MOVIES - Appaloosa

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
aussie
Levergunner 2.0

MOVIES - Appaloosa

Post by aussie »

I just watched Appaloosa with Ed Harris and Viggo Mortenson. Really liked it. Not your typical western. More period authentic. I think I will be watching this movie again.......real soon.
Ysabel Kid

Re: Appaloosa

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I just want one of those 8 gauges! :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I tend to agree... but others have no been quite so generous in their raise. :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

I really liked it, thought it could've been better but I really enjoyed Ed Harris and Viggo Mortensen's characters.
Ridgerunner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ridgerunner »

Supposedly, it was a 10 gauge in the role of the double 8
Confederately yours,

Ridgerunner
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I would take a 10 gauge hammer if it was as pretty as my Midland
Last edited by rjohns94 on Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
greyowl
Levergunner

Post by greyowl »

I enjoyed the movie also. I like the feel of real people, faults and all. Not the put on type "characters" that are either perfect or horrible. Reminded me of the movie Tom Horn, with Steve McQueen, from about 100 years ago it seems .
Shooting is the national passtime/ walk softly and carry a big stick
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I just rented it,will watch it tonight!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ridgerunner wrote:Supposedly, it was a 10 gauge in the role of the double 8
Actually,
ApSteve Karnes 1878 Shotgun wrote:Armorer and gunsmith Steve Karnes built three "8 Gauges" for Gibbons Ltd. out of reproduction Colt 1878 shotguns, two of which fired 12 Gauge blanks with 8 Gauge sleeves over the barrels to increase the bore diameter and hide its real caliber, while one was built to chamber 8 Gauge inert rounds for scenes in which the gun was loaded, as the size between 8 and 12 Gauge is far too different for no one to notice.
http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Image:SK ... hotgun.jpg
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Griff wrote:
Ridgerunner wrote:Supposedly, it was a 10 gauge in the role of the double 8
Actually,
ApSteve Karnes 1878 Shotgun wrote:Armorer and gunsmith Steve Karnes built three "8 Gauges" for Gibbons Ltd. out of reproduction Colt 1878 shotguns, two of which fired 12 Gauge blanks with 8 Gauge sleeves over the barrels to increase the bore diameter and hide its real caliber, while one was built to chamber 8 Gauge inert rounds for scenes in which the gun was loaded, as the size between 8 and 12 Gauge is far too different for no one to notice.
http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Image:SK ... hotgun.jpg
I remember reading that in "Guns of the Old West" an issue or two back. Still, a genuine 8 gauge... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Too much talking and not enough gunfighting :D
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

First thing I noticed about the shotguns in the movie was their obvious descent from TTN 1878 replica shotguns. The clubby stock configuration tells it all.

FWIW I have one of the TTN coach guns, and have subjected the stock to some simple reconfiguration surgery, slimming the grip and fluting the comb-nose to more closely resemble the old Colt shooters. It makes the gun carry & handle so much better. Surprisingly, there is ample wood in the Chinese stock to allow the modification.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

A well dressed police buddy movie. Great to watch visually... I could have done without Renee Z.

Other than that... pretty good movie
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Not Bad! Not really Great! But it was OK. Nothing like Quigley Down Under/Tombstone/Lonesome Dove/Shootist etc.

Dont laugh! but one I really liked, and had tons of action?---The Quick And The Dead
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Sam's or Sharon's...?

I liked Sam's a LOT better than the 'other' one...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

Not a bad movie. I agree with Hillbilly though, could have done w/o Renee Z.
It was different and not the 'typical' western.
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Just as in the book, Renee's character (Allie) was meant to be an outwardly independent, whiney, needy, opportunistic wheedler. Not sympatco in the least.

In that regard, she nailed it.

You're really not supposed to "like" Mrs. French.

And I don't.

