OT - How much CCW ammo do you carry......

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

OT - How much CCW ammo do you carry......

Post by Boreman »

when armed? I carry a 5 shot M-605 Taurus in 357. Alot of times I carry only the 5 rounds in the gun. Other times I carry 2 HKS speed loaders depending on what I am wearing or where I am going. I often wonder if the 5 would be enough if I ever had to defend myself or others? Your thoughts or what does your experience teach?
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

Most fights are over before 5 rounds are expended. But that does not mean much if you need more.

If I were you, I would buy a Bianchi Speed Strip which will give you a quick reload without the necesity and bulk of carrying speed loaders.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

six

or five

depends on which one

or eleven if both
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

I try to keep two reloads on hand.

In my opinion, the 'speed strips' are junk, especially considering how cheap speed loaders are.

If I have my backup, then I don't carry a reload.

Scott is correct about the fight ending in 5 shots, but I would feel a heck of a lot better with a loaded pistol after a confrontation! Who knows? They could come back!
oregon73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oregon73 »

I carry a S&W 642, which is a five-shot .38 Special+P. Along with the gun, I usually have two speed strips in my pocket, with six rounds each. That seems like plenty although sometimes there's a speedloader in my coat pocket. I do agree that most defense situations would not require more than the first five shots. However, the whole point of carrying a conclealed weapon is that a threat can come at a time when you least expect, in a form that you least expect.

The Bianchi speed strips are great. I highly recommend them for anyone carrying a 38 Special or 357 Magnum. No, definitely not as nice as a speedloader, but for keeping six rounds together in a pocket, and being unobtrusive, very handy.

If I'm carrying my Glock 19, then one extra mag of 15 rounds is plenty.

My opinion: a person should go out with at least one reload, and probably two. Just my humble opinion, of course. :wink:

Rob
Last edited by oregon73 on Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

If my Tracker 44 is in use 10 the 5 in the gun and 5 in my pocket. I feel that if you pull a full power 44 mag with a ported barrel if you don't kill them with 5 shots you definately deafened them and scared the stuff outta them. The 5 extra rounds are carried in my pocket. If my Glock 20 10mm is in use I carry 2 mags one in the gun one in my pocket, both are 15rnd. mags for a total of 30 rounds. If you can't solve the problem with 30 200gr hollowpoints you've got one BIG problem, or the army of some country after you!
Bosco
Levergunner 1.0

CCW

Post by Bosco »

Gun plus one reload. Scott gave you a good tip with the speed strips. Try 'em. They will have a place in your plan.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I carry one speedloader with my 637 +P or a bianci speed or two.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

with my 5 shooters, I carry two Bianchi Speed Strips.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I carry (1) extra mag.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
old06
Levergunner 1.0

Post by old06 »

8 in the 32 ACP Beretta Tom Cat, 11 in the 40 S&W Walther P99, and 16 in the 9mm Ruger P89 I carry no other clip or spare ammo for any of them although I have extra clips for all of them I just cant see it taking more than want they hold. Like ScottT said most are less than 5 rounds total I seen a article by the FBI one time that stated such a statement it may have even been less the that. The Beretta gets most of the carry time unless I have something on where I can hide a the larger frame gun.
Psalm 16:1 Preserve me, O God: for in thee do I put my trust.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

shawn_c992001 wrote: I feel that if you pull a full power 44 mag with a ported barrel if you don't kill them with 5 shots you definately deafened them and scared the stuff outta them.
Often in those situations you never even hear the gun go off. It's called "auditory exclusion" and in a high-adreneline situation is very common.

I had a .357 go off near my face once .. probably a foot away. I don't remember hearing the noise. I do remember feeling a "concussion" but it wasn't distracting. My ears didn't even ring.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I carry a Glock most of the time, loaded with 12 rounds. Usually keep another full magazine in my vehicle, but seldom on my body.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Just depends on what I'm carrying. I typically don't carry spares, since my usual carry piece is a Para-Ordnance P12.45.

Figure if I need more than 12 rounds I probably deserve to get shot! :shock:
Last edited by Ysabel Kid on Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The AirWeight and 2 speedloaders....

