.357 wadcutters

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

.357 wadcutters

Post by azmark »

Anybody got a pet recipe for 148 gr HBWCs in .357 brass?
Mark Dickinson
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: .357 wadcutters

Post by Terry Murbach »

FOUR GRAINS OF BULLSEYE UNDER JUST ABOUT ANY WADCUTTER BULLET IN 357MAG BRASS [ HERTER BRASS IS MY FAVORITE FOR SAME... ] HAS SHOT UP A STORM IN EVERY 357MAG SIXGUN I EVER OWNED. IT RUNS ABOUT 850FPS OR SO AND KILLS STUFF DEADER THAN CANNED TUNA LIKE RIGHT FREAKIN' NOW.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Good thread! I've got a bucket full of HBWC's, I'll give that load a try it sounds like a good one.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I have got alot of wad cuutters too but no Bullseye, I'll check with a couple of friends that load.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azmark »

Terry Murbach wrote:FOUR GRAINS OF BULLSEYE UNDER JUST ABOUT ANY WADCUTTER BULLET IN 357MAG BRASS [ HERTER BRASS IS MY FAVORITE FOR SAME... ] HAS SHOT UP A STORM IN EVERY 357MAG SIXGUN I EVER OWNED. IT RUNS ABOUT 850FPS OR SO AND KILLS STUFF DEADER THAN CANNED TUNA LIKE RIGHT FREAKIN' NOW.
I gotta ask...I was just told on another forum that wadcutters will lead up the barrel if driven faster than about 800 fps. Do you have that problem? The same guy said that at 850 fps or more, there's a likelihood of the skirt separating inside the barrel. I'd never heard that before. Do you cast your own, or use commercially made WCs?
Mark Dickinson
sparky141
Levergunner

Post by sparky141 »

I use 3 grs. of bullseye under those 148 gr HBWC , and 4 grs under anyother wad cutter .
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

azmark what you were told is true when using swaged HBWC. Since the bullet is made of dead soft lead and the skirt is relatively thin. If one was to load toward the upper end with this bullet yes the skirt can seperate and stay bend in the barrel. However if you are using DEWC you don't have to worry about the skirt and load as you would any other bullet. I would not waste my money or time with swaged wadcutters instead get some good cast DEWC load and have fun. I just got a box of these to try out in my M10, however I haven't made it to the range yet.
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

I use that 4gr bullseye load with a cast wadcutter, fun to shoot, very accurate and as Terry says it will flat take out small game right now.
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azmark »

My Lee reloading book has a wadcutter load for both .38 and .357 using 800x, which I have. Don't have any Bullseye.

I've used the 800x with some .38 spl brass and Remington HBWCs for plinking and it seemed OK. A guy at a different forum told me that 800x was no good for HBWCs. It worked, so why would it be a problem? It was the only powder listed for 148 gr wadcutters on the card I got with the Lee Loader I was using.

Is this guy just being difficult?
Mark Dickinson
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

azmark wrote:Is this guy just being difficult?
If he won't say where he got his info, discount what he says.
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azmark »

Well, he said 800x is too slow for a HBWC. Lee has been testing loads for decades, and I don't think he would list a problematic load. I don't have the book with me, but I don't think 800x is that far down the list from bullseye.

Any other thoughts?
Mark Dickinson