OT - Another Ruger #1B

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Another Ruger #1B

Post by 6pt-sika »

I purchased a Ruger #1B in 270 Weatherby for my dad for Xmas about 2 months ago . Got a decent deal and the rifle had a really nice piece of wood .

Now I have gotten the inclination to get another #1B in 300 Weatherby . Not because I really need a 300 Mag of any type but because they only made the #1 in 270 and 300 Weatherby (none of the other Weatherby calibers) . I have run up on a couple in 300 Weatherby that intrest me :wink:

Done the 300 Win Mag thing before as well as the 8mm Rem Mag . How is the 300 Weatherby recoil wise in comparison to these two ?
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Another Ruger #1B

Post by Streetstar »

The .300 Weatherby has a sobering amount of recoil in a light weight rifle. I have a synthetic stocked Vanguard that is eagerly awaiting its muzzle brake. I cant' make an "apples to apples" comparison, as the .300 Win Mag i have fired was a tactical rifle that weighed at least 11-12 pounds-- it felt like a 30-06 compared to my 8 pound Vanguard.

The 8mm Rem. has a similar size case to the 300 WBY, but throws a heavier projectile --- so my guess is the recoil of the 8 would be a bit stiffer with equivalent pressure loads.

For me, muzzle brakes are man's best friend on rifles like these, but would look out of place on your #1.
----- Doug
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

For some reason those 300 mags KICK GOOD with stiff loads.
Friends not used to them get the scope ring around the eye or on the old forehead.
Especially when a shooting bench.It will kick hard!

Now the 7mm Remington Mag shoots like a dream compared to them and really will do anything they will with right bullet selection.
For a hunting rifle I like(own)a 1983 Winchester XTR sporter in 7mm mag.Also a 1982 one in 300 win mag.The 7mm is by far the better gun!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I figure if I can handle my synthetic stocked Mark X Mauser in 416 Rem Mag with 400 grainers the 300 Weatherby in a semi heavy #1 about easy to say the least :)

Now I have a Ruger #1H in 416 Rem Mag I've not seen or fired yet ! That may be another story !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Ya, you are already used to the big stuff. You should have No problem.! Good Luck!! :)
silverbuzzard
Levergunner 2.0

Post by silverbuzzard »

338-06 is all you need for hunting, 225 grain Hornady Spirepoint at 2800fps!
I have a #1 in 06 , just bought it and love it, can push a 180 Nosler @ 2900 in that action and barrel length

There is a guy on web,cannot remember name but has a gunsmith shop
He will rebarrel your gunand then you could sell your barrel or make it a switch barrel,thats his specialty
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Was surprised how manageable those two 300s are. Never shot an 8mm Mag but it is likely more of a kick. I find that No 1s a good on handling recoil. I have shot them up to 458.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Ruger #1B .300 WBY Mag
180 grain Nosler Partition
120 or so yards
5x5 Rocky Mountain Bull
One shot

I never felt the recoil or heard the shot.

Very manageable. #1B rifles are not light.

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
silverbuzzard
Levergunner 2.0

Post by silverbuzzard »

nice elk !
taking mine in 06 to Bob marshall this fall. Hope I can post pics like that!