Another range trip with the Single Six

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Another range trip with the Single Six

Post by TedH »

Snuck out to the range after work tonight with the Single Six. I actually remembered to bring both cylinders this time.

I tried the CCI Maxi Mag 22 mags last time out and was sorely disappointed. They were shooting into about 6" at 25 yards. I got some Winchester Dyna Points this time, and boy what a difference! That little gun shoots! My eyes aren't the best anymore, but I was still able to print some very respectable groups. Always under two inches, but I had one six shot group just a hair under one inch. The more I shot, the smaller the groups seemed to be. I assume it likes a little fowling in the bore.

Switched over to the long rifle cylinder next. With that, it showed a strong preference to the CCI Mini Mags over the Federal bulk stuff. Accuracy was not quite as good as the Winchester Magnums, but still minute of pop can at 25 yards.

Now I'm kicking myself for not buying one of these years ago. What a fun little revolver. 8)
NRA Life Member
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Another range trip with the Single Six

Post by J Miller »

Ted,

I've got an Old Model Single Six and yes it's fun pistol. Ruger changed their bore size to accommodate the .22 mags so sometimes the LRs don't give the same accuracy as the magnums. In my pistol the new CCI .22 WRF cartridge beats both the LRs and Mags for accuracy.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

One of the most FUN guns there is to shoot.

...when did they change the bore size...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Now you just need a Bearcat to go with it! :D

Yes, I am a gun-purchasing enabler... :roll:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

AJMD429 wrote:One of the most FUN guns there is to shoot.

...when did they change the bore size...?
I don't know the exact year, but it was when Winchester brought out the .22 WRM. Somewhere in the late 50s I think.
Mine is a 66 vintage and measures .222". I think the earlier ones were near .219" or so.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

A man is plain Naked without a Single Six! :wink:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Glad I have one, naked is not an acceptable condition in south N.M / west Texas
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

C. Cash wrote:A man is plain Naked without a Single Six! :wink:
Here we go again about Gary Sinse... :wink: :lol:
BwanaDave
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BwanaDave »

Tell us more about the CCI wrf. I haven't heard about these and I have a 1890 wrf. Are you using the mag cylinder on the single six to shoot them?

I have had a single six for 35 years and I shoot LR almost all the time. It is very accurate after all the use and abuse it has seen. A great gun.

Dave
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

BwanaDave wrote:Tell us more about the CCI wrf. I haven't heard about these and I have a 1890 wrf. Are you using the mag cylinder on the single six to shoot them?

I have had a single six for 35 years and I shoot LR almost all the time. It is very accurate after all the use and abuse it has seen. A great gun.

Dave
Dave,
The CCI .22 WRF is just their version of the old Winchester .22 WRF or Remingtons .22 Remington Special. Same basic case as the .22 Mag but a little shorter and with a 45 gr lead bullet. The velocity is between the LR and Mag.
In both my old ( 1970s vintage ) Colt SA .22s and my Ruger Super Single-Six the WRF, the old and the current version has been more accurate than either the LR or the Mag.
My opinion is that the better accuracy of the WRF is due to the use of a lead bullet at a lower velocity. But that's just my opinion.

Joe
Last edited by J Miller on Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
Aye Chihuahua! :lol: Just to keep you rabble on task.......my Single Six. This is my 3rd and will not let this one get away.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

For showing exemplary skill and courage, sneaking out to the range, I hereby appoint you, TedH, Sheriff Ted Ruger ! ;)

Here's yore badge:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I am so honored to accept this Title! :D
NRA Life Member
Rod WMG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rod WMG »

In virtually every .22 I own CCI MiniMags are terrific.
A man's heart devises [or schemes] his way, but the LORD directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

:D
Last edited by Nobody on Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Sounds like you have a winner there. A few years ago I went up in the attic and got all the plastic bins full of holsters, grips, and other stuff and sold it at the gun club flea market. The result was this Single Six. It is like a guided missile launcher accuracy wise and we have had a lot of fun with it.

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I always did like the short barreled ones better. Been thinking of having mine shortened to 4 5/8".

Joe
mran1126
Levergunner 1.0

Post by mran1126 »

I got my Single Six with a 9 1/2 inch barrel when I was 18.......44 years ago.....I love that gun. I used to like shooting the Remington .22 specials....I'm glad CCI has one like it.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

C. Cash wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote:
Aye Chihuahua! :lol: Just to keep you rabble on task.......my Single Six. This is my 3rd and will not let this one get away.
Just ribbing you Chris. Those are certainly some nice looking revolvers!!! :mrgreen: 8) :D