The Glock 36 and 2 six round mags

The AirLight .22.....just what's in the weapon
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Steve Collins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steve Collins »

Beretta Vertec 9mm: 15 in the gun, 2 spare 15rd mags, plus S&W 642 as a backup gun w/1 Speed Strip.

If there is a fight, do you really want to count on "well, most fights are over in less than five rounds, anyways?" Or, do you want as many rounds as you can at your disposal?

Multiple opponents are becoming the norm, not the exception anymore. If you think 5 rounds will handle it, fine, but what if you fire your five and the fight's still going? You really want to try and reload during that time? A second gun would be a good thing right about now!

How about being able to arm your spouse so she can move your family out of harms way, while you move toward the sound of the guns and deal with the threat?

Believe me, I'm not saying anyone is wrong, I just want to give you something to think about. The world isn't getting any better, and I see no sense in going about like it's the 1950's anymore!
Draw quickly, shoot accurately!
S&L Training
www.sandltraining.com

NRA Life Member
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

no spare mags? how would you deal with a mag failure of any kind?
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

S&W 640 + 1 speedloader and about 1/2 a box in the vehicle.

I think it was Clint Smith that said, one thing you'll never say to yourself in a firefight is that I wish I didn't have so much ammo.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
nralover
Levergunner 2.0

Post by nralover »

I carry 1 magazine full, plus 1 in the chamber. If 11 rounds of 230 grain Federal Hydra-Shoks can't save me then I guess it is my time to go...
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

Its a shame they don't make those 'speed stips' in .44 or .45 for those folk packing SAAs.
Jay
Levergunner

Post by Jay »

16 rounds..... .45 ACP
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '66, - May 68

Some of my toys....
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

When you think you need your gun, 210 rounds doesn't seem like enough, when you're just carrying, mag or cylinder capacity is quite enough. I carry the gun full + one reload.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

I carry one reload unless it is an over night trip and then I carry 2 and through maybe a box of ammo in the truck. I carry my reloads on speedstrips.

A great speedstrip for 44 magnums is a Desert Eagle magazine, you can flick them out pretty quick with your thumb with a little practice. they work great for Single action revolvers but I havent tried it with double action revolvers.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

One to Two reloads for whatever I'm carrying, and I carry different guns for different potentialities.

When I have to go into Gary & the surrounding area, I carry my G27 & 2 reloads - for a total of 30 rounds. (plus 2 12rd G23 sticks in the glove box for retreat insurance...)

Otherwise I carry my SP101 with 2 extra Bianchi Speed Strips for a total of 17 rounds, or my NAA Guardian wit 1 extra 6 round mag for a total of 13 rounds.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

DEPENDS WHERE I AM....
2 EXTRA CLIPS....IF I AM IN THE DOWNTOWN AREA
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

El Mac wrote:Its a shame they don't make those 'speed stips' in .44 or .45 for those folk packing SAAs.
These work well for .44s

stripper clips for the Lee Enfield hold 5 rounds of .44

Jack
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

When I carry my KelTec P3AT (.380), a total of 19 rounds. All of this in my right front pants pocket.

If I carry my .45, no reloads, just the 11 in the pistol. Again in my right front pocket.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I carry the gun and one reload. Most of the time I carry a Glock 19 so I have a total of 30 rounds. That is a lot of ammo, but it isn't hard to carry.
Sometimes I carry a Smith 642 and one speedloader. I try real hard to carry the Glock though.
Ammo is like buble gum. If you bring some, you better bring enough for everybody :D
Mtnfolk75
Levergunner

CCW ammo

Post by Mtnfolk75 »

I agree with BlaineG, my no-dash Airweight with two 6 round speed strips, is with me anytime I have pants on ..... :roll:

If I am actually leaving the mountain, I usually carry a 9mm of some type with one extra Mag ......
Dusty (Mtnfolk75)
Retired CA LEO / NRA Lifer

" Where my friend Roscoe is not welcome ..., neither am I ... "
Senior Levergunner

who wants to carry all that stuff?

