winchester big bore AE in 356

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

winchester big bore AE in 356

Post by brucew44guns »

Thought of one day owning a .356 something or the other. There''s a Big Bore AE on Gun Broker bid up to 580.00, Havn't shopped much, and never seen a .356 on there before in such a gun. This any kind of deal at this point? Bruce
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Hi Bruce,

Do you have a link to it? What's the condition?
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Fred, Thank you ssir. Bruce, the barrel on that 356 Win. looks too skinny(one for 590.00). Something is not right here. It looks like the 375 barrel. I've never seen a 356 with the smaller diameter barrel and am unaware of any. I would beware.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
edsguns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edsguns »

Bruce,
I own an original .356ER Marlin and have been singing it's praises to my buddies for a while. I have located a gunsmith that will rebore a 336 30/30 to .356 for about $150. This can be a real bargain to those who already have a 30/30 336 or for someone who can find one cheap (usually not difficult) as the bore does not have to be pristine, obviously. Of course, if your reason for owning one is as a collector and not a shooter/hunter a reboring might not be for you. I'm waiting to hear if Hornady is ever going to sell it's LeverEvolution bullets seperately as the 200gr ones for the .35 Rem should work well and turn that .356 into a .358 for all intents and purposes. Good Luck
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

edsguns wrote:Bruce,
I own an original .356ER Marlin and have been singing it's praises to my buddies for a while. I have located a gunsmith that will rebore a 336 30/30 to .356 for about $150. This can be a real bargain to those who already have a 30/30 336 or for someone who can find one cheap (usually not difficult) as the bore does not have to be pristine, obviously. Of course, if your reason for owning one is as a collector and not a shooter/hunter a reboring might not be for you. I'm waiting to hear if Hornady is ever going to sell it's LeverEvolution bullets seperately as the 200gr ones for the .35 Rem should work well and turn that .356 into a .358 for all intents and purposes. Good Luck
Sounds interesting. I have read some cons about doing this though, pressures, feeding, etc.
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

This would be real nice to have but $1,400 ouch! This one has been for sale on here for quite some time.........
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Here is mine for comparison.

There's very little room between the barrel and mag tube on mine...the barrels on the 356's, 307's and 444's are thicker than the 375 Win. Couple of thoughts on theone on ebay for 590.00.
-One, it might be 356 Win. and it's an optical illusion that there is that much light between the barrel because of the lamp behind it.

-Second possibility is that he has his boxes mixed up(alot of times these guns exist in collections in clusters, bought up as investments) and this is really a 375 Win. with a mis matched box.

Either way, an email to the seller would be in order to find out more. Azoil brings up a good point. Lot of fellers wouldn't hesitate to convert a standard rifle to 356, and some of them I respect greatly. For me, I personally wouldn't do it if I was going to be loading near maximum. I'd buy a Win. Big Bore as there are many still out there there NIB or like new....you'd probably spend about as much on a standard rifle+ conversion, shipping, etc. You get the stronger reciever and the stiffer barrel with the Big Bores, with not much added weight. I believe many shoot like bolt rifles because of the bigger diameter/stiffer barrel, my theory anyway. There's always an occassional lemon that wont but the accuracy on these Big Bores usually turns out to be above par. My .02.
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

winchester 356

Post by brucew44guns »

I am not surprised at all of you guys good answers and info back. It's what you do. I'm still cogitating on it. Just got real interested again lately in a .356, if I miss this one, who knows, a Marlin might pop up if I keep searching, perhaps at a bargain price, or one of those Big Bores. I bought a lot of guns last year, I knew I was retiring at years end, and I am a little spent-out right now, but had not gotten this one last piece of the immediate puzzle fitted in, if you get my drift!! Am not real adventureous to get a rifle rebored. Thanks a lot. Bruce
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life