look at this model 88 package deal.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Guncase
Levergunner 2.0

look at this model 88 package deal.

Post by Guncase »

Would you believe I picked this up for $340.00! I didn't even try to talk him down. I was going to resell it for profit, but it is too nice, I just can't do it. Caliber is .308.
" I never went to college, but I sure paid for my education."
A favorite quote from my Grandfather.
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

I think you did great!

I've always wanted to handle one of those; is the action smooth?
Guncase
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Guncase »

I have no idea, I'll have to go down to the safe and fondle it to see. I picked it up a couple of months ago, and haven't shot it or messed with it at all.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Very nice!! :D
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

There's a deal!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

88s are sweet. I have one in .35-284. The power of a Whelen in a compact rig and it will out shoot many bolt guns. You got a winner there. 1886.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Great deal, I have one just like it and that is the ammo that shoots best in mine. My wife calls it - The Autumn Gun.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

leveractionjunkie
Levergunner

Post by leveractionjunkie »

That definately is one heck of a deal :shock: Congratulations!

Old Savage are those leupold rings on your 88? Are they current production? I'm looking for some a better mount set up for my scope on my 88 and that looks about perfect.
With a .45cal entrance wound I don't worry too much about bullet expansion.
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

I inherited a model 88 in .308 and they are a nice shooting rifle. Accurate enough too, My Dad put a truckload of venison on the table with this one.
Guncase,I think you got the deal of the century on that rifle!
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Old Savage, Your wife's name of "The Autumn Gun" is just about the most perfect name I've ever heard for a Model 88 ! :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Thats how you do it-------I call it "highway robbery" , legal style---------------------------good snag.

Just a word from personal experience--Whenever you make a good snag with the thought of personal profit in mind, always hold off a month or two. Sometimes our minds get slightly clouded from a new found windfall with thoughts of new toys coming home. You just may wanna keep it. How many times have we all said, "geeze, I wish I woulda kept that."

Unless of course, if the rifle you buy is a beat up Mossberg .22 bolt gun and some fish offers you $500 for it :wink: ----don't snooze, because your gonna loose. :lol: -----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

edsguns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edsguns »

An EXCELLENT deal and fine looking rifle. You could certainly make a fine profit on that particular rifle...but they are scarce enough that with care it will last many years for your pleasure and continue to grow in value. 88s in that kind of condition are becoming quite hard to find. Make sure you resist the temptation to change anything about it's original condition, except scope and bases/rings though. Congrats!
Guncase
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Guncase »

I got over my insanity about a week after I bought it. I'm definately keeping it. I might take that cheap scope off, I think I still have a spare steel tube Weaver in the drawer that would look much better. I'll have to see about some new mounts too.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Guncase, you did good old man. I've seen them go for twice that.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[if the rifle you buy is a beat up Mossberg .22 bolt gun and some fish offers you $500 for it ----don't snooze]

HEY ! I represent that ! ;) Besides, that Mossberg was a rare, U.S.-marked target gun easily worth $1,000 ! :roll:

Hey, guncase - That's a pretty good score. Now, how about........The rest of the story ? ;) :lol:
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

You did better than OK. I paid $500.00 for my 1963 Mod. 88 ( also a .308) three years ago. Throw in the great old Redfield scope on yours, plus the extra clip and you got it for half of fair market value. That ain't no cheap scope, it is a Denver made Redfield. Much better than a WEaver.

Good on you!

You will find these 88s shoot right along side of a good bolt in terms of accuracy. The stocks (with the drop at the heel) kick a mite, but still they are great rifles. The last of the truly great Winchesters.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Very good deal!!!
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Wow! Oh, those sirens you heard were for you, because you stole it!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

la junkie - the mounts and rings are Bueller. I don't think they are in production anymore.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

leveractionjunkie
Levergunner

Post by leveractionjunkie »

Thank you old savage. I had to ask mine has an awful set of old see through type rings and a clunky one piece base, one of the reasons my 88 doesn't get shot as much as it deserves.
With a .45cal entrance wound I don't worry too much about bullet expansion.
Gene Dip
Levergunner

Post by Gene Dip »

Here's one that I passed on to the oldest daughter's husband a couple of years ago. I got it new in 1967 in 308 W and had many seasons of success with it. He has wanted it since he first laid eyes on it. So it's now his at a little better deal than you got. $0.00 cost. I've been passing a few of my good firearms onto family members and grandchildren included over the years. This is a very accurate rifle with a special procedure of bedding.