Post by 2571 »

I was a big city plain-clothes cop. Carried 5 rounds in my Model 36 for years. That was adequate according to our book of procedure and I never felt I wanted or needed more.

I never saw a situation where a ccw licensee needed to reload.

I've have seen plaintiff lawyers emphasize that a shooter for carrying extra ammo and the juries usually agreed that indicated the guy with the CCW was looking for a situation to act like John Wayne.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

With any of my DA sixguns I carry one HKS reloader. With my Colt SAA.45 I carry a Mernickle belt slide with six rounds.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Re: who wants to carry all that stuff?

Post by 66GTO »

2571 wrote:I was a big city plain-clothes cop. Carried 5 rounds in my Model 36 for years. That was adequate according to our book of procedure and I never felt I wanted or needed more.

I never saw a situation where a ccw licensee needed to reload.

I've have seen plaintiff lawyers emphasize that a shooter for carrying extra ammo and the juries usually agreed that indicated the guy with the CCW was looking for a situation to act like John Wayne.
I am retired Federal Special Agent (Treasury) and was also a firearms instructor for our agency. After the Miami FBI shoot out several years ago, our agents always carried extra magazines, if not on our person (we also were "plain clothes" suit and tie) somewhere within arms reach. All of our firearms training included timed magazine exchanges/tactical reloads. I still rely on my training and continue to practice that way.

If ever cross examined about my carry method, that is my explanation.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

My POV is, "I won't be caught dead with an empty gun".

You may never have to SHOOT more than the 5 in your snubby, but if that's all you've got, and you plan on hanging around for the/other LEO's to come sort things out, IMO it's a pretty good idea to "top off" in case more BGs show up.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

Fellows, Thanks for all of your comments. I guess my thinking on this issue is in the ballpark. You made a believer out of me. I checked out the Bianchi Speed Strips, and ordered a set today. I'll give them a try.........
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

The strength of Speed Strips is the ability to load two rounds very quickly. With an SA, that factor is lost, as only one chamber is exposed at a time. I don't have a .38/.357 SA to test the theory, but the available space might make a Speed Strip problematic when reloading an SA. I do use Speed Strips for my DA sixguns and fiveguns. For a complete reload, Speed Strips are more for convenience than speed; cartridge loops on the front of the belt are faster, and with a DA, allowing two to be loaded at once, nothing beats a 2x2x2 carrier, except a speedloader.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

On the original question, well, it depends on my mood and perceived threat level. I almost always carry at least one reload per type of weapon, and usually carry two handguns. If the two handguns are the same type, I might only carry one reload that they can share. The two-gun habit is largely because I also carry a badge; that may change when the badge is retired in a few years, especialy if we move out of this urbanized area, where my quiet small city is surrounded by a large un-quiet city, where my "clients" live.
Have Colts, will travel.

66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Rexster wrote:nothing beats a 2x2x2 carrier, except a speedloader.
When I started my law enforcement career we carried Model 15 S&W's loaded with .38 Spcl. +P. We learned to reload with 2X2X2 pouches during timed drills. We also trained at night doing partial reloads and learning to index the cylinder in the dark so that the hammer did not fall on an empty chamber. There is something satisfying about a fast reload from a 2X2 pouch. We later switched to speed loaders (then to semi-autos) but I missed the pouches. You could look down the firing line during qualification and tell who the good shooters were just by how fast they reloaded. It separated the men from the boys (and girls) so to speak.
Dakota Mike
Levergunner

Post by Dakota Mike »

Stoeger SXS one in each, Texas you know :D
Lobo
Member Emeritus

Post by Lobo »

I carry a Colt Combat Commander (45 ACP)....seven rounds in the magazine and one in the chamber.
Lobo in West Virginia
Old List Veteran..Five Years..Five Hundred Posts
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

reloads

Post by Hillbilly »

depends on what I have and how i dress

1911 in cool weather +2 8 round Chip McCormics on a belt slide pouch

3" M 65 SW and a couple of speed loaders.... sometimes speed strips

snub Tarus 85 + 2 speed loaders or strips

Strips or Speedloaders... the point is to practice with either or both if you use them. I like strips. Another thing..try to carry things in a consistent place..under stress you dont need to figure out new things.

