you'll like this combo. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

+1 on the RCBS 200 gr. FNGC in 35 Cal.....a great lever action bullet.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
redhawk
Levergunner 1.0

Post by redhawk »

Thanks ford, I will give this a try.
redhawk
Levergunner 1.0

Post by redhawk »

Thanks Cash. If any of you fellas have a source for lead load info. for this caliber I would appreciate you pointing me in the direction.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

My RCBS cast bullet manual #1 has loads for 6 different cast bullets in it.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

ammoguide.com usually has lots of loads; I'd post a link to their .35 Remington page, but my satellite is down and I'm on dial-up :? :(
Last edited by AJMD429 on Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Go to castboolits.gunloads.com on the leverguns section and ask. You will get lots of data
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

C. Cash wrote:+1 on the RCBS 200 gr. FNGC in 35 Cal.....a great lever action bullet.

Many have found this bullet to be a great performer. My rifle likes this bullet with a stiff charge of Varget. 2495 would be an equally good choice. CCI-BR-2 primers have worked well for me. Regards, 1886.
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

fordwannabe wrote:Just finished a load developement session with my 336 in 35 Remington. I am using a RCBS 35-200-fp with 36.0 grains of 3031 sized 359 with a GC and it shoots a big hole with ten shots. It is not high power but the rifle likes it and it will kill a whitetail. I crimped in the grove and used lee zip trimmer to get all cases the same length. Good luck, if you need any help let me know. Good luck I think you'll like this combo. Tom
That's exactly what I use with both of my 35's--and with pretty much the same results. Only difference is that I don't use a zip trimmer. Cases for this caliber can be scarce. You may want to, if you only have one 35 rifle, using the Lee Collet Die to neck size until you have to trim. Be sure to lube the case neck (inside) before sizing. If you already aren't using it, a Lee Factory Crimp die comes in especially handy for this caliber, as its got a stubby little neck that's pretty easy to bulge if you aren't really careful about crimping with the seating die. As a side note, there's really no reason to look for a better jacketed bullet than the Remington 200 grain Coreloct for this caliber, either. Excedpt that Remington has lately been reading everybody's brags on these websites and has jacked their prices up for this bullet until it now exceeds the price for Sierra and Hornaday slugs.

The 35 is a great caliber. I never realized how good it was until several years after I began handloading several other calibers. This one, handled carefully like you've obviously been doing during the loading process, can be very accurate with lots of loads. No, it's not a whizzbang shortymag--it just kills game like one within reasonable hunting distances.
redhawk
Levergunner 1.0

Post by redhawk »

Thanks for all the info. and leads.
Phil
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

A BIG +1 on the FCD. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

If you have not yet, read the articles by Paco and Glen Fryxell on the 35 Remington, really is some great reading
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!