OT -- Calling All Texans

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

OT -- Calling All Texans

Post by Blaine »

I'll be (rapid) transiting Texas in about three week on the GoldWing. No time to sight-see, but what would be the best route to see the "real" Texas. InterState 10? 20? 40? Some other combination? I'm looking forward to haveing a couple outstanding Tex/Mex meals....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: OT -- Calling All Texans

Post by Griff »

Stay off the interstates. Run one of the computer programs for the SHORTEST route from your point of entry to p.o.of exit.

Give a few & I'll give ya a list of what I think are the most "Texas" of towns.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Where are you entering & exiting? I could run ya around in circles lookin @ places.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well, like most states, to see the real Texas you have to go by the back roads or as we call them in Texas Farm to Market (FM) roads. You won't see a heckava lot off of I-10 - but it does go through El Passo and San Antonio and Houston which is dessert to hill country to gulf coast.

I-20 will take you through a whole lotta flat before getting to more flat - Ft. Worth, Dallas and then over to Shreveport.

I-40 won't show you any Texas at all - just Oklahoma!

I would recommend I-10 if you want to make time and see the "most" Texas.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Ah - there you go - Griff can set you up!
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Regardless of what/where anyone else recommends, DO NOT FAIL to visit Fredericksburg. 1st, it is a TEXAS town and second, it's home to Cimarron Arms. Next door is Texas Jacks & if anyone could overload that Goldwing with things "Texas", they can!
Last edited by Griff on Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Well, like most states, to see the real Texas you have to go by the back roads or as we call them in Texas Farm to Market (FM) roads. You won't see a heckava lot off of I-10 - but it does go through El Passo and San Antonio and Houston which is dessert to hill country to gulf coast.

I-20 will take you through a whole lotta flat before getting to more flat - Ft. Worth, Dallas and then over to Shreveport.

I-40 won't show you any Texas at all - just Oklahoma!

I would recommend I-10 if you want to make time and see the "most" Texas.
My buddy in Sedona sez 10 would be the most interesting..... I've been to Oklahoma..not much different than Kansas (which is not a bad thing, just I would like to see some different kind of country)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Griff wrote:Regardless of what/where anyone else recommends, DO NOT FAIL to visiit Fredericksburg. 1st, it is a TEXAS town and second, it's home to Cimarron Arms. Next door is Texas Jacks & if anyone could overload that Goldwing with things "Texas", they can!
I was just in Fredericksburg for a weekend getaway with the wife last May. How in blazes did I miss that?!?!?!?!
Gorgeous country down there and loved the town. We'll be back.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I assume you are going to come in from Wash.
If you come in at El Paso you are going to see a LOT of desert before you see anything else, but riding a scoot through the big bend country will be a hoot.
If you come in in North Texas you will be in the high plains, that country is mind numbingly boring to drive through,although historicly significant.
Don't worry you will know you are there when you start smelling the feed lots, and on your scoot you will probably smell them for 100 miles, and it can be nausiating, so be prepared.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

cnjarvis wrote:
Griff wrote:Regardless of what/where anyone else recommends, DO NOT FAIL to visiit Fredericksburg. 1st, it is a TEXAS town and second, it's home to Cimarron Arms. Next door is Texas Jacks & if anyone could overload that Goldwing with things "Texas", they can!
I was just in Fredericksburg for a weekend getaway with the wife last May. How in blazes did I miss that?!?!?!?!
Gorgeous country down there and loved the town. We'll be back.
They were closed & off to a cowboy shoot! :?:

And THAT odor is the smell of money!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

If you go to Fredericksburg make sure you visit Lukenbach too. While in Fredericksburg eat at Hondos. It is owned by Hondo Couch's (he bought Luckenbach in the 70s and Waylon and Willie made it famous) daughter. It has great music, as does Luckenbach, food and drinks. I have been there many times since the 70s and never failed to enjoy myself. :D
"That'll Be The Day"
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Griff wrote:Regardless of what/where anyone else recommends, DO NOT FAIL to visit Fredericksburg. 1st, it is a TEXAS town and second, it's home to Cimarron Arms. Next door is Texas Jacks & if anyone could overload that Goldwing with things "Texas", they can!
And as long as you are there, take a couple of hours and hit the Admiral Chester W Nimitz Museum of the Pacifc War.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

As you get through Texas on the way to Houston, you can stop in Shiner too - home of Shiner beer to wet your whistle a bit :) or pick up a six pack for later.

