OT: Worrying about "work" -- versus LIFE (A Prayer Request)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

OT: Worrying about "work" -- versus LIFE (A Prayer Request)

Post by Old No7 »

Hello brothers & sisters in arms:

This prayer request is for a co-worker, but I need to give you some background info first...

Work has been... Well, it's been "work" lately...

A 2.5 hour daily commute, plus 10 to 12 hours of work... That's my life... Many projects (possibly "too many"); some issues (sometimes "too many"); some growth in a tough economy (but still "not enough", if you know what I mean); and work has basically been pretty rough the last few weeks.

You know, it's the kind of work and whatever else life throws at you at the same time that you don't get to hug or love your girl enough, to pat the dog enough times, to hold or even shoot your leverguns or whatever else the safe holds AT ALL enough, and all that other stuff. So yes, I've been worrying about "work" a lot and that causes stress, and stress causes... other problems. (Pushin' on 50 adds to that too...)

But today... Something happened to put all of this into perspective...

Called a guy at work for an urgent conversation at 9AM today... We didn't connect, but I tried again 3 more times. We finally connected around 7PM tonight. You guessed it, yup, we were both still at "work". I didn't know how he was feeling, but from the above, you know how I was feeling as our conversation started. The issue we were discussing was urgent but pretty easy... I just needed to ask for his support on a project, and as it turns out, he was more than eager to offer it up. Cool.

But the conversation itself... was very difficult... My colleague was speaking in halted phrases, single... words... coming out... very slowly... as he was talking... Surprisingly, for me (given all the coffee that I had today...) I was very patient and I didn't say "Gee, what's up? Sounds like you had dental work done or something?!" When he finally said a sentence that I couldn't understand after 2 or 3 tries, he said he'd send me an e-mail. Ok, that would be great.

So the e-mail arrives. He provided me with all of the backup and support that I'll need and wishes me good luck on the project. Super. And then, he drops the bomb...

"Hey, sorry for my slurred speech, thought your daughter would have told you...." (as she works in his division). "I have been diagnosed with ALS and it's affecting my speech. It's very frustrating..."

CALL ME GUILTY guys and gals...

Here I was, worried about "work" and this colleague is dealing with HIS LIFE, as I believe that ALS has no cure, and it will eventually end his life.

My heart is heavy, and my wet keyboard is shorting out as I type...

I am SO GLAD that God spoke to me or "bit my tongue" and I didn't make any stupid remarks...

And yet, I feel SO sad and guilty and petty about my stupid worries about work, when this son-father-husband-brother-colleage-and-all-around-great-guy is dealing with his LIFE.

I feel so guilty, and so stupid...

I don't think this man frequents this board, but out of respect for his privacy, I'll just ask you to please keep Kevin and his family in your prayers. He is one of the nicest men I have ever met on the job.

Thanks all, for letting me share this...

To be honest, I didn't know where else to turn, as the rest of the family is out tonight... And then I thought of my family here at LG.

So may God Bless Kevin, and all of you too.

I am humbled, and blessed, and better sign off before more water hits the keys...

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Worrying about "work" -- versus LIFE (A Prayer Request)

Post by Tycer »

Thank you. Prayers sent.

ALS is the meanest of diseases as the mind continues to function flawlessly as the body shuts down around it, slowly, one piece at a time.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

"+ 1"

Sometimes a reality check is VERY good for both you and others......Thank You, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

Prayers sent for your friend and his family.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Dave B wrote:Prayers sent for your friend and his family.
+1
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Prayers sent. My sister-in-law was recently diagnosed with ALS. It's cruel thing.
Ricky

DWWC
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

One 'benefit' of working in health care is that it becomes very hard to get complacent about life, or forget to be thankful for the basics. I never have a day at work without seeing someone who is having a FAR worse day, or month, or life, than I have, and that keeps things in perspective.

The other benefit of working in health care is that occasionally God or good luck - and sometimes even actual skill and knowledge, see to it that we actually help some of those folks have a better day, or month, or life. That is humbling as well.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Prayers up!

Makes me want to take back complaining about spending all day in airports and on airplanes... :oops:
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Prayers sent to your good friend and his family. I feel your sadness.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Tycer wrote:Thank you. Prayers sent.

ALS is the meanest of diseases as the mind continues to function flawlessly as the body shuts down around it, slowly, one piece at a time.
It is hard to say whether ALS or Alzheimer's is worse. At least my mom seems to have forgotten the losses in her life.

We have, of course, said prayers for all concerned. Sometimes it is a bigger struggle for the family than the afflicted.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Prayers sent, reminds me of what "tough times" really are ,not the little annoyances(sp) of my life. God Bless.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Sad story. Kevin and his family will be in my prayers.
Old Law Dawg
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

things like this always focus our attention in the right direction, then, somehow, it drifts back to the "little" worries of our life. Your friend is my prayers as you all are. blessings.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Prayers sent for your friend and his family. That is a real kick in the teeth. I don't know how I would react to news like that, a real test of character and faith. Makes you stop and count your blessing no matter how small.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I will put your friend and family in my prayers, and you too.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

Prayer sent.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.