The strips work good for me... but I started with a Sam Browne and Dump pouches back when Dinosours roamed the earth
~J
OD*
Member Emeritus

Post by OD* »

Normally two spare 8 round magazines.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Depends on what I'm packing. If I'm packing my 649 I carry one Bianchi speed strip. If I'm packing one of my 1911's I pack two magazines in the shoulder holster or if I'm carrying on my belt, I pack two magazines off duty and one 10 rd. magazine w/Surefire flashlight on duty. By our SOP I have to carry at least one reload while off duty.
Old Law Dawg
Mojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mojo »

For CCW, I carry just what is in the magazine. Hopefully I will never find myself in a situation where I need more than sixteen rounds of .40 S&W and if I do, I have an extra magazine in the truck.
If you can see the big picture, you are not focusing on your front sight.
DDude
Levergunner 1.0

Post by DDude »

Scott is correct about the fight ending in 5 shots, but I would feel a heck of a lot better with a loaded pistol after a confrontation! Who knows? They could come back!
Not if you do it right... or Jesus brings them back to life. :wink:

I always carried an extra magazine when I carried my Detonics .45
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

DDude wrote:
Not if you do it right... or Jesus brings them back to life. :wink:

I always carried an extra magazine when I carried my Detonics .45
Or their friends start crawling out from the surrounding rocks... :shock:

All depends on the neighborhood. :?
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

ScottT wrote:Most fights are over before 5 rounds are expended. But that does not mean much if you need more.

If I were you, I would buy a Bianchi Speed Strip which will give you a quick reload without the necesity and bulk of carrying speed loaders.
I agree with the SPEEDSTRIPS as better than round speedloaders when carrying a wheelgun.

When I was working as a pharmacist, and often got called to work late/close shift at high-risk stores in the inner city, I carried a Para-Ordnance P-14 with two spare magazines of Black Talon. That was enough to get me a $42,000 fine and five years in jail in New Jersey, but totally legal in Indiana.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
sabashimon
Levergunner

Post by sabashimon »

I carry an HK45c....8+1 and a 10round mag on my weakside.
And hope like hell that'll be enough to get me thru whatever I step in.
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace."
Thomas Paine

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
George Orwell
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

You need to pick up a copy of "Shooting Back" (I believe it's still listed on the front page of http://www.leverguns.com - if not, it's available from Woldnet Daily) In it Charl van Wyck tells about how he shot at automatic rifle and grenade wielding goons with his Rossi 38 spl 5 shot snub. Two rounds at 50 yards or so (IIRC) and then he went out the side door and around the building, loosed the next three at the goons as they were getting away - and was left with a strangely shaped club (my words, not his) - no ammo, no reloads, just an empty gun. That's not a good feeling, no it isn't. Me? I've usually got 18 rounds total with me, the sixgun and two speedloaders. Hope I never need ANY of them, but if I DO - I don't want to be left unarmed.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

Ah, an old topic brought to the top! :) In case it has not yet been mentioned here, remember when using Speed Strips, to peel using a motion as if opening a bottle with a bottle opener. Some who are critical of Speed Strips are trying to peel to the side, which results in a less-clean release, and sometimes the chambered round will try to pop out of the chamber.

Once again, just to be clear, Speed Strips are NOT fast for a complete reload, but are VERY fast for loading two RIGHT NOW.
Have Colts, will travel.

MikeNV
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MikeNV »

My favorite off-duty carry is a S&W 640 performance center gun with 2 speed strips for a total of 17 rounds. The 640 is just comfortable with an appendix carry in a Milt Sparks Summer Special.

If I'm carrying on of my Glocks then I carried one extra full size mag.
For example if I'm carrying my Glock 30 (.45acp) 10+1 then I carry a Glock 21 full size 13 rd mag.

Very cool idea about the .303 stripper clips to hold 44 mag rounds, wonder if it will work for .45 Colt rounds?