San Antonio is a great place to get some excellent Tex Mex food too - you can go see the Alamo (30 minutes to an hour), go down to take in the riverwalk and get some good food before you get back on your way.

There's also a cool cave called "Natural Bridge Cave" just West of San Antonio - but If you're coming through NM, I'd stop and see Carlsbad Caverns first - these two caves are very similar but Carlsbad is 10 times larger.

There's a big gun shop in Houston too - has all kinds of antiques and collectibles - Houston Gun Collector's or something like that...
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sad to say, about the only time I'll have is when I stop for gas/food/lodging.....I prolly owe it to the heros to at least eyeball the Alamo :!:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Be careful Blaine, there is something in there that makes the eyes water.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

It's all good!
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

To answer your question 10 is the best to see what we call the "Hill Country" of Texas. It will start a little after Junction. :)
"That'll Be The Day"
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

BlaineG....if ya wind up traveling I10 to I20 stop in Odessa for breakfast at Dobie's.....then stop in Strawn and eat a big ole fried steak and taters at Mary's then stop in Ft. Worth and eat at Joe T. Garcia's (cash only) then stop in Canton and eat at the Dairy Palace (great buffalo burgers) then stop in Longview at Dudley's and eat Cajun then.......

jumbeaux

ps: if ya go south then after the Alamo eat at Mi Tierra's in the Mexican market.....

Yep I'm a fat guy
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

BlaineG wrote:Sad to say, about the only time I'll have is when I stop for gas/food/lodging
OK, move Shiner to the top of the list... :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

If in North Texas, stay just North off the I-20 entering at Pecos & exit almost at Ft Worth.

We made this trip in July and you will be in the Heart of Texas.

If on the I-10 and are going to Central or South Texas, exit the 10 just past Junction and go East on US-190. This will take you thru Fredricksburg, then to Austin and from Austin to Houston. This will by-pass San Antonio and the Alamo. And who wants to see the Alamo, anyhow. One mud-hut looks like any other, Right. (did I really type that ?) Heaven forbid !
Whoops! Please, oh Please don't get the rope.
Soooo, when ya get to Austin ya just may wana head South to San Antonio, see the Alamo. Then go to Houston.

Now If you are in North Texas and are heading South. Take I-35W or I-35E South and be sure and stop at the Texas Ranger Museum in Waco. This is a must see if you go thru Waco.
I-35W is on the Ft Worth side of the Metro-plex, I-35E is on the Dallas side. The wish-bone combines North of Waco and becomes just I-35.

I love Texas, and Arizona too.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Blaine, if you want a unique Texas experience, go far south along Texas 170 and U.S. 385 through the Big Bend area, and then come north and hit U.S. 90. Take that to U.S. 290 to go through Fredericksburg. Watch out for deer on the road down there, there are a lot of them.

Its a long, hot, and beautiful ride.

:wink: :)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Don't forget to visit Waco. Home to the Texas Ranger Museum, and Dr. Pepper Museum. There is also a great Tex-Mex restaurant on the Bellmead section of Waco on the West side of I35 across from the WalMart. From the outside it looks like a dump, but the food is so really Mexican that often there will be less than 5 white faces in the whole crowd of brown faces. If you go through Waco, go see Beverly Hills,Tx. It is an enclave of Waco, and if you need directions ask where Bad Bear Liquor store is. It is in Beverly Hills. Not really much to see in Beverly Hills, but you can say you have been there. Following I35 North you will go throuch the central Texas town of West. They make the best Kolaches there that you will ever eat. Kolaches are a Czech specialty made with a bread dough and some have sausage, some have fruit filling, and they are all incredible. Going North you will pass through Hillsboro where I work. Don't blink or you will miss it. Then I35 splits and goes to either Dallas or Ft. Worth. The Ft. Worth stockyards are a great place to visit, especially Gilley's. To eat in Ft. Worth you must go to the Railhead Smokehouse and have some Texas Barbecue. It is every bit as good as Adrian's or Gates in Kansas City, and that is saying a lot.
Last edited by piller on Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Wonderful suggestions, all....I only hope I have time for a little bit of it besides busting butt thru on the way to Ohio...... Personally, I'd rather stop and shoot pig with y'all, but Mom's old and will be upset if I don't make an appearance this year.... :wink:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Yeah,
I have to do that too. :roll:
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

