Browning 32-20 rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Browning 32-20 rifle

Post by big bear »

Anybody have one? Good/bad experience. Hard to find brass???(I read Starline was best) as hard to reload for as I read? What's it good for ( don't tell me shooting :P ) Where I ramble there are big bears and the occasional grizzly so I don't tend to take anything smaller than a 300Savage for woods bumming.The Browning I saw sure was a purty thing though.No rabbits around here and it would probably really make a mess out of a grouse.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Browning 32-20 rifle

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Very sweet little rifle. Very accurate with jacketed or selected cast loads. Shoot grouse in the head! :D
Brass is easy to come by from Star-Line and of good quality. A little too lite for Griz but lots of deer have been harvested with the .32WCF. Just plain fun to shoot.
No problem loading them,just take a little care and adjust your sizing die so you don`t push the shoulder back more than needed.
The new brass is shorter than the old stuff but that is no problem, just trim all your brass to the same length and crimp as a separate step from bullet seating and you will have no problems loading the .32 .
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

THE 32-20 CARTRIDGE IS A 30 CALIBER RELOADABLE 22MAGNUM.
THERE IS NOTHING DIFFICULT ABOUT IT AT ALL.
THERE ARE PLENTY OF COMPONENTS AVAILABLE.
THE BR. M53 RIFLES ARE TOO COOL FOR WORDS.
BE SURE AND SOAK YOURSELF IN PEPPER SPRAY BEFORE YOU SHOOT A GRIZZLY WITH IT AS HE IS THEN GONNA HAVE YOUR FANNY AND ALL YOUR GIBLETS FOR DINNER. HE LIKES WELL FLAVORED MEAT.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Check out the Remington Ballistics chart. About midway down on the third page, not too impressive.

http://www.remington.com/pdfs/rem2005_ballistics.pdf
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

The 32-20 is one of my favourite classic cartridges. The Browning Model 53, with its modern steels, can be loaded to the full capabilities of the cartridge. For example, Waters' Pet Loads has many loads listed that will put an 85 grain Hornady JHP out the barrel at over 1,700 fps, a 100 Remington JSP out the barrel at over 1,500 fps, and the traditional LYman 115 grain bullet out the barrel at up to 1,650 fps. I'd stay away from using it for bear, but it is my favourite small game/varmint cartridge.

At those steamier loadings, however, your brass life may be shortened. Starline makes excellent brass.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

mikld wrote:Check out the Remington Ballistics chart. About midway down on the third page, not too impressive.

http://www.remington.com/pdfs/rem2005_ballistics.pdf
Factory Loads these days are mild. They used to offer a High-Speed loading but that disappeared many years ago.
It is not hard to run a 120 gr. bullet near 2000 fps if you don't mind shortened case life. The chart at the bottom of this article are velocities I chrono'd from my Marlin ..

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/1894cl.htm

Use the data at your own risk. They work in my gun.