How many of you are going to shoot into the air at midnight?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

How many of you are going to shoot into the air at midnight?

Post by El Chivo »

not me!! :P
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I'm sorry...but...

WHAT KIND OF A MORON DOES THAT??

:shock: :evil: :shock: :evil:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

NO WAY! There are several within ear shot that do. Some have full auto weapons. I don`t own WEAPONS, just SPORTING arms. :wink:
bj94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bj94 »

definitely frowned upon here in the big city.

If I was out in the boonies I might do it occasionally, if for no other reason than to rebuke those unenlightened by Hatcher that claim it is dangerous.
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

No firearms but I have the aerial fireworks all ready to go.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
joakleigh
Levergunner

Post by joakleigh »

Early bedtime for me tonight, I'm hunting with the flintlock tomorrow morning. Then the sparks will fly :wink:
Joshua

My 2 cents nothing more nothing less
dave in maine
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dave in maine »

midnight? who's awake at midnight?only amatures.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I would sometimes like to shoot AT people who shoot their guns in the air near my house :wink: , or worse, take my screaming newborn over and stay up all night with them talking :) My last neighbor always walked out within 10 feet of my house and let fly with his Dad's old L.C. Smith Double....almost every year. Didn't bother me too much as it was firing bird shot and for some reason, it never woke my 2 oldest boys up...slept right through. The same neighborhood resembled Bagdad nearly every year from 12-1AM+ with the high powered deer rifles. Yell, shout, get crazy....carry on all you want, but unless one is out in the country, keep the guns inside the house. Looks a lot better for us as gun owners. Also, I don't have a whole lot of confidence in drunk people who don't know squat about guns to not put a bullet into one of my kids bedrooms. Just my .02 and not judging you brother sobenk.....just letting off a little steam as a sleep deprived parent :x :wink:
Last edited by C. Cash on Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Re: How many of you are going to shoot into the air at midni

Post by gary rice »

when i was a kid i used to fire a couple of blasts with a shotgun in the air, using #9 shot. my dad approved of it.
sobenk wrote:not me!! :P
g rice
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Nope, no blanks.

Besides I plan on being drunk on my keester tonight at midnight ..... assuming I'm still awake.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

We used to shoot off a couple of shotgun rounds but that's all. I bought a few rounds a couple of years back called a Dragon's Breath. I thought about shooting that off in the middle of the road but never have yet.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Bramble
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bramble »

not unless I want to spend a night in a police cell to get away from the family :!:
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

If I really get the urge to make noise I have a carbide cannon with report that equates to a 12 gauge shotgun but no projectile so no fear of harm except maybe to the ear drums. This was a gift from Dad who had the exact same one as a kid. May give it a shot in honor of Dad this being my first New Year without him here.
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

I AM !!!

Well , black powder blanks anyway.

Was going to fire the front stuffers, but I found a box of black powder blanks for the 12ga.

Yep, we're gonna light up them 97's!

...AND I AIN'T GONNA WEAR NO EARPLUGGS!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I just bought a "Ma Duece" 50 BMG full auto. I have 3 belts with 400 rounds per belt, most of it API and I plan on lettin' loose with all of it at a 24 degree angle aiming towards the more populated areas.

For amusement purposes only! :!: :!: :!: I'll be in bed like I am at every night before 11. Its been 30 years since I shot in the air and then it was birdshot, not to mention that at the time there hardly anybody living within a half mile. But every year, there are reports of the gangbangers in Philly shootin' up a storm and someone gettin' hurt. Idiots
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

An extremely inappropriate use of a tool. :cry:
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

A Highway Patrol Officer who lives down the holler from me has an MP-5. He's blasting away with it right now.

I love that sound.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I always like to know where every bullet I fire, goes. Firing them off into the sky is a big no-no in my books.
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

Naw. Too populated around here.

When I was a cop in Houston, I would generally park under a bridge or overpass while the bullets fell to earth.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

HELL, NO! I might, if I had blanks, though.
Mojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mojo »

Nope. Never have and probably never will. It because of stuff like that I stay indoors on New Years and July 4th.
If you can see the big picture, you are not focusing on your front sight.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Intend to turn into a pumpkin about 10:00 PM. :lol:
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Gentlemen,

I don't do that. I do not understand why anyone would do that.

New Orleans has had a big problem with shooting the sky at New Year's time. Tonight, their EMTs are going to wear bullet-proof vests from 11:45 p.m.-to-12:15 a.m.! New Orleans is supposed to have directional sound detectors to help them corner shooters. They claim to have arrested some shooters, in the recent past.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Hagler wrote:Gentlemen,

New Orleans has had a big problem with shooting the sky at New Year's time. Tonight, their EMTs are going to wear bullet-proof vests from 11:45 p.m.-to-12:15 a.m.! New Orleans is supposed to have directional sound detectors to help them corner shooters. They claim to have arrested some shooters, in the recent past.