(I may have been married to her sister once... :P )
Regards

Buck

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

SAM ! :D
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

madman4570 wrote:SAM ! :D
Perzackly...!
Regards

Buck

Brian in FL
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Brian in FL »

If you're talking about the one with Tom Conti, I heartily agree.
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

I actually liked Sharon Stone's The Quick and the Dead. Yep, some parts were really goofy. Like the sunshining through bullet wounds or Gene Hackman flipping butt over teakettle but if you overlook that stuff, the costumes and guns were all wonderfully done. Like Russell Crowe's 1851 cartridge conversion correctly called a .38 Long Colt. Sharon's beautiful ivory stocked nickeled SAA. I loved Gene Hackman's guns `n garb, even though we all know that you don't put gloves ON for a gunfight, you take `em off. Just have to watch it with rose-colored glasses. ;)
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

CraigC wrote:I actually liked Sharon Stone's The Quick and the Dead. Yep, some parts were really goofy. Like the sunshining through bullet wounds or Gene Hackman flipping butt over teakettle but if you overlook that stuff, the costumes and guns were all wonderfully done. Like Russell Crowe's 1851 cartridge conversion correctly called a .38 Long Colt. Sharon's beautiful ivory stocked nickeled SAA. I loved Gene Hackman's guns `n garb, even though we all know that you don't put gloves ON for a gunfight, you take `em off. Just have to watch it with rose-colored glasses. ;)
Might help to be two or three sheets to the wind too, so the wierd stuff could slip by me mostly unnoticed... But, I don't drink...
Regards

Buck

stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

If we're talkin' about the Ed Harris version from a year or so back, it was a snoozer. Downright boring. Won't bother watching it again. Now then, a good Western to be watched over 'n over would be Open Range with Costner and Duvall. Broke the mold right there with that one. I think it's even better than most of John Wayne's westerns.... :shock: :shock:

Flame on!!!

And as far as Sharon Stone goes...well she's just plain easy on the eyes. How hard can it be to watch her??? :P
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

CraigC wrote:I actually liked Sharon Stone's The Quick and the Dead. Yep, some parts were really goofy. Like the sunshining through bullet wounds or Gene Hackman flipping butt over teakettle but if you overlook that stuff, the costumes and guns were all wonderfully done. Like Russell Crowe's 1851 cartridge conversion correctly called a .38 Long Colt. Sharon's beautiful ivory stocked nickeled SAA. I loved Gene Hackman's guns `n garb, even though we all know that you don't put gloves ON for a gunfight, you take `em off. Just have to watch it with rose-colored glasses. ;)
WTF.....your kidding ....right!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

Hillbilly wrote:A well dressed police buddy movie. Great to watch visually... I could have done without Renee Z.

Other than that... pretty good movie
Yep, They could have at least used a good looking woman for the part!
Retro
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Retro »

stew71 wrote:How hard can it be
I'm not touching that with a 10... erm... I'm not going there.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Re: MOVIES - Appaloosa

Post by gak »

Regarding the Quick and the Dead... if you look past the terrible acting (except Crowe's)...and I'm a Hackman fan, DiCaprio's growing on me (finally)..and Stone, though no Streep, is certainly capable of a less forced/wooden performance...and her garb, though purposefully part of the cartoonish character, was over the top. Hackman was Superman's Lex Luther in a cowboy hat. Buffoonery.

I'm a big Harris fan and great westerns are so sparse these days, I really looked forward to Appaloosa with a lot of "loaded" anticipation..and was somewhat let down. Not bad but somewhat a plodder--a bit of a yawner as someone put it. I watched the DVD's special feature(s) as well and found it a bit indulgent...admirable for the attention to period and locale nuance and detail, but underscoring (unintentionally) that the movie missed the mark on the entertainment message.
Also, to me, it missed some of that "big picture" 70mm grain, bigger-than-life character or whatever that film quality is that the great ones have had--including the Eastwood trilogy...one of the reasons those are so revered, whatever else their flaws. Still, Appaloosa was certainly better in that regard (and all other aspects) than the DVD-only cowboy action shooter (no name actors) releases by a long shot and not a "bad" effort at all. Admirable but flawed endeavor. Next time (and I hope there is one), Ed, knock it out of the park!

I agree with the positive comments on Open Range. One of Kostly Kevin's better outings...and Duvall's always a treasure, elevating whatever movie he's in--but especially the westerns. In Open Range, it was refreshing that he didn't need to entirely carry it though.