The (deer) drought is over!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ridgerunner
Levergunner 2.0

The (deer) drought is over!

Post by Ridgerunner »

In Tidewater, VA, where I live, deer season comes on Oct. 1 for general firearms. October & November were very unseasonable, in the 80's to near 90's at times, no rain and I was on a crappy schdule at work (10am-630pm). My forays afield yielded only a grey fox, as no shootable deer presented themselves (bucks only until the last 6 days of the season), so I was skunked for modern firearms. Archery came and went with the same results. Our late muzzleloader came in on 12/15, but I was hampered, once again, by the work schdule, as it was dark when I got home. Well, today, being off, I took the T/C Omega out to the winter wheat field (don't get upset, Hobie, it has a lever to load the 209 primer!).
About 5:10, in the Golden Hour we all love so, I caught a slight movement to my right. It moved a bit more and I could make out a large doe casing the field before she committed. She put her head down, I eased the T/C up. She popped the head up, I froze in my tree stand. She put it down again, and I got the X-hairs on her shoulder as she started slipping out to munch the tender young wheat. A 295 gr. Power Belt HP slapped her down in her tracks, and my meat was (finally!) made. Will get to go to the Eastern Shore of VA Saturday for the last day, modern firearms is still in, and participate in a man-drive, but this one was particularly sweet, as this may well be the last time I can hunt the fields I have harvested venison from the last 4 years. The landlord wants to move back here, and we will probabally be gone by August. Oh, well, it was nice while it lasted and I have some good memories to reflect upon in my golden years.....
Confederately yours,

Ridgerunner
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Good for you Ridgerunner! Nothing like a fresh venison steak to start the new year off right. :D
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

Congrats on a nice clean shot and good luck on your other hunt too! Mike
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enjoy your venison!!!!!!!!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Heck, I was gonna send money until I realized you didn't say "beer".

:oops:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Well done RR 8)
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Well done Ridgerunner!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/