Movie Recommendation ........Rio Lobo John Wayne

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Movie Recommendation ........Rio Lobo John Wayne

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Rio Lobo is a good John Wayne western that borrows from several of his previous movies. The story is about a Union colonel trying to find out who the traitor was in his unit that sold information about gold shipments to Confederate guerillas. Along the way he helps a town escape the wrath of a rich landowner and a corrupt sheriff. The story may seem similar, but this still is a very entertaining movie. What John Wayne movie isn't? The story blends action and story together in this exciting western. Bunch of levers too!
Yeah yeah...its not period correct ...but who cares...
beats whats on TV
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Movie Recommendation ........Rio Lobo John Wayne

Post by mescalero1 »

The squirrel in my backyard beats what is on TV
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Movie Recommendation ....... Rio Lobo John Wayne. WELL DUH!!! Anything with the duke in it is a movie recommendation. :lol: :lol: That aside, your right, its a great movie. Wish I could have met him in real life.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I have it on CD. I was also in Old Tucson in 1970 when they were filming parts of it. So it's sorta kinda my favorite John Wayne movie.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

One of my favorites as well and have it on DVD. Shasta's acting, well.......... :? Still a great movie though and it all works. Gotta love Jack Elam and the double barrel with the wired back triggers. :shock:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

John Wayne's one of my favorites!

mescalero1 - we gave up on TV will be five years this coming November. It's surprising how much you can do when the "one-eyed monster" isn't intruding every waking minute. We've both taken up reading much more than ever before, spend more time communicating and enjoying each others company. We seem to have a better relationship now.

We get our news from the radio (a.m. mostly), some from the internet and visiting with neighbors, weather reports/alerts from our weather radio, and our entertainment each Saturday night when we pile up with our two dogs, some popcorn and our weekly Netflix movie selection (saw 47 in '08).

We occasionally talk about getting set-up with TV again, but after watching it on our rare hotel stays we always come to our senses and think, ... Nah, not so much!
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

It's the first one I remember seeing and still one of my favorites.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I listen to short wave radio, amazing what is out there, it helps that I am multi-lingual.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I'm watching Rio Lobo right now. Just saw a double blooper I've not seen before.
In the scene where the rebel carries up the hornet nest he's wearing a bandoleer of what looks like 45-70 cartridges. If that's not bad enough look close and you can see they have jacketed soft point bullets. Ewwwwww yucka pooie.

I wonder what else I can catch.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

C. Cash wrote:One of my favorites as well and have it on DVD. Shasta's acting, well.......... :? Still a great movie though and it all works. Gotta love Jack Elam and the double barrel with the wired back triggers. :shock:
One of my favorites as well, and I watched it recently again about 6 months ago. Got curious about Shasta, as she was stunning - but I didn't remember seeing her in any other movie. Did a little research (not quite to the stalking level Chris is familiar with :wink: ), and found out she only did one other movie, but became an executive in the entertainment industry. Good for her! :D
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
C. Cash wrote:One of my favorites as well and have it on DVD. Shasta's acting, well.......... :? Still a great movie though and it all works. Gotta love Jack Elam and the double barrel with the wired back triggers. :shock:
One of my favorites as well, and I watched it recently again about 6 months ago. Got curious about Shasta, as she was stunning - but I didn't remember seeing her in any other movie. Did a little research (not quite to the stalking level Chris is familiar with :wink: ), and found out she only did one other movie, but became an executive in the entertainment industry. Good for her! :D
Lets just say it was EASY to forgive her acting skills at the time....very, very, very easy............

As for the stalking I think mandatory "healthy seperation" workshop has done wonders. Should get rid of the ankle bracelet soon! :mrgreen: :wink:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Yep we gave up TV when everything went digital. I'm not buying a box. Don't care, there's nothing worth watching anyway. I'll rent movies if I want to be entertained.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

C. Cash wrote: Lets just say it was EASY to forgive her acting skills at the time....very, very, very easy............
Don't you know it brother!!! :mrgreen:
C. Cash wrote: As for the stalking I think mandatory "healthy seperation" workshop has done wonders. Should get rid of the ankle bracelet soon! :mrgreen: :wink:
Now you owe me a new keyboard Chris!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Which character are you referring to as "Shasta"? Are you referring to the character "Shasta Delaney" as played by Jennifer O'Neill? Or is there an actor with the name Shasta that I haven't seen in the credits?
Ysabel Kid wrote:
Again, who are you referring to? As I watched the credits last night I saw no actor named "Shasta". So unless you can elaborate I'm gonna suggest you take a gander at the IMDB site for Jennifer O'Neill who played the character Shasta. She has a very long list of credits, not just two.

Joe
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Joe, unless I'm losing it, the female actress went by the name Shasta in the movie did she not? Maybe she did more, but we are talking about the same actress here.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

C. Cash wrote:Joe, unless I'm losing it, the female actress went by the name Shasta in the movie did she not? Maybe she did more, but we are talking about the same actress here.
The only Shasta in Rio Lobo is the character played by Jennifer O'Neill. The reason I wanted to square this up is YK's comment she'd only done two movies then became an entertainment industry executive. This simply isn't correct.
Here's the link to her IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0642198/

Joe
Cosmoline
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cosmoline »

It's an interesting plot, but personally I prefer Rio Bravo.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Cosmoline wrote:It's an interesting plot, but personally I prefer Rio Bravo.
Yeah, I agree.

Joe
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Wait a minute - I was thinking about the dark-haired stunner that was supposedly latin. Now I'm having a senior moment and can't remember her name. Oh well, looks like I will have to watch the movie again. Darn the luck... :wink:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Wait a minute - I was thinking about the dark-haired stunner that was supposedly latin. Now I'm having a senior moment and can't remember her name. Oh well, looks like I will have to watch the movie again. Darn the luck... :wink:
That would be Sherry Lansing.

Joe
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

According to Wikipedia(which is never wrong :wink: ) Jennifer O'Neil was from Brazil of part Spanish descent from her Dad and a white mother. She is the actress who played Shasta Dulaney in Rio Lobo.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jennifer_O%27Neill

I take back what I said about her acting. After having an abortion in her early 20's she became a pro-life activist and a born again Christian. Any woman with enough guts to do those things AND be an actress in Hollywood has my undying respect and admiration. She can act anyway she wants...... :mrgreen:
Steve Collins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steve Collins »

Rio Bravo is one of my favorites also. You also get to see a gorgeous Angie Dickinson in her first movie role! :mrgreen:
Draw quickly, shoot accurately!
S&L Training
www.sandltraining.com

NRA Life Member
Cosmoline
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cosmoline »

RB was Howard Hawk's response to that absurd piece of dreck "High Noon," which Hawks thought was idiotic. If you watch both of them back to back now there's no doubt which one has held up better. The vaunted "High Noon" is lefty Sillywood at its worst, with Gary Cooper stumbling around looking like a puppy. The whole thing is unrealistic and wooden. "Rio Bravo," in contrast was way ahead of its time. The entire opening sequence is without dialog, and the action is fast and brutal. It's been copied hundreds of times--including twice by Hawks himself. But it's never been equaled.