If you come in at El Paso you are going to see a LOT of desert before you see anything else...
But it is pretty desert! (I grew up in it).
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Yes, I agree, but you have to like desert.
Not all people are enlightened.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

20 cows,
Remember the yuccas in bloom?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

mescalero1 wrote:20 cows,
Remember the yuccas in bloom?
I tried my whole career to get stationed at Bliss....didn't happen.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

You really missed out.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

FWiedner wrote:Blaine, if you want a unique Texas experience, go far south along Texas 170 and U.S. 385 through the Big Bend area, and then come north and hit U.S. 90. Take that to U.S. 290 to go through Fredericksburg. Watch out for deer on the road down there, there are a lot of them.

Its a long, hot, and beautiful ride.

:wink: :)
I should mention, if you take this southern route, you want to go through Presidio, TX to get on TX170. You really want to see this part of the Rio Grande. Unforgetable.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

The Big Bend Country (Brewester and Presidio counties) of Texas is an awsome and wonderfuls piece of real estate that will never be forgotton once seen. It is my favorite place in the world. Most Texans have never seen it, as it is not on the way to anywhere. If you go there, it is because you intended to go there. Highy recommended!!!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Go visit Mom in OH 1st.... then take a leisurely tour of TX on the long way home. Weather MIGHT be a few degees cooler, but... it's 833 miles across TX from Anthony to Texarkana, and that's if you don't take ANY side trips!

And don't forget that while cruising US-90 you need to stop in Langtrt, TX an' visit the Judge Roy Bean museum.

Plan on at least 10 days in TX. Maybe we could squeeze in some shootin'!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Charles wrote:The Big Bend Country (Brewester and Presidio counties) of Texas is an awsome and wonderfuls piece of real estate that will never be forgotton once seen. It is my favorite place in the world. Most Texans have never seen it, as it is not on the way to anywhere. If you go there, it is because you intended to go there. Highy recommended!!!
I'll be entering thru El Paso...that much I know. Twenty years ago, thats where I thought I'd retire, but family dictates that I stay around here..at least for now. I love the desert. Washington has a decent high plains desert that I enjoy, as well. Quite frankly, after I transit AZ, NM and especially TX, I'll have seen everything of interest this trip.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Where I grew up, we had Yuccas. Southwest Kansas is slightly wetter than a desert, but not much. I love most everything about Texas, and what I don't love, I can still live with. No place is totally perfect, but for me and my family, Texas has been great. If you spend the time to see everything worth seeing, you will be pretty busy for a long time.
If you come up or down I35, give me a shout and I'll do my best to find you some food or something Texan to make a good memory. Most of the Native born Texans I have met are good people, and most of the ones who came here by choice are too.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BlaineG wrote:I'll be entering thru El Paso...that much I know. Twenty years ago, thats where I thought I'd retire, but family dictates that I stay around here..at least for now. I love the desert. Washington has a decent high plains desert that I enjoy, as well. Quite frankly, after I transit AZ, NM and especially TX, I'll have seen everything of interest this trip.
Okay then, here ya go:

Take I-10 east to Van Horn, exit 140, turn east on US-90 (you could take BR-10 and stop at Coach Madden's "favorite Mexican Restaurant" in town), but take US 90 to FM505 (might be labeled "ranch route", east on TX-166, and north on TX-17 & troll thru Fort Davis... and thence south on TX-18 to Alpine and the college cuties... plus it has one of most beautiful courthouses in the State.

Back on US-90 continue east to Langtry, (I forget the number of that loop around to it), and then follow US90 on into San Antonio. Visit the Alamo & River Walk then head back west on I-10 to US-87 north into Fredericksburg and Cimarron. Then out east on US-290 to Austin, and whether you wish to cruise around Austin and visit the State House or not is up to you. But, from there you can go up I-35 into Waco and exit @ #235 to visit the Texas Ranger Museum... A MUST STOP!

