Grizzly 30-30 WIN 170 Grain Hawk FP ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Grizzly 30-30 WIN 170 Grain Hawk FP ?

Post by cshold »

Just out of curiosity, have any of you ever tried these?
Shewwww :o $52.95 a box though. :shock:
http://www.grizzlycartridge.com/-strse- ... Detail.bok
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Grizzly 30-30 WIN 170 Grain Hawk FP ?

Post by JerryB »

I think I'll stick with the old Remington 170 grain corelokt load for that price.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

$52.95!
Caramba!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

We have shot a bunch of them. They are by far the hardest hitting round we've seen on medium to large deer size critters when the distance exceeds 100 yds. Very good expansion and penetration when you are out there at 150 -200 yds compared to core-lokt, and similar bullets. Of course, if you're shooting that far you probably have a scoped rifle. It is a very good bullet/velocity combo for small black bear over bait. I would not recommend it for bears that average over 300 pounds. The cartridge loaded like this excels when you push the trajectory limits or are in a heavier class of thin skinned game. For deer hunting, hogs and 100 yds or less you really don't need them.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

interesting to see if they sell at that price. you can usually get corelocts, just before deer season at under $10.00 a box at the box stores. if i could afford that price, i'd chose a 45-70, 444, or a .348 for less. more effective on the big stuff. i think a hardcast 190gr. at over 2000fps. priced at $20.00 a box would have a wider appeal for the typical 30wcf. user. they would be just as effective on the big stuff, anyway.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

The Texas Game Warden's use them (if they use a personally owned 30-30) because they are accuracte and provide a slight edge if they are utilized to shoot cattle that got hit by a car or other big stuff. My friend Jorge (Medina County) goes through 40 rounds a year regularly.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

For specialized purposes, I can see the point, or flat point as it may be. For everything I have ever hunted with a .30-30, they would not be necessary. I have the luxury of having more than 1 gun, so I can match the gun to the hunt a little easier, and don't really need to get the super high quality ammunition for the most part. I have shot some of Grizzley's stuff. If you are going to go beyond the limits of normal factory ammo, then yes it would be worth it. Mike doesn't do anything halfway.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I don't doubt "86er" for a minute but then again, I've hunted and killed Elk with my .30-30 using factory loaded Winchester Super X 170gr Power Points. Most within 100 yards one at 150 yards + . That same round is very effective on Mule Deer too. I've also used some factory loaded Winchester Super X 170gr Silvertip with good results.

I don't doubt that the Grizzly ammo is effective but for the money they're asking, I'm not going to get any to try when the Winchester factory fodder in 170gr works so well.
Last edited by Modoc ED on Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
ED
Yer never too old
Timothy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Timothy »

Sometimes I think the only thing that keeps these companies in buisness is curious first time buyers. I've never known anyone who hunted with grizzly or buff bore ammo exclusively. I know many who have shot a box or two myself included. Those high performance loads they offer usually require radical sight adjustment and at 2 dollars a shot plus the need to rezero to shoot any other ammo makes the whole experience rather nerve racking imho. Can you imagine the cost of sighting in a new 30-30 with irons and scope, practicing, and having to stick with that hard to find ammo for 53 dollars a box? No thanks, in fact I doubt if anyone has actually done that.
Cosmoline
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cosmoline »

They look on the pricey side, but then again these days EVERYTHING on the ammo and reloading shelf is on the pricey side--assuming you can find it. We're like a Soviet grocery store up here. Guys are swapping primers to stay operational.

And I can say they aren't as silly as the "SWAT" frangible .30-30 rounds I bought one time for laughs.