Finally on-topic: Browning BLR Takedown, + off-topic blades.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Finally on-topic: Browning BLR Takedown, + off-topic blades.

Post by Rexster »

I recently liberated my TD BLR from lay-away. The chambering is .308 Winchester, same as my other BLRs. I look forward to mounting a Leupold Scout Scope on it, as Browning offers a scout-type of mount, for which the TD models are already D&T'ed. The nice thing about a scout mount for this rifle is that the scope stays on the barrel when it is taken down. The receiver is D&T'ed for the normal BLR scope mounts, but then there may be more issues with POI shifting after reassembly.

Sorry, no pics, but, my wife just presented me with a digital camera, an Olympus FE-370, so maybe I can set aside my Polaroid and start taking 21st-Century photos soon. For decoration, some photos of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi, photos taken by the guy I bought it from, and a Strider Spaniard, also taken by the guy I bought it from.
douglaswakic3a4_1.JPG
douglaswakic4d0_1.JPG
StriderSpaniard007.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Finally on-topic: Browning BLR Takedown, + off-topic blades.

Post by kimwcook »

Cool Wakizashi. Got a couple myself. Plus, a WWII Katana. Love blades.
Old Law Dawg
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Finally on-topic: Browning BLR Takedown, + off-topic blades.

Post by Rexster »

Thanks for the compliment. Rob Douglas worked with Wally Hayes, a Mastersmith who is noted for his own Japanese-inspired work. Mr. Douglas is still in the Canadian military, and does blades part-time. BTW, "wakisashi" is how the maker spells it, so I spell it that way, too. Perhaps is is a Canadian or King's English thing. It is simply a transliteration of Japanese words, anyway, not a translation of the characters.

The knife, of course, is much more recognizable as having a Persian influence than anything Spanish, but I can't see Mick Strider doing anything to honor Persia or Persians at this point in history. This knife has a most notably wonderful handle, which really got my attention, even though I am not a fan of the "Persian Fighter" genre of blades. BTW, those "stripes" are not painted; the heat-treat process darkens the outside of the steel, and that is the dark part. The "clear" areas are where the dark part has been blasted away.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.