OT - Bows... Serious WOW entry holes & blood trails...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

OT - Bows... Serious WOW entry holes & blood trails...

Post by Old Ironsights »

A couple of these shots you can SEE the blood blasting out. Never seen anything like that in any other broadhead marketing video, much less a mashup like this...

http://www.ragebroadheads.com/uncensore ... otage.aspx

Amazingly fast kills. Watch for the Black Bear near the end...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Bows... Serious WOW entry holes & blood trails...

Post by 86er »

The videos are cool! When I was shooting for a major bow manufacturer on their pro staff I tried Rage several times. As with anything there are trade offs. If you do not hit the animal at 90 degrees the deployment of the broadhead can made the shaft unstable and turn it some. If one blade hits bone either before the other or only one hits bone at all the grab causes the arrow to go off course. One the other hand, the wide cutting path can be a savior. I hit a weed stem on the way to a good buch and ended up hitting the buck just in front of the hips. The femoral artery was severed. He died in less than 30 seconds and went less than 25 feet from where he was hit. I know a fixed blade one inch cutting diameter would not have cut that artery based on the placement. One time I experience bounce-back with Rage (the arrow comes back out the entry hole) and I rarely got pass-through penetration on whitetail deer no further than 30 yards (although sometimes the arrow would stick out the far side). I have seen blood trails, entry wounds and bleed-outs that were as good with American Broadhead 7/8" and 1" sonic fixed blades and a handful of other blades. The Rage marketing is outstanding but the product is, in my opinion, better than average but not the best.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

They are extremely effective. My cousin shoots these, and after looking at them I'll stick to my fixed blade. They are well made, but extremely intricate. I'm still just a bit leary about moving parts on my broadheads. I shoot the NAP Nitron and if it's good and sharp, it will do all the killing I need.
:D
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I like the idea of a non-banded mechanical and have been shooting the Rage 2 Blade, but I have been looking at other CoC Mechanicals - mainly because of Rage Blade Durability.

The Snyper & Grim Reaper look interesting.

Edit: This video is a couple years old but shows some interesting results testing broadheads. Go down the page on the left side to the little TV screen and click on the >.

http://www.prorelease.com/xring.aspx

The American Broadhead 1-1/8" fixed blades have piqued my interest too - especially since I bowhunt in areas where anything that runs more than 100yds (in some directions anythign over 50yds ) ends up in somebody's back yard...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I use two bladed fixed, hand sharpened out of my longbow, but that demo makes me think I ought to try them at least once. WOW
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Mechanicals aren't legal in Oregon.
No elk hunts?

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

I'll pass on the mechanicals, just don't trust 'em, I'll stick with my Zwickey Deltas they work for me.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I killed an 8 buck one time, and later found a mechanical broadhead, inbedded in it's neck bone, and completely healed up. Had to been shot at least the year before.

On compound bows and crossbows I have always used the old three bladed wasp and it's always worked good for me. However, on my recurve, I have always used the old Bear Razorhead, without the razorblade insert. Of course I always shapened these with a file. I believe a two blade head like the Bear Razorhead or Black Dimond two blade, cuts better then most other blades when used with a recurve or longbow.

The first deer I ever shot with a recurve, I ended up hitting the near side leg bone, and that two bladed head slid off and around the bone, took out a rib, took out a rib and hit the leg bone on the other side, and ended up sticking out about half way on the other side, at which point, the shaft got snapped off on the first jump of deer. That simple old time broadhead gave me the best blood trail of any broadhead I ever tried. The deer went about 40 yards or so.

Another interesting thing I found out, was how a two bladed head will fly through a cloth bag target, like it wasn't even there, where any 3 or 4 blade punch cut head will be stopped in short order. I was shooting this bag I had with a crossbow, and the 3 bladed wasp, with the arrow being stopped even at close range, and never going through the back side. Then I shot the bag with my recurve and the two blade head and I thought I had missed the bag, because that arrow just flew through the bag, like it was even there, and hit the grass on the other side.

I though at first that I had just found a soft spot in the bag, but I tried several more times, with the same results. Enough to convince me of the extreme penertration of the old two blade cut on contact, file it yourself, broadheads. I wouldn't use anything else on a traditional bow.

Plus the old timers always said that a head like the Bear Razorhead which is sorta flat on the end, and not real pointed, will slide off of and around a bone, instead of sticking it it, and stopping, and being just two bladed can change directions slightly and keep on going, and they were right. I used to laugh at those old heads many years ago, but Fred Bear, Howard Hill, and even Pope and Young, knew what worked, when it came to that old equipment.
NRA Life Member, Patron