Shawn
Yeah, during Hurricane Katrina.
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

I believe I will. Every year until he died, my father would cut the shot off a shell and take his Remington pump gun out the front door and greet the New Year. He's gone nearly 33 years now...
I now live in Virginia on the Chickahominy River with about 100 acres of marsh in front of the house. Around Christmas 2006, I found nine paper roll crimp duck loads in his hunting coat. There were five Super-X "Short Shot String" 4's and four Remington Express "Extra Long Range" 4's. The shells are probably 60 years old. At any rate, I took the Model 10 (which he bought at Sears, Roebuck in 1928) out on the deck, and greeted 2007 with one of the Super-X shells. In about 40 minutes I'll use one of the
Remington shells to greet 2007. I hope to live long enough to use up the rest. (And, man, nothing smells, or brings back memories, like a fired paper shotgun shell...)
A Happy, Healthy, and Prosperous New Year to all!
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

airedaleman wrote:I believe I will. Every year until he died, my father would cut the shot off a shell and take his Remington pump gun out the front door and greet the New Year. He's gone nearly 33 years now...
I now live in Virginia on the Chickahominy River with about 100 acres of marsh in front of the house. Around Christmas 2006, I found nine paper roll crimp duck loads in his hunting coat. There were five Super-X "Short Shot String" 4's and four Remington Express "Extra Long Range" 4's. The shells are probably 60 years old. At any rate, I took the Model 10 (which he bought at Sears, Roebuck in 1928) out on the deck, and greeted 2007 with one of the Super-X shells. In about 40 minutes I'll use one of the
Remington shells to greet 2007. I hope to live long enough to use up the rest. (And, man, nothing smells, or brings back memories, like a fired paper shotgun shell...)
A Happy, Healthy, and Prosperous New Year to all!
A neat way to remember your Dad. Happy New Year!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I have never understood this type of behavior??????
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[How many of you are going to shoot into the air at midnight?]

Wal............... I did..........But.........It twarn't no firearm. :oops: :wink: :lol:
Hairy Clipper
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hairy Clipper »

Well, I would have, sort of. My trusty Winchester Signal Cannon firing 10 gauge black powder blanks fills the noise making void without the dangers of projectiles and Newton's Law of Gravity. The problem is, I dozed off about 10:35 and missed the appointed hour. Anyway,

Happy New Year Levergunners!

Hairy
This ain't Dodge City and you ain't Bill Hickok!-Mathew Quigley
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

not me. wanted to let the frontstuffer off but have always thought the better of it. Some liberals live too close. :lol: :twisted:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Longfin
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Longfin »

Not this year, but certainly have fired a shotgun into the air on occassions. I also have a small blackpowder cannon that makes a satisfying sound and flash, but then I have to run out into the back yard to put out the smoldering wad of cotton it has launched. But would never fire a center-fire in a populated area. What goes up, must come down. For that round to have penetrated two people sounds more like directional fire than the effects of gravity.
Zack
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

They have the directional devices in Los Angeles too, plus they ban ammo sales during the week before New Year's and the week before the 4th of July. The target ranges are open but they can't sell ammo. That's just within the city, though, if you go over to Burbank you can buy ammo.

Apparently that's a big form of celebration within the Hispanic community. The authorities even put up posters asking people not to do it.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

ScottT wrote:Naw. Too populated around here.

When I was a cop in Houston, I would generally park under a bridge or overpass while the bullets fell to earth.

Scott,
When I lived in Phoenix at around 11:00PM on the 4th of July and New Years all Police and Emergency helicopters were grounded and most police officers were like you said, under the bridges or somewhere safe.
Some years it sounded like an all out war. Many times I expect to hear lead rain fall. But never did.
I'm hoping they got most of that stopped now. That much shooting was idiotic.

Here in Spfld we heard a few strings of fire crackers but no gun shots. Guess it was too cold.

Ganjiro,
Did you fire off your carbide cannon?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Dug a .357 JHP out of the roof on my first house. Probably been there for a few years ( before we owned the house) the bottom of the slug was sticking out of a shingle at a pretty low angle. If the Butt head that fired it had aimed a half inch lower it would have gone right through the kitchen window!
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
dgr416
Levergunner 2.0

Shooting in the air.

Post by dgr416 »

I just saw on the news where a cities water tank was hit new years.They were having to drain it all the way down to fix it.It was in Georgia I think where there is a severe drought.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Water towers are constantly being hit. I'd hate to live near one. Wind drift at tha angle can do some creepy things.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
bfm
Levergunner

Post by bfm »

Hagler wrote:Gentlemen,

Cause fireworks are illegal here. :shock:

(No, I wouldn't do it either)
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

We use to shoot a shotgun with bird shot straight up above, but now they have a law that they enforce. I think falling bird shot is a lot safer than falling fireworks. Just ask a volunteer firefighter.

Humbly,
bogie
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Bogie,

I think that birdshot isn't life threatening, although someone could get an eye put out. Our silhouette range is next to the skeet range, and they often fire over the hill and the shot comes down on us. You can hear it spattering in the leaves of the trees, and I have felt it on my hat. There's not much force in it, probably because of the light weight.

But I would be against doing even that. Not to mention if the report got picked up by the sound detectors, you would have some 'splainin to do.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

I saw an episode of "Cops" where some idiot cop was chewing some guys butt for shooting birdshot into the air on a holiday. The guy was just barely inside the city limits, but this cop just HAD to be a jerk about it. I guess he had to look like a nazi for the camera.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Mohillbilly
Levergunner

Post by Mohillbilly »

I used to empty my 12ga.(10shots of #7 1/2s) on to my 8 acres, out back.Then I discovered ag bird bombs.Wow really loud when launched over my valley....Now instead I just blow the train air horns.I'm outa the city limits and can legaly hunt bunnies,tree rats,or my pet deer that walk thru the barn.I worry about the fireworks sett'n the woods afire.