Take I-35 on into Dallas and then out I-30 east to Texarkana and Arkansas! My computer program shows that's 23 hours and 40 minutes of drivin' time. If you really wanted to drop down into the Bing Bend area, you could just take TX 17 outta Fort Davis all the way to Marfa, then take US-67 down to TX-170 and over to US 385 back up to US-90. You'd miss Alpine and Sul Ross University and the scenary around there... but there are other college towns... :P :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Clearly, I must dedicate an entire two weeks to the desert southwest some year....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BlaineG wrote:Clearly, I must dedicate an entire two weeks to the desert southwest some year....
Probably a month. I figure starting where you live... the 1st stop should be in Death Valley, (early April is perfect), tour Scotty's Castle, then over the "hump" into Pahrump, NV and the mines there, drop down along US93 onto I-10 in AZ, (one HAS to see the Hoover Dam); make a speed run for Tucson, (Old Town is just OK), but down at the bottom of I-19 is the best little town on both sides of the border; practice yer Spenglish and visit Nogales, AZ AND SO. Then out AZ-84 and across AZ-90 thru Bisbee and into Tombstone. After that, jet up US-191 and detour over to Wilcox and visit the Rex Allen museum. Then continue north to US-70 and tour Globe, then hit US 60 north over the Salt River Canyon and that town won by a poker hand, ShowLow. Continue east into NM and over to Lincoln County.

I have more suggestions... but you're probably out of vacation time and money... Back TO WORK! :mrgreen: :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff wrote:
BlaineG wrote:Clearly, I must dedicate an entire two weeks to the desert southwest some year....
Probably a month. I figure starting where you live... the 1st stop should be in Death Valley, (early April is perfect), tour Scotty's Castle, then over the "hump" into Pahrump, NV and the mines there, drop down along US93 onto I-10 in AZ, (one HAS to see the Hoover Dam); make a speed run for Tucson, (Old Town is just OK), but down at the bottom of I-19 is the best little town on both sides of the border; practice yer Spenglish and visit Nogales, AZ AND SO. Then out AZ-84 and across AZ-90 thru Bisbee and into Tombstone. After that, jet up US-191 and detour over to Wilcox and visit the Rex Allen museum. Then continue north to US-70 and tour Globe, then hit US 60 north over the Salt River Canyon and that town won by a poker hand, ShowLow. Continue east into NM and over to Lincoln County.

I have more suggestions... but you're probably out of vacation time and money... Back TO WORK! :mrgreen: :twisted:
Hey, if ya get around here I can take ya up north and roust liberals....... :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

Let me know if you come through the Houston area. I can help with news on road closures and the best times to avoid certain areas, and in the event of bike trouble, can put you in touch with good people. I know a wrecker driver who is a dedicated HD rider and will go the extra mile for riders.

If you pass through Austin, there are two good ways to reach Houston, Highways 71 and 290. If you use 290, you will have the option of exiting at Hempstead, taking FM 1488, which is a beautiful ride, and passing through some wonderful communities north of Houston, and then taking 105 from Conroe to Beaumont, where you can re-join I-10 if you wish, though 190 can be a better route for scenery going into Louisiana. I can give some food stop recommendations for Acadian country, a.k.a. Cajun country, along I-10, if anyone is interested. Well, OK, Pat's of Henderson in Lake Charles, on the Lake Charles Loop east of town, and Mulate's, in Breaux Bridge, a bit off of I-10.

Important to remember is that I-10 will FLOOD in some areas between Loop 610 and Downtown Houston. If we are having a gully washer, stay off the low parts of I-10!

If you want to use Beltway 8, a.k.a. the Sam Houston Parkway, to go around central Houston, it is more complete if you loop around to the south, where it is complete, than the north, where it is not all freeway, though if you approach Houston via 290, the northern route will be much shorter.

I actually don't have any good food recommendations for Houston right along I-10, only places a bit off I-10. Spanish Flower is REALLY good, open 24 hours except for Tuesday, and is at North Main at Airline. (This is near Mancuso Harley Davidson, BTW.) They serve authentic Mexican food and Tex-Mex. Escalante Grill, on 610 a few miles south of I-10, at Beechnut Street, is not bad Tex-Mex, and I say this as someone who generally dislikes Tex-Mex. I like their food. In Houston, Vietnamese can be really good, and I mean REALLY good. Kim Son is best-known, but Mai's, at 3403 Milam, just south of Downtown, is very good, and rivaled by only one other Vietnamese place along US-59, some miles off of I-10. Mai's Special Bo Luc Lac is to die for.

If you will be passing through Houston, PM or e-mail me for